Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Banned

Default 30-06 Factory Ammunition Choice

I didn't find a thread on this when I searched so I'll start a new one. Sorry if already discussed. What factory ammo have you found to shoot the best. My gun is an early 80's Remington Model 700. I've been shooting 165 grain Remington Core-lockt (think that's what its called) but I have to buy some new ammo and wouldn't mind trying something that is better. I haven't had a chance to shoot other ammo (haven't been able to get to range) so I'd like to at least buy something that is better than what I have now if possible.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:23 PM

Flip a coin and buy a box, test the ammo for accuracy and pick what works best....we need more info. to be able to give you a direction.

....you want "better" ammo, what do you mean by "better"....flashy box and marketing campaigns?.....better terminal performance?.....more hydrostatic shock? (this is a joke for some people to put a smile on their face )

What are you hunting?
What are you willing to spend per box?

LC
Old 09-06-2012, 03:33 PM

Every 06 I own and have owned, shot/shoots the Winchester Supreme 168 grain Nosler Combined Technologies bullet very well.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Banned

Okay, maybe I should reword this.

I'm only hunting deer for now, but hopefully in a couple/three years I'll get a moose draw.

Just a good all-round factory ammunition that shoots fairly straight. I know there are many types, but I'd assume there's a few that seem to stand out for many? If not, okay.

I'm just getting back into shooting/hunting after a many year hiatus (for my son as he wants to learn and do it) so just looking for advice from anyone willing to share.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:41 PM

The load that you are using will do just fine for deer. You really don't need to spend any more, but if you choose to, consider a load using the 165gr Ballistic Tip,Accubond,SST, or Interbond.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Banned

Thanks guys.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:19 PM

I personally avoid any lead bullets now. Try the Barnes vortx tipped tsx bullets. They retain close to 100% weight, foul your barrel less, and out of my .300 the 180g factory loads are grouping just over 1 inch. Out of your 30-06, I'd go with a 150-165g bullet. 180g for elk and moose only. As a warning, these are $60/box. But you're paying for performance (and full copper lol)
Old 09-06-2012, 05:33 PM

x2 on the Hornady Interbond. May also want to look at Fusions.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300wsm3006rem View Post
I personally avoid any lead bullets now. Try the Barnes vortx tipped tsx bullets. They retain close to 100% weight, foul your barrel less, and out of my .300 the 180g factory loads are grouping just over 1 inch. Out of your 30-06, I'd go with a 150-165g bullet. 180g for elk and moose only. As a warning, these are $60/box. But you're paying for performance (and full copper lol)

It's the solid copper bullets such as the Barnes that foul more. There are alternatives such as Hornady's GMX bullet that are made of solid gilding metal (copper alloyed with zinc) that foul less than the Barnes, but retain the same performance characteristics.

In a .30-06 there will be so many choices it will be down to the construction type you want and what works best in your particular rifle. I like Interbonds, but an Accubond is essentially the same thing. The tipped Trophy Bonded Bear Claw is also stoutly constructed and available in Federal's Premium line. Really I think you'll have a hard time finding something that doesn't perform well for you as far as the projectile is concerned, but getting the one most accurate in your gun is where your quest will focus. I had good experience with inexpensive Fusions in one rifle as well.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:44 PM
Gone Hunting

[QUOTE=CaberTosser;1594209]It's the solid copper bullets such as the Barnes that foul more. There are alternatives such as Hornady's GMX bullet that are made of solid gilding metal (copper alloyed with zinc) that foul less than the Barnes, but retain the same performance characteristics."

When did you shot Barnes bullets....20 years ago or so, X bullets perhaps
TSX, TTSX they do not foul your bore more than regular cup and core bullets.

I'm shooting 150 gr TTSX from 30-06, handloads but you can get them in Barnes Vortex, or you can get Hornady Superformance with Hornady GMX bullet.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 09-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargineyesore View Post
I didn't find a thread on this when I searched so I'll start a new one. Sorry if already discussed. What factory ammo have you found to shoot the best. My gun is an early 80's Remington Model 700. I've been shooting 165 grain Remington Core-lockt (think that's what its called) but I have to buy some new ammo and wouldn't mind trying something that is better. I haven't had a chance to shoot other ammo (haven't been able to get to range) so I'd like to at least buy something that is better than what I have now if possible.
What dont you like about the corelokt? I'd try a variety of bullets chosen on what I want for terminal performance and let your rifle choose.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:55 PM

I shoot 180 Grain Federals. Sounds cheap, but i shoot half-inch groups with it and deer go down fast.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:27 PM

I used to shoot federal 165 partitions before, my 06 has sat in the gun safe for too long so I re-worked the stock and sighted in with 150 interbonds, I have a box and a half of 180 federal accubonds to that shoot allright.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:38 PM

For deer anything off the shelf will work. I just buy whatever is on sale. You really don't need a super fancy bullet.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:43 PM

just buy some ammo shoot it see what your rifle likes my 30-06 likes 180 g rounds every rifle is different
Old 09-09-2012, 09:47 AM

Flipping the coin is actually good advice. Buy three boxes of cheap stuff and shoot it. I handload, but recently picked up a box of Fusions for my .270, as my buddy wanted to shoot my rifle. They shot the lights out. This guy has never shot a gun and he was shooting 1" groupings consistently at 100 yards. For real. Every gun has its own preferences, but many people in various threads have been reporting having real good luck with Fusion ammo, and it is reasonably priced.

Good luck
Old 09-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Flipping the coin is actually good advice. Buy three boxes of cheap stuff and shoot it. I handload, but recently picked up a box of Fusions for my .270, as my buddy wanted to shoot my rifle. They shot the lights out. This guy has never shot a gun and he was shooting 1" groupings consistently at 100 yards. For real. Every gun has its own preferences, but many people in various threads have been reporting having real good luck with Fusion ammo, and it is reasonably priced.

Good luck
Good advice but one would need to know why he's changing amo befor giving a good reccomendation. Fusion is good amo, but despite the hype about bonded bullets, their terminal performance is very similar to Corelocts. I have dug plenty of both out of moose and deer and could post pictures if you dont beleve this statement.

If he wants tougher try monolithic and partitioned bullets, if he wants more expansion try bullets like the balistic tip, sst, and powerpoint. If he just wants to spend more money then try the premium bonded bullets. If he's lost his faith in Remington and wants another good all around bullet then try some of the cheaper bonded and mechanicly locked bullets. There is no easy answere to his question untill one knows what he wants out of his bullets.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:15 PM

I too have killed dozens of deer and many moose with Core-Lokts. Nothing wrong with them at all.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Banned

Only reason is because when I want to buy some, they didn't have the Core-locts, so I didn't buy anything as I didn't know what would be a decent quality ammo (mostly for shooting straight, sighted in on the core-locts) would be. No special reason really.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargineyesore View Post
Only reason is because when I want to buy some, they didn't have the Core-locts, so I didn't buy anything as I didn't know what would be a decent quality ammo (mostly for shooting straight, sighted in on the core-locts) would be. No special reason really.
Your going to have to check your zero no matter what you buy, and most likely sight in again as well. For deer anything will work, if you will be hunting bigger animals too locked bullets like the Interlock or bonded like the Fusion or Power Max amo in appropriate weights are a good starting point. These will behave much like a Coreloct when they hit animals but they may shoot very differently.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:20 PM

Default choices

I have had real good accuracy with the inexpensive Federal Blue box ammo. I have tried it in 308 and 243. FS
Old 09-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Banned

Thanks for all the replies. Useful info for someone just getting back into the shooting game after about 35 yrs. Shot a bit when a youngster, but we weren't that technical about it at that time, just around the farm and didn't know our guns as well as those of you know yours. Just got to get more time on the range obviously and experiment.