Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-15-2008, 08:55 AM

Default Stevens 200

I am asking this for a buddy of mine. He wants to get into shooting Coyotes and Gophers with a centerfire and asked me about this rifle. He doesn't want to spend a pile of money and would rather put a decent scope on "an aggressively priced rifle". (not too hard to tell he is in the financing biz with that statement is it) It is offered in .223 and .22-250 that I know of.
Anyway are these a good buy or are they priced "aggressively" for a reason? Is the trigger decent? Do they feed well? I have never had any experience with them so I told him I would ask here.

Any help would be great.
Thanks
Old 03-15-2008, 09:02 AM

For the Steven's 200:
Triggers are somewhat adjustable, and highly tuneable, aftermarket replacement triggers are available.
Cartridge feeding is about average.
Accuaracy is typically above average to outstanding.

They are functionally accurate rifles with less than desireable esthetics, for a very desireable price.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-15-2008, 09:08 AM

For the $369 you'll put into it, it is well worth it. A good freind of mine who had both the Savage and Remington warrenty depot told me that the new Remingtons while looking better than a Stevens were in fact the lesser firearm.

I've got a M200 .223, five shots with 55gr V-Max will fit inside a dime, the trigger is adjustable to a degree, $75 for a trigger job, scope etc and you're off to the races. You can spend a lot more and still not get that much better of a rifle. Highly recommended.
go home from us in peace.
We ask not your counsels or your arms.
Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
May your chains set lightly upon you,
and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Samuel Adams 1775
Old 03-15-2008, 07:26 PM

Savages have always been utilitarian to the MAX.Never heard of a inaccurate one yet.Harold * they were $300 at Russel's
Old 03-15-2008, 09:59 PM
willy11

I had one and qucikly sold it. Feed problems galore with mine.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:07 PM

had one in 308 it was a good shooter and handled well
Old 03-15-2008, 10:09 PM
jrs

I've bought two and swear by them. The 270 has been used on numerous deer (at least 6) and my 223 has only seen range time but has produced the tightest groups I've ever shot (one group was under 1'' at 200 yards). They both shoot better than i can. I would buy another with no hesitation, likely in 25-06. A friend of mine has one in 223 as well, shoots just as good as mine do. I paid $319 new about 2 years ago now. Kind of ugly but i like the feel and the performance.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:23 PM

THere was a thread on CGN about the stevens 200. Alot of people are seeing really good results out of this gun. The major complaint was of the tupperware stock but a couple guys did a paintjob and they turned out really good.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:23 PM

Default Thanks

Hey guys thanks for the tips. I relayed the info on to my buddy and he says thanks as well. After seeing the responses I think I might just get one as well. Almost a steal at 300 bucks. I think for me the .223 is the way to go. Buddy thinks the .22-250 is the ticket. Sounds like a competition may be in order with him.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:56 PM

I just bought one in Jan(SIR 299.99) Iin 243 cal...they had no sm cals left..I bought 6 types of factory ammo to try....I filled my stock, and camo'd the outside....looks greatThis peticular rifle LOVES the Win/SupX/100 gr.........3 and 4 shot groups of 1/2 " @ 100 yds, that's Incredible for a Cheapy!!!.......Last week my dies arrived, and now I'm chompin at the bit to try my handloaded 55 gr bal/tips, and my 95 gr SST's..........Come on weather!!!!!!!