Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-14-2017, 03:53 PM
Banned

Default Spoon fed walleye

In the last couple yrs I have been leaning away from the traditional jig ,I have lost a few trophy walleye because of the jig bending or just unhooking.I have about 4 spoons that really work good for me and have landed a lot more big walleye.I have even learned how to present the spoon to finicky fish with great success.My favorite big fish is a tear dropped,hammer finished spoon in gold.The ever popular Slender spoon slightly tweaked to flutter better and an online LED spoon I bought yrs ago.The PK peanut shaped spoons work good when they are wanting a fast fall and a flutter.I have several others too but these are my top 4.On big fish lakes I use giant spoons.

What's your go to spoon?
Old 06-14-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHBATTEREDBEER View Post
What's your go to spoon?
Five of Diamonds!

Old 06-14-2017, 04:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Five of Diamonds!

also one of my top 10 hooks
Old 06-14-2017, 04:44 PM

Fished Dore Lake in Sask last June. We were in the far north end at T Bay, and in the channel going into T Bay, started catching walleye to 6 pds on a yellow five of diamonds. Secret was a dead slow retrieve to keep the spoon just above the weeds.

You could actually see the walleye appear from nowhere, then inhale the spoon. I did this repeatedly, and sometimes it was a walleye, and sometimes it was a very good pike, but it consistently worked.

I also saw the strangest thing at Calling last year where one of the neighbours was putting a jig body on a spoon treble hook, and slowly working it off the bottom, and catching nice walleye that way. The spoon would sit on the bottom like a jig, then they would lift and twitch and let it drop. Hard to say if it was a hit on a jig or a hit on a spoon, but they did catch fish.

Drewski
Old 06-14-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHBATTEREDBEER View Post
also one of my top 10 hooks
I catch about as many walleye on casting spoons as I do jigs (though not so many as I do on bottom bouncers) and the 1/2 oz 5oD is my top producer. I enjoy using casting spoons for walleye, they will catch walleye as well as anything else but you really have to fish them, not like a bottom bouncer which is pretty much idiot proof.

I've got a bunch of different ways I fish spoons, but one of the most effective ways when I'm after walleyes is as follows...
Run the boat way slower than is required to get the spoon to work, I want the boat going slow enough that when I slowly sweep my rod forwards the spoon is moving at the proper speed. Then I drop the spoon to the bottom and sweep my rod forward with the bail open to let out more line, that way I can establish how much line I need out (ie, drop the spoon and sweep the rod 2x). Then I proceed sort of rip jig the spoon as I slow troll, except that the "rip" is a slow sweep and the spoon flutters down much slower than a jigging lure. I want enough line out that when the line goes tight again after the sweep the spoon is just off the bottom. Not too many days this wont catch walleye.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:05 PM

Biggest Len Thomson spoon in 5 of diamond (red not black diamonds). Big fish lakes. If walleye are feeding you will still catch even 2 lbers.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Fished Dore Lake in Sask last June. We were in the far north end at T Bay, and in the channel going into T Bay, started catching walleye to 6 pds on a yellow five of diamonds. Secret was a dead slow retrieve to keep the spoon just above the weeds.

You could actually see the walleye appear from nowhere, then inhale the spoon. I did this repeatedly, and sometimes it was a walleye, and sometimes it was a very good pike, but it consistently worked.

I also saw the strangest thing at Calling last year where one of the neighbours was putting a jig body on a spoon treble hook, and slowly working it off the bottom, and catching nice walleye that way. The spoon would sit on the bottom like a jig, then they would lift and twitch and let it drop. Hard to say if it was a hit on a jig or a hit on a spoon, but they did catch fish.

Drewski

A 6" rubber worm on a treble on a spoon helps it flutter slower to the bottom.It also ads another added movement to your rig.The slender spoon can be altered in a similar way and is deadly.I start off with fast falling/fluttering spoons and slow down until I find out what they want.This can change during the day several times,find a pattern and fish it until they stop biting.sometimes I rip the hook very aggressively and I find this works for bigger fish when there are many bites.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:19 PM

Interesting. I've only ever caught walleye on spoons in current, but I suspect I wasn't running them deep enough in lakes. Something to try this year.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:07 AM

I have caught walleye on jigs, light and heavy spoons, downrigging, virtually all of the Rapala fish-like baits, in-line and safety pin spinners, and even one on a bass buzz bait. Presentation is part of the story, but much of it is crossover to other species like pike, perch, and bass. The only time I restrict myself to jigs is fishing rocky rivers where you need to get down right in the rocks and break-offs are frequent.

To the comment of jig bodies on spoons, both Rapala & Krokodile made spoons that took jig bodies in the 80s, but it required removing the treble to mount the body.

On the comment about bent or broken jig hooks, this is exactly what led me to casting my own jigs. I used only hardened Eagle Claw hooks and never had a problem. I. did that for about a decade, sold my gear, and I am still working off of old, unsold inventory!

Vic
Old 06-15-2017, 06:31 AM

I have had walleye bite them too but mostly while fishing for pike - my go to in absolute desperate situations that will almost always put fish out is a williams wobbler 50-80 in silver either the realy bumpy one or the smoother hammered fisnish that is a little bit newer. Theyre such light hooks that you can let them sink and reel very slow at the depth you want. Its a killer.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwhere View Post
I have had walleye bite them too but mostly while fishing for pike - my go to in absolute desperate situations that will almost always put fish out is a williams wobbler 50-80 in silver either the realy bumpy one or the smoother hammered fisnish that is a little bit newer. Theyre such light hooks that you can let them sink and reel very slow at the depth you want. Its a killer.
I fish Wablers quite a bit too, as well as the Trophy spoons. With their wide, erratic wobble, slow retrieve, and superior flash they can sometimes work very well on trout and pike when nothing else is getting a bite. That said, while I've coaxed walleye to bite them they don't work anywhere as well as a lot of other spoons. IMO walleye generally like a tighter wobble on most days, and a spoon you can count down to greater depths more quickly is easyer to put in front of them. Len Thompsons sink fairly quickly with a moderate flutter, and in the smaller sizes have a pretty tight wobble, they are pretty much an ideal spoon for walleye.

One spoon that fits my Walleye recipe like a glove is the Kastmaster, however for some reason my results with this spoon have always been disappointing. I guess some things just cant be summed up with a couple tidy rules of thumb.

Last edited by Bushleague; 06-15-2017 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:45 AM

caught my biggest walleye 9lbs on a blue and silver Williams wobbler
Old 06-15-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avidhuntr View Post
caught my biggest walleye 9lbs on a blue and silver Williams wobbler
Congrats! Not saying it won't happen, I've caught some nice walleye on Williams spoons as well. But I usually fish for walleye 2-4x a week, and I fish spoons at least some of the time almost every time I go fishing... day in and day out I do better with the spoons I described.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:23 PM

How about not abandoning the jig, but adding a treble stinger to avoid the jig hook bending or not hooking up?

I have found that the walleye also don't take the jig down as far allowing for better C&R with the stinger.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iYearn View Post
How about not abandoning the jig, but adding a treble stinger to avoid the jig hook bending or not hooking up?

I have found that the walleye also don't take the jig down as far allowing for better C&R with the stinger.
What do you attach the treble stinger to avoid bending jig hook? Jig eyelet?
Old 06-15-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Joint structure jig: http://www.cabelas.ca/product/96778/...ndom-selection
Old 06-15-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
That's what I do.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
That's what I do.
Flourocarbon?
Old 06-15-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vook View Post
Thx Vook.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Yes...and we use titanium leader material:

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/25183/...t-2-kinky-wire.

We use this in the spring when fly fishing for pike in the shallows.

Tough to tie

But a perfection knot does the trick with some practice.