Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-10-2011, 09:29 AM

Default summer projects?

did any of you trappers do any summertime projects on your lines?

cleared alot of new trail,repaired and built some bridges, milled some lumber for marten boxes.

hope this pic shows up!

would love to see some other trappers pic.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:38 AM

Was out last weekend clearing trail, made it about 20 km's, had to build a bridge. Lots of work this trapping stuff but i'm loving every minute of it. Wish i could make a living doing it. I am using wire mesh for marten boxes so i have some cutting to do still. I also started to put out some steel for beavers, i caught a nice one yesterday/ I will start another thread and post some pics later.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:52 PM

right on! hard work on the trapline feels good doesn't it! good luck with the beavers, i'm currently at home trying to round up bait aswell. i would love to use beaver but i've got to heli into my line and beavers are just to heavy. bird carcasses, with eatable meat removed is what i use, much lighter. all my dry goods and fuel is already out there so i fly in with fresh meat and bait, mostly bait. a jet ranger, stripped down(no back seats) and low on fuel can lift 900lbs and i max that out pretty quick. it is legal to use a heli/airplane to get out to a line but not for hunting and i have to as i have no road accsess i've used an A-starB2(pic below) which can lift every thing you can put in it,and more but it's alot more money. 1600 one way for the Astar verus 750 for the jetranger.
going to be heading out around nov 11 and staying until around christmas/early jan. be out before cutoff for the feb auction. good luck with your season. take some pics.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-26-2011, 08:32 PM

Sweet way of life, it reminds me of the guys up north in remote areas doing the heli trapping, i dont know the rules on it but i know you can scout from it to get to know the line for sure. I am kinda limited because there is no vehicle access allowed on the line im on and also i believe there is a ceiling limit for planes anf choppers. Likes cool though i like the thought of being dropped off and just trapping for months.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:35 AM

You gonna keep us updated on your trapline?
Kinda like a trapline journal..
Love to see other guys pics
Old 10-27-2011, 12:12 PM

it's a one trip in, one trip out for me. xplornet is almost affordable, but its got to drop some more before i'll have internet in the cabin. some day!