Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-16-2008, 12:07 PM

Default Help!!

First it was a .40 cal semi auto pistol .
"But Dad, it's sooo cool, amd my buddy's selling iot for a great price!"
Why couldn't it be a 1911, or even better, a single action revolver, like my colt?

Now , what does he want to buy? A freakin' semi auto RIFLE!!
Not just any semi auto, but one of these!

A H&K SL8 !!
Of course Old badger is not much help either, I actually think he enjoys it
"I'll just leave it here for him to think about..." Yeah, right!
"what do you want a "tin can killer" for, anyway?" says .
"But Dad, it would be a GREAT gopher slayer!!"
"Kid, look outside, we live 300 miles from the nearest gopher!!"

" But Dad..."
Well, at least it's not one of those AR's, this one is non restricted.
Cat
Old 03-16-2008, 12:22 PM

Iye she lacks wood fer yah cat but I say shes a wee sexy beasty I donha wana to noo the cost ofherr
Old 03-16-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bear View Post
Iye she lacks wood fer yah cat but I say shes a wee sexy beasty I donha wana to noo the cost ofherr
Put ot this way, you could buy a Ruger No.1 all dressed up with custom mounts and a Swarovski scope!!
cat
Old 03-16-2008, 02:10 PM

come on cat lets go pick up a couple and go deer hunting
Old 03-16-2008, 02:25 PM

Cat:

O.K...........is it not YOU that has been his biggest influence in this entire gun interest (perhaps substitute interest with "obsession")..............are you really that surprised?

Details? Caliber? Is there nothing up there to substitute for gophers..........maybe near the dump (the northern white gophers with wings)?
Old 03-16-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud slug View Post
come on cat lets go pick up a couple and go deer hunting
Now THAT'S funny!!! - uh, NO!
Cat
Old 03-16-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnydipper View Post
Cat:

O.K...........is it not YOU that has been his biggest influence in this entire gun interest (perhaps substitute interest with "obsession")..............are you really that surprised?

Details? Caliber? Is there nothing up there to substitute for gophers..........maybe near the dump (the northern white gophers with wings)?
it`s a .223 and apparantly the most accurate out of the box semi available in .223.
Now, as far as MY influence goes, I have NEVER advocated he shoot semis, in fact the only semi auto anything in the house is my dear old dad`s 1100 12 guage trap gun, and it doesn`t get shot but once a year or so.
I do not know where he ever got this semi auot itch from, but it weren`t from me!!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 03-16-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:34 PM

Yeah you gotta get that one, looks like fun.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:43 PM

I have one Cat, and I love it. Like you, I am a rifle biggot. If it doesn't have wood, I will sneer in disgust. I don't care how accurate and practical a plastic gun is, I don't like it.

Then I burned up my prize No. 1 shooting at targets. I was just going to buy another one or re-barrel when I broke down and decided to shoot one of these plastic squirt guns just to prove I have an open mind.

It was the best thing I ever did.

I clean my SL8 once a month. Thanks to the chrome lined barrel, it hardly fouls at all. Clean up is a snap and done in minutes. A kid at the range bumped it off the bench and it clattered to the ground and he thought I was going to kill him...but it is a battle rifle at heart, and I could care less. When I finally do shoot it out, I will throw it away and smile. Try doing that with a gorgeous No. 1! And it shoots better too!

I was so impressed with the Heckler and Puke that I went out and bought one of the USP .45's - and it is the same way: accurate, robust, easy to clean and a joy to shoot! I prefer it to my beloved 1911 too!

You all are in for some good shooting fun over there. Good luck with your new acquisition.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:50 PM

You're not really helping here, Rusty!!
You coulda bought two No.1 custom barrels with what those things cost new!!
"Rifle biggot" , you say? YUP! That would be me!!
make it wood, and a single shot for a hunting rifle, or an accurate iron sighted match rifle, and you have my undecided attention!!
Cat
Old 03-16-2008, 05:03 PM

Sorry Cat. I realize I have sinned and will no doubt be punished by the Rifle Gods appropriately. I would of course prefer a top notch M14 to the SL8, but a fine specimen from the Springfield Armoury costs even more.

That is probably the only real gripe I have against the SL8. I would like to see it available with precision iron sights too.

But, dammit, they should be available for the No. 1 too. I am kicking around the idea of a No. 1 with half round, half octagonal barrel with vernier sights...but then the black powder geeks with the Sharps and rolling blocks will be howling for my blood and calling me an imposter.

Too many guns, and so little time and cash...
Old 03-16-2008, 05:11 PM

They won't let this type of rifle shoot in their sandbox because it isn't a traditional action nor is the rear sight.
Gotta be a tang sight for them.

That doesn't mean it won't shoot however.
Stick those same sights on a prone match rifle and you can zing targets all the way out to 1K.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 03-20-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:09 PM

Those black powder geeks ain't stupid. I wouldn't want to compete against a sniper with a rifle like that either!

Do you shoot BPCR Cat?
Old 03-16-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty P. Bucket View Post
Those black powder geeks ain't stupid. I wouldn't want to compete against a sniper with a rifle like that either!

Do you shoot BPCR Cat?
Sniper?? No, that would be my older brother regular Armed Forces
2RCR Captain, Queen's Medalist winner, canadian forces rifle team captain and coach , REAL sniper, etc , etc.,
me, I'm a hack next to him!
No, I don't compete in BPCR, but have shot the same sillhouettes, just had to get rid of my BP target rifles, not enough time for all of them.
I shot BP rifles for about 25 years steady however...
Cat
Old 03-16-2008, 08:12 PM

kinda looks like it has some rudimentary open sights on that plastic spar thingy that hangs out over the barrel .

gotta be a cool gun for the younger generation these days. face it cat you're passe! wood ... bluing... no place for them on a space gun.

besides if the kid starts out shooting you with it (as per usual) you can attack it with crazy glue when he's not looking.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:42 PM

gee cat ... 2 deleted posts after my silly post. i'm hoping i didn't offend with my goofiness.
iwas trying to say in an off hand way that most rifles i've seen going out of the gunstores are plastic stocked... nice wood seems to be on the way out.
maybe it's because GOOD wood is getting harder to get.
i have heard of these guns that R is looking at and all i know is they are scary accurate, and in my eyes ugly to the extreme.
ah well ... you can always take heart in the fact that you have raised a shooter to carry on the family passion.
he'll probably lose interest in this rifle when he spends 8 hours reloading for 15 minutes of shooting.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:34 PM

cat you weren't really expecting any real help from guys here?

could it be that your kids just a bit more modern in his attitudes?

btw i've had a chance to shoot the G36 and it is fun. I suspect the SL8 would be very similar and obviously they were designed for abuse.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhead View Post
gee cat ... 2 deleted posts after my silly post. i'm hoping i didn't offend with my goofiness.
iwas trying to say in an off hand way that most rifles i've seen going out of the gunstores are plastic stocked... nice wood seems to be on the way out.
maybe it's because GOOD wood is getting harder to get.
i have heard of these guns that R is looking at and all i know is they are scary accurate, and in my eyes ugly to the extreme.
ah well ... you can always take heart in the fact that you have raised a shooter to carry on the family passion.
he'll probably lose interest in this rifle when he spends 8 hours reloading for 15 minutes of shooting.
No, I was just screwing up is all!
Thst thing is an abomination of a rifle , a sad state of affairs and UGLY!!
BUT, I will concede, if he wants to buy it he can.
he'll have to keep in in a different house though!
cat
Old 03-17-2008, 02:49 PM

If he has the money, let him buy it. My son bought himself a Camaro while in High School. Worst car he could have ever purchased. Couldn't get out of the school parking lot without a push when it was icy LOL.

No gophers or any varmints around the Fort? well no matter, no cans will be safe.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
If he has the money, let him buy it. My son bought himself a Camaro while in High School. Worst car he could have ever purchased. Couldn't get out of the school parking lot without a push when it was icy LOL.

No gophers or any varmints around the Fort? well no matter, no cans will be safe.
No gophers, but there is the odd woodchuck! Imagine that!
Don't know where they came from.
The kid is still apprenticing, and has some better stuff to spend money on, like tools.
he's got a great job at the moment, but is still in the co-op program, so will be placed witha different outfit next year and may not be making the same coin.
Toime to save is now.
besides, he can kill cans and clang silhouettes with any number of high end
family heirlooms - ebven if they do for the most paet only hold one at a time!
Cat
Old 03-17-2008, 05:04 PM

Nothin like ripping 20 rounds in seconds.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:23 AM

about that ugly single shot ruger you posted a picture of ...

i have a nice marlin 2000 22lr target rifle that has a synthetic stock and is BLUE!

don't you think it would make a nice companion piece for the tupperware-two-two-three??

i am sure we could come to terms for that ugly ruger.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
about that ugly single shot ruger you posted a picture of ...

i have a nice marlin 2000 22lr target rifle that has a synthetic stock and is BLUE!

don't you think it would make a nice companion piece for the tupperware-two-two-three??

i am sure we could come to terms for that ugly ruger.
I'd jump at that, but unfortunetly I traded it awhile back for a POS O/U with two sets of barrels and a set of 28 tubes.
Cat
Old 03-18-2008, 09:28 AM

cat ...
why do i get the idea there may "possibly" be some sarcasm involved in your response??
Old 03-18-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
cat ...
why do i get the idea there may "possibly" be some sarcasm involved in your response??
Could it be the big azzed smilely, maybe??!!
Cat