Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-11-2008, 09:26 PM

Default Berger Bullets

Anybody using the Berger 168 VLDs in 7mm RUM ???
Moly Coated 168VLDs + 90gr of Retumbo = (3086fps) and 3 shot groups just over 1/4" at 200yds !!!! Maybe I'll have to use this for P Dogs instead of the .22-250 !!!
Old 03-12-2008, 12:03 AM

Default Also

I have steel silhouttes all the way out to 500yds, just put a 1/2" thick S/S plate at the 500yd mark and these Bergers are going right through it !!!
Very good for the wind drift as well....shooting last Sunday in 10-13mph cross wind, and using the Boone & Crockett reticle 9 shots into about 5" cluster in midlle of the plate !!!
Old 03-12-2008, 10:45 PM

Default wow

Sounds accurate! So do they come coated? Did the moly coated make a noticable gain?
I'm getting 160 NAB's out @ 3265fps on 94.5 gr. retumbo. have'nt settled on a load yet thou. Bought some coated 140's might play a bit more
...chain
Old 03-13-2008, 01:32 AM

I believe Berger is no longer coating their bullets...but I moly everything I shoot. I was hoping for more velocity ...but don't want to trade off the accuracy. I'm going to do a bit of ladder testing this weekend and see what happens. How many loads are you getting out of your cases with that load chain2 ??
Once I finalize my load development I'll be setting up my sighting board at 1000 yds to do my drop tables...... ballistic charts are OK, but the holes don't lie !!!
Old 03-13-2008, 08:41 PM

Default >

I've only had one case shoulder crack. but I get 4-6 reloads per case.
I could still get more but I decided to get another 50 hulls. I'm back to.5 over max load and haven't had no bad signs pretty good case life and minimal trim. My groups are'nt what your getting but It's more about my part than the rifles. More Practice!
I wanted a 7stw when I was looking and could'nt find a new one so I got the 7rum... I like it so far...chain
Old 03-13-2008, 09:29 PM

Default New Guns.........

First thing i did when I took home the new Sendero was to strip the action and steel bed it from tang to recoil lug. Even with the full length bedding block they still leave a lot to be desired....shame actually when you spend that kinda money on a new gun. The new X-Mark Pro triggers are pretty good though...set mine at 2-1/2lbs, very consistent and crisp. Optics....went with the Leupold VX-L 4.5-14 X 56 and the B&C reticle ( Love this scope ) sending it out in a week or so for a set of M1 turrets after I get all my drop testing done.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:40 AM

Default That sounds like a sweet set up!

So are you using the hash marks now on your scope? I use mil-dot but only the first mil for hold over at 500.
Do you pack this rifle? How heavy is it? ...thanx chain
Old 03-15-2008, 05:19 PM

Chain2.....Yes, Zeroed at 300yds and the marks are dead on out to 500yds...even the windage holds work out quite well !!!
Was out last Sunday...wind pushing 10-13mph on the Kestrel and 9 out of nine went into 5" on the 500yd gong !!! Mmmmmmm....as for packing it though, hmmmm......I'm thinking this is going to be more of a set up gun for some long range stuff....making my back sore just thinking bout packing that one up some of the hills down South !!

Last edited by LuckySeven; 03-15-2008 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Added