Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-05-2012, 10:42 AM

Default Semi-Automatic VS Revolver for the End of the World

Yeah I'm being over-dramatic but you get the idea

Won't be soon but I'm toying with the idea of getting a gun to keep at home. Not terribly interested in wearing it around in public or anything (although taking it in the woods would be nice if it were legal) and not that worried about home invasion either.

Mostly thinking it would be good to have if my generation or the next has to deal with a week of riots or something along those lines. I think that's reasonably possible. And yes if there's a war or outbreak of zombies or whatever then it's for that too

So I've got an affinity for the classics and naturally the stainless revolver gets my attention. But beyond the aesthetics, it's a tried and true design that isn't complicated. Uncomplicated could be a virtue if civilization breaks down and all the gunsmiths are either dead or shooting at you lol.

On the other hand you have something like a Glock which I hear is a very reliable gun. Holds more rounds too. Still has the complication factor though; if it does break, it's a door stop.

I'm curious what the different opinions will be.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:49 AM

Semi-auto would be my choice. Useful for self-defence or hunting to feed yourself. I'd also rather defend myself at a couple hundred yards range.

Second question would be what calibre? Obviously a really popular one to ensure ammo availability.... but do you go for something like 30-06, or a military calibre assuming a lot of that might be floating around after the apocalypse? All I know is no WSM for me.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:53 AM

Beretta... To me, they're the AK-47 of the pistol world. reliable, easy to work on and tough. 1911's are a good choice too. They are really easy to work on as well. You can COMPLETELY take them down. All the tools you need to do this are in the gun. (I know, I've done this with mine.)
And spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:58 AM

Auto's are no more complicated than revolvers.....just different. Lots of moving parts in a revolver that can break down. 9mm is the most readily availabe ammo.....and inexpensive to boot.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Semi-auto would be my choice. Useful for self-defence or hunting to feed yourself. I'd also rather defend myself at a couple hundred yards range.

Second question would be what calibre? Obviously a really popular one to ensure ammo availability.... but do you go for something like 30-06, or a military calibre assuming a lot of that might be floating around after the apocalypse? All I know is no WSM for me.
oks i think he was meaning semi auto pistol vs. revolver

for me i'd go semi auto...personally i shoot them better than revolvers and i find the reload quicker and easier with a semi. i will eventually have at least 2...a 9mm (hopefully the HK) and a .45acp (1911)
Old 09-05-2012, 11:55 AM

Reading up a little on the 1911 and it might be just what I want. Any good sources for new or used ones? Still not buying right now, I've still got to get the license.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
oks i think he was meaning semi auto pistol vs. revolver
ahhhh... thank you. Geezeritis coming on strong these days. I have to read more carefully. LOL
Old 09-05-2012, 12:08 PM

I'll take the best of both worlds. We've got two hands for a reason.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 09-05-2012, 01:24 PM

The semi is what I have in my home, a couple of them in fact, forget about taking them out to the woods or back country excursions. It's from home to the range and back home period. I may be corrected but if not mistaken getting caught with a hand gun where the paper work does not allow it can result in automatic jail time. My permit is to the range only and the gun must be in a locked case, plus a trigger lock as well when transported.

Read up on the laws in Canada the "reasonable force" clause makes using a gun in Canada for self defence a real crap shoot. Here it doesn't matter how threatened you feel during a home invasion it's how some judge interprets how much "reasonable force" was exercised. You could do some serious pen time by thinking you were protecting your family.

Sadly there is a lot more to consider than a revolver or a semi when it comes to owning a pistol in Canada.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Gone Hunting

Old time revolver for me like the ones in the old hor****ter movies. The never ran out of ammo.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 09-05-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapper View Post
The semi is what I have in my home, a couple of them in fact, forget about taking them out to the woods or back country excursions. It's from home to the range and back home period. I may be corrected but if not mistaken getting caught with a hand gun where the paper work does not allow it can result in automatic jail time. My permit is to the range only and the gun must be in a locked case, plus a trigger lock as well when transported.

Read up on the laws in Canada the "reasonable force" clause makes using a gun in Canada for self defence a real crap shoot. Here it doesn't matter how threatened you feel during a home invasion it's how some judge interprets how much "reasonable force" was exercised. You could do some serious pen time by thinking you were protecting your family.

Sadly there is a lot more to consider than a revolver or a semi when it comes to owning a pistol in Canada.
Yeah I know about the carry laws and they're a real downer. Makes owning a handgun nearly useless from a legal point of view.

However I subscribe to the notion that chaos will pop up every now and again, it's just a matter of time. If Calgary ever pulls a New Orleans then I'm not going to give a flying **** what some judge thinks. In that situation I'll do what I have to and deal with the consequences if and when they arise.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:28 PM
Banned

One of each. (minimum).

I would go with the semi-auto. Once you've taken one apart a couple times, they really are pretty simple. (at least a basic field strip). AND you have the option of rapid reloads with magazines. Personally, I think the 1911 is the creme de la creme of pistols. (lots will argue of course, glock has a huge following as well)

Having said that, you can't go wrong with something like a 686 plus, or an R8. Almost as many shots as legally allowed in a semi...just not as quick on the reload. And there is that certain intangible thing about a revolver...they're just cool. But then so is a 1911. Like I said...don't limit yourself. lol.

I would forget about using it for anything other than range time though. If you really feel you need a firearm for self defence I'd go with your bird gun. The law will look much more favourably on you if have a smoking 20g side by side in your hands than a semi auto pistol. Just saying. Although these days I'm thinking I'd rather let the criminal lay a good beating on me than have to bother with being drug through the "justice" system of Canada.

Last edited by rugatika; 09-05-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:01 PM

just make sure you put a round in the ceiling after the bad guy quits moving...that was your warning shot
Old 09-05-2012, 03:22 PM

Lol maybe a board with a nail in it then.

I'm leaning in the direction of the 1911, it's a classic in its own right and it's got an elegance

I'm sort of examining the Rock Island Armory reproductions of it. A little on the cheap side but the reviews are positive. And it's upgradable with better parts.

I'd love to have a real colt but they seem to get awfully pricey.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:42 PM

Less evidence if the casings stay in the gun...revolver for dirty work. I wish...
Old 09-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Banned

I own many pistols, and most are semi autos. I own 3 Tokarevs, and have the 9mm barrels and 7.62x25 barrels. They are a very simple pistol. Much more simple than a Beretta or a 1911 or even the Glocks. I like the 7.62x25 cartridge as it is very powerful for a pistol round; what it lacks in knock down force, it makes up for in penetration. Some of the surplus rounds available are able to penetrate body armor, where the larger pistol rounds don't. The casing can be made from 5.56 rounds if they get hard to find ammo for, and with the 9mm barrel, it gives an easy alternative to feed it. And you can buy them for less than $200. They are also relatively accurate too. Only issue is it is only 8rnd magazine, and has a stiff trigger.

As for the home defense and Canadian laws, I have been told several times by LEO's that dead men tell no lies. Like TheClash said, make sure the warning shot is in the ceiling. Personally I think the warning shot would be in the forehead, and the followup shot in the ceiling. But I don't see any real need for home defense yet, but maybe when the Zombie Apocalypse starts, then maybe I may loosen my storage controls, and just sleep with a short barreled 12gauge.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
I own many pistols, and most are semi autos. I own 3 Tokarevs, and have the 9mm barrels and 7.62x25 barrels. They are a very simple pistol. Much more simple than a Beretta or a 1911 or even the Glocks. I like the 7.62x25 cartridge as it is very powerful for a pistol round; what it lacks in knock down force, it makes up for in penetration. Some of the surplus rounds available are able to penetrate body armor, where the larger pistol rounds don't. The casing can be made from 5.56 rounds if they get hard to find ammo for, and with the 9mm barrel, it gives an easy alternative to feed it. And you can buy them for less than $200. They are also relatively accurate too. Only issue is it is only 8rnd magazine, and has a stiff trigger.

As for the home defense and Canadian laws, I have been told several times by LEO's that dead men tell no lies. Like TheClash said, make sure the warning shot is in the ceiling. Personally I think the warning shot would be in the forehead, and the followup shot in the ceiling. But I don't see any real need for home defense yet, but maybe when the Zombie Apocalypse starts, then maybe I may loosen my storage controls, and just sleep with a short barreled 12gauge.

Notice I said do it after the bad guy is down.....and not moving lol.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Notice I said do it after the bad guy is down.....and not moving lol.
I like head shots. Not to many animals run after they get hit in the head. Human animals included.

However my hunting partner shot a deer last year in the head (or maybe year before). When he went to go get it, it got up and ran away. He shot the antler off, and because he saw the animal go down, and since he was aiming for the head, he left his rifle in the truck, and was some disappointed to have this happen.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:30 PM

my cousin got shot in the head by a home invader...shot with a .22 in the side of his head..the bullet did not penetrate his skull rather it circled around his forehead just under his skin and stopped on the opposite side of his head....they kept him in the hospital over night just for observations but he walked out the next day...crazy story.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post

Thanks for mentioning the Tokarev, I think I like them. Big fan of elegant simplicity when it counts.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Cool View Post
Lol maybe a board with a nail in it then.

I'm leaning in the direction of the 1911, it's a classic in its own right and it's got an elegance

I'm sort of examining the Rock Island Armory reproductions of it. A little on the cheap side but the reviews are positive. And it's upgradable with better parts.

I'd love to have a real colt but they seem to get awfully pricey.
I'm not sure how much the Rock Islands are, I'm not too familiar with them, but a couple other companies to look at if you want to stay under the Kimber/Springfield price range, you could have a look at STI Spartan ($800 or so) or the STI Trojan around 1100, or the new Ruger 1911 which may be hard to track down but it's also a pretty fair price.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:26 PM

I want a 1909 new service colt in .45 or a new century smith &wesson in 44 special. I figure I be goin out anyway'n may aswell have a cool wheelgun in my hands when I cross the big river....
Old 09-05-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
just make sure you put a round in the ceiling after the bad guy quits moving...that was your warning shot
As huntnstuff pointed out in a previous thread that shows premeditation and provides for a guilty verdict at your trial.

If you are in fear for your life you shoot the bad guy....not your house.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:26 PM

save the 9mm for the girls,get a 45 acp 1911.and 5 magazines for it.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:27 PM

Hmm. What a disappointing thread. Not a single mention of Sigs on here. To hell and back reliability. Easily taken apart and worked on (much simpler than 1911s). The double/single action is simple to get used to, decocker makes them very safe without having a safety to worry about. Yup. Get a Sig. Or 6, like I did. P226, P220, P229....all good.

For the record, I also have two GP100s, 4.2 and 6" SS, and a S&W 629, 6" SS. Because wheel guns are way sexy too.

Because I take my target shooting seriously.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-05-2012, 07:29 PM

Think I would want my S & W 686, 357 mag. I got autos too, but I would want that one. Pretty much unbreakable.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 09-05-2012, 08:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
Think I would want my S & W 686, 357 mag. I got autos too, but I would want that one. Pretty much unbreakable.
I just put a kingwood monogrip on my 686+...damn nice. There is something about those revolvers that goes beyond the teutonic practicality of a semi. That's why it's sooo important to have one (or more) of each.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:27 PM

I don't think it would be so much a question of what type, but what cartridge to have the hand gun chambered in.
One would need to endure a steady supply of ammo, so something like the 44 mag would not be so plentiful to find as say, the 45ACP or the 9mm.
My .455 new Service would be a non starter in that case!!
Cat
Old 09-06-2012, 08:31 AM

I would be hard pressed not to have something 22lr, and a 12 guage with lee 12ga slug mold and a pocket reloader.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:09 AM

If it would come to the question what gun for home defense?
I would go for my colt officer or S&W M&P in 38 special.
I own the usual suspect in 44mag 45acp and 9mm as well but with mostly wooden or drywall in the Canadian homes I just don't want to shoot thrue my home and into someone else's home.
A 125 grain HP would be my choice. And 2 hks speedloader .

Just thoughts...

GermanHunter