Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-14-2008, 11:02 AM

Default 270 bullets

I have never had any experience with 270 bullets, only 7mm and larger.. Just picked up a 270 wsm ruger for my son. I am presently loading 150 hornady sp with 57.5 grains or IMR4350. It shoots this load extremely well, ( .514 at 100 yards ) but I am concerned this will not be enough bullet for moose. I have thought about trying the swift A frame, or the 150 grand slam? Anyone had any experience with these or others that might work on these larger creatures, thanks for your help.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:16 AM

I'm also shooting a 270 WSM and my hunting partner a 270 Win. For both of our rifles I have been loading the Barnes 130 TSX. I'm really impressed with this bullet and I've seen game shot with it from the size of pronghorns to a bull elk. They seem to work as advertised.

In reality though, the 150 Hornady will certainly work on a moose if it's put in the vitals. It sounds like it's a shooter for you, so I'm not sure if a change is necessary.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:23 AM

I am personally not a fan of hornady's but know lots of people who love to shoot them I have some 165 and 180 if you intrested in 30 cal.

For a bullet I like the accubond bullet I have had great success whi them this last year both performance and accuracy wise.

I jave heard great things about the barnes bullets and was really supprised on how high there ballistic coefficient is.

If you are shooting a lighter gun I would recomend a high quality bullet like the Accubond or barnes.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 03-14-2008, 11:31 AM

I don't reload for my 270 win.but I use Federal HE 140gr Trophey Bonded Bear Claws.All the moose I've shot have been 1 shot kills except one,but that was the shooters fault(mine).All bullets recovered,with near perfect mushrooms,and just by looking at them near full weight retention(no noticable fragmentation).Grandslams work well too,although my exp. on these are limited to deer.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:44 AM

Default 150 gr

Is plenty for a moose. I used my plain old 270 in the Yukon when I lived there and the three moose I got were all a lot bigger than I get here and the farthest one ever went was 20 yards. Unfortunatly that 20 yds took him into the Yukon river and the chase was on. He washed up on a gravel bank about 500 yds down stream. Don't worry for a minute that that bullet will let you dowwn. 130 is perfect on deer.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:41 PM

Default thanks

I considered barnes, they certainly will be flatter than 150's. I tried a 160 accubond in my STW. Shot a mule deer in B.C. a quartering shot and the bullet fragmented so badly we found only tiny bits of it against the off shoulder. Same result on a white tailed buck in Sask but with even less penetration, looks like it's OK for deer but I'd be hesitant to use it on moose, at least in my STW. I have heard great things from others however, but they were shooting 3006/ 7mm rem mag class rifles.

I believe I may load up some 130 barnes and see how they group. I've never used barnes, are the copper deposits in the barrel a problem?

thanks for the help.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Banned

I use the 150 Grand Slams on moose and have had good results with them.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:50 PM

Talk with Rugersingle, he's killed moose, elk, bear,caribou, deer, and antelope, all with 130gr. Nosler Partitioins out of his 270 Win.
Knowing how to shoot and finding a loading that shoots well in the rifle is the key. What weight and what design should be considered long after the first two steps are accomplished.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-14-2008, 05:38 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
I've never used barnes, are the copper deposits in the barrel a problem?
Copper fouling was a problem with the original barnes x,however with the tsx and mrx,copper fouling is virtually non existent in my rifles.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:30 PM

Default 270 bullets

The hornady bullet you are shooting, should do for any animal that you are gmmoing to shoot in the heart lung area,where you dont need a shoot through. If you want extreme penetration, then think premium bullets like A-frame Barnes triple shocks, or any of the bonded bullets like honady nosleror swift. Good luck, and good shootin.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:46 PM

As noted by dick I use a 130 NP @ 3150 out of a 26"bbl, reg 270. Same gun, same load for over 20yrs now. Never had a bullet failure, never lost a critter, when I do my part. I like the traj on the 130's vs the 150's. Plus 20 grns less when calculating recoil. I settled on the NP because sometimes I have tags for multiple animals and didnt want to juggle bullets trying to find the "right one". Specially if the one in front of me has claws and pointy teeth....
Accuracy is good but generally switching to a Sierra or Hornady gets smaller groups faster in the process. I see advantages to a 140 but my gun doesnt like em...
Old 03-15-2008, 09:19 AM

For years I used the Win. Power Point on moose. I just made sure that I had good shot into the lungs. They worked well. The last few years I have switched to bonded bullets and find that they are all I need. A moose is not hard to take down with what is classed as a deer bullet as long as you are willing to pass on some shots. Put a clear shot into the boiler room and you have got him. The bonded bullets give you a little bit more assurance over the soft points.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:01 AM

The first gun I ever used for hunting was a rem. 700 classic 270 win. All that has ever been fed to it is hornady 140 gr BTSP's. My first elk was downed with this as well as scores of deer. My Dad had taken a moose with it. It IMHO, is a perfect marriage for this caliber. It is very accurate and even though I carry the so called cannons now for my elk and moose hunting that gun and bullet combo never failed me on anything I pointed it at.

Tally for the 270 win and 140 gr BTSP"s in my family is 3 elk (2bulls,1 cow), 1moose and I don't know how many deer.

I know you will here the super premium chant and I admit that I have been a part of the craze however as I reflect on the animals taken with this caliber I don't remember anything that required more than one shot.

Pitty I don't carry it anymore. Maybe thats something I should remedy.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:24 AM

Dropped lots of moose bear and deer with 130gr Hornady no problem from a .270 Win FWT....................Harold
Old 03-18-2008, 09:00 PM

Hey there Rugersingle....that fav load of yours for the 270 almost mirrors mine....I bought a Browning St/Stalker/A-Bolt/270, back in 1987. after lots of testing, My guns favorite lunch is...54.2 gr of IMR 4350/Fed 215/Nosler/130 gr/Bal/Tip......I can consistantly{lets say the GUN CAN} put 5 shots into a dime sized hole @100 yds....It's been over 20 yrs and that is STILL the load I use all the time.