Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-14-2008, 07:47 AM

Question Sell or keep my AR?

Going through the gun safe yesterday and pulled out a couple of rifles I just never shoot. My Armalite AR15A2 was purchased in 2002, I still have the 500 rds I bought then as well as all the mil-spec ammo I've collected in the past couple of years. The bloody thing has less than 500 rds through it. Only being able to shoot it at the range and all the transport BS usually means its left home. I could sell this and get a couple of really nice hunting rifles with what the gun and mags would fetch. Help me decide to keep it or sell it guys.
go home from us in peace.
We ask not your counsels or your arms.
Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
May your chains set lightly upon you,
and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Samuel Adams 1775
Old 03-14-2008, 09:02 AM

I guess it's a tough decision to make. It sounds like you would possibly get a lot more use out of another hunting rifle or two. One thing to think about is all this talk from certain political parties about banning semi-autos. I wish I had purchased a handgun a long time ago so I could have qualified to be grandfathered for a 12(6) permit. Who knows... the same thing might happen with semi-autos? If you get rid of it you may never be able to get another one if some of the firearms laws change again.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:07 AM

one more way to take protection out of the hands of law abiding gun owners and put the advantage into the hands of criminals and thugs.

sorry for the venting......i would keep the ar15.....but that is just me. i like them and love to shoot them. hoping one day by some miracle they get okayed as a coyote gun.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:44 AM

I just put my AR and 2 pistols on consignment at The Shooting Edge a bit over a week ago for similar reasons. They're simply less useful in practical ways. The thing is, I never even shot my AR at all. I bought it, and it's been a safe queen the whole of this last busy year. I thought the cash from it could be better used for our house reno and gifts for my wife and newborn son, so they've gone to good use. I've kept 2 pistols, but that was my only restricted long-arm. I would like maybe another 'black rifle' thats not restricted when finances allow again, but it's not high on the priority list at the moment. Robinson's XCR or something similar would fit the bill well. It'd be comforting to have one before they possibly get legislated out by some bureaucratic twit.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:14 AM

i am in the same boat as you glock, but i think it is best to keep em, if the liberals get in again they will surely be prohib, along with handguns. if nothing else keep the lower and sell all the rest. that way as far as the gov is concerned you stil have an ar. they want everyone to sell their guns, that way there is less resistance when they move every step closer to outlawing them.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:44 PM

Keep it. And buy another 500 rounds for it. The gov'ts that want to take it away from you are not mislead, they are not misguided. They know EXACTLY what they are doing.

For that reason I do not trust them. I am keeping mine and those bechitted liberals can go pound sand.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:54 PM

That's a tough one. Cool gun, but I could see how only being able to use it at a range and all the restrictions entailed would be a drag. So stupid really that you have to choose. No more lethal than a 100 other unrestricted semi's you could own and use anywhere. AHHHHHH THERE'S the rightous indignation I've been missing.... Thanks.

Keep it on principle!
Old 03-14-2008, 01:33 PM

I am thinking of getting one... then when they get prohibited they will have to give me a prohibited class PAl and then i can buy other prohibitd stuf!....
Old 03-14-2008, 03:50 PM

Stupid thing is I went through this in the late '80's with my AK's and guess who's P.O.'ed that he didn't keep them. You're all right about the political considerations, thats what prompted me to buy it in the first place. Trouble is I can't help look at something like a nice Sako and think I could almost buiy one with a Ziess Conquest for what the AR with the mags and ammo would bring..... . Ah well still more time to ponder.

Samuel Adams 1775
Old 03-14-2008, 06:49 PM

I would definately hang onto it. But if you do deciede to sell it, shoot me a pm, I want to pick one up.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:57 PM

Default AR

I had a colt AR I picked up many yrs ago, got to the point we didn't shoot it anymore simply because we live in a small town with no "legal" gun range, and the mountie rotation seems to be less than a month with members many yrs from needing to shave. (are all new mounties from toronto?)
Traded it straight across for an iron sights '06 blr And a 300winmag.
In our situation it just wasn't practical, and I don't regret the trade.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:41 PM

Sold the last of my 12.5 rifles a few months back. So I lost my status too. Somedays regret it and some not. Maybe I should of kept one L1A1?
Old 03-15-2008, 03:13 AM

Keep it. I thought about selling mine also but talked my self out of it just in case they become a prohib. It is alot of money just sitting there but when I do shoot it it is a blast.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:04 PM

Default buy!!

Keep it and buy 2 more! You're falling right into the gun grabbers hands...
Old 03-16-2008, 12:10 AM

Keep it keep it keep it !!!!!
Then buy a Mini 14 and go blast those Coyotes !!!
Uhmmmm. and you said there were " a couple of rifles......" What was the other one ???

Last edited by LuckySeven; 03-16-2008 at 12:12 AM. Reason: addded
Old 03-16-2008, 09:09 AM

Well the other two are: Mauser '96 with German markings 1900, 6.5x55 M38 Carbine, sporterized. Ram Line stock, fully bedded, reblued etc. Haven't shot it in 5 years. And a custom Ruger M77 with a Sako TRG Hunter barrel in 7mm Rem Mag. About 20 rds through it building loads. Never been hunting. It turned out very nice but the 7mag just dosn't do anything for me.

Samuel Adams 1775
Old 03-16-2008, 09:19 AM

You could make a cool lamp outta that AR!
Cat
Old 03-17-2008, 11:36 PM

I am also in the game for an AR15.
My old man has one and damn does it scare
the gophers!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-18-2008, 12:43 AM

You wouldn't be saying that you shoot it places other than a gun range would you
Old 03-18-2008, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trda View Post
You wouldn't be saying that you shoot it places other than a gun range would you
Noooooo he means the gophers at the legally recognized gun range
Old 03-18-2008, 03:53 AM
Nationwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockster View Post
I could sell this and get a couple of really nice hunting rifles with what the gun and mags would fetch. Help me decide to keep it or sell it guys.
With this said i think you should sell and be happy with a hunting gun you can "USE".
Old 03-18-2008, 06:49 AM

The problem with selling such guns is that you are basically handing the antigun liberals a victory on a plate. You are basically letting them harass and legislate you into owning only the guns that they find acceptable. And that list of 'nice liberal guns' is shrinking all the time.

Somebody around here advocates using your tax refunds to buy guns and ammo and I think that should be turned into a very public national movement - one that could be used to tell the liberals where to go and how to get there.

I now own several 'nasty' guns because of the liberals, guns that I might otherwise not have bought. It is time to tell those morons that enough is enough.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty P. Bucket View Post
The problem with selling such guns is that you are basically handing the antigun liberals a victory on a plate. You are basically letting them harass and legislate you into owning only the guns that they find acceptable. And that list of 'nice liberal guns' is shrinking all the time.

Somebody around here advocates using your tax refunds to buy guns and ammo and I think that should be turned into a very public national movement - one that could be used to tell the liberals where to go and how to get there.

I now own several 'nasty' guns because of the liberals, guns that I might otherwise not have bought. It is time to tell those morons that enough is enough.
if it is sold, it means someone is buying it.
I'm not sure how that is playing into the anti gunner's hands.
I can't abide than danged things myself, but I would never advocate banning them.....
Cat
Old 03-18-2008, 11:32 AM

Good point, I suppose, Cat.

I suppose the principle of the thing sticks in my craw. I am not a big fan of the gun registry or the idiots responsible for it.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty P. Bucket View Post
Oh god no.... all that would do is have them advance gun control by raising taxes and insuring we get no refunds!
Old 03-18-2008, 12:09 PM

I just sold my AR and a Walther pistol. I'm less comfortable having people over to look at tactical-style restricteds than for hunting firearms, so I consigned them at The Shooting Edge to save me the hassle. I'm far too busy for tire kickers dropping in. I dropped off 3 items less than 2 weeks ago, and just have one left there now. Got my cheque yesterday. I do plan to get another AR, and perhaps something similar in a non-restricted 'black rifle', such as a Robinson XCR, but thats when finances dictate. For the moment, I'd rather have my renovations done and family provided for than make my political statement to the anti's by owning one. While that is a priority, its just not the top of the lot.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:31 PM

This is the sadest thread I have ever read on this forum...

Its just amazing to see the contrast between our gun laws here, and when I open the pages of Varmint Xtreme Magazine from the US. Here, we can't even take a black rifle just to the gun range for target practice without massive amount of red-tape and paper work, yet the Americans can drive around with them in their vehicles and shoot varmints with them all day long. The American right to own firearms, as a law-biding citizen, makes me seethe with jealously...

Glockster,
As much as I would like to hear that you kept your rifle, I agree with you that its more hassle than its worth. Too bad though.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis_rak View Post
This is the sadest thread I have ever read on this forum...

Its just amazing to see the contrast between our gun laws here, and when I open the pages of Varmint Xtreme Magazine from the US. Here, we can't even take a black rifle just to the gun range for target practice without massive amount of red-tape and paper work, yet the Americans can drive around with them in their vehicles and shoot varmints with them all day long. The American right to own firearms, as a law-biding citizen, makes me seethe with jealously...

Glockster,
As much as I would like to hear that you kept your rifle, I agree with you that its more hassle than its worth. Too bad though.
Not ALL the Staes allow for that kind of riflery.
There are some that are downright anal about firearms.
I really like new Hampshere though, IIRC their license plate read
"Live free or die" !!
Cat