Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-06-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5x47 lapua View Post
unfortunately sunday is canceled which is the palma distances of 700 to 900m due to predicted weather.
Ironically one of the biggest differences between competition shooters and operational snipers right there.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:26 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Ironically one of the biggest differences between competition shooters and operational snipers right there.
Yup a lot more involved than just taking the shot!

Can't cancel due to weather, bathroom breaks, hungry, tired, sick, miserable, got a date, need my mommies home cooking, miss my girlfriend...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-07-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Yup a lot more involved than just taking the shot!

Can't cancel due to weather, bathroom breaks, hungry, tired, sick, miserable, got a date, need my mommies home cooking, miss my girlfriend...
Yup. then again operational snipers get that thing called a paychech to lay out in the rain,lay in their own feces,go days without sleep; ya know. all those glamorous things that closet mercenaries dont get. I have several good friends who are ex snipers and not one of them enjoy laying in the rain shooting any more than us.
Fclass was made by a man named George Farquarson(ex military) along with Paul Reibin(ex military).George,s favourite saying about the rain subject was "even a dog knows better than lay in the rain".
This match was cancelled because it is a small and means nothing in the big scheme of things.If it was the western canadians or the nationals or the upcoming worlds it isnt cancelled for bad weather because it is still a spinoff of military competitions.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Yup. then again operational snipers get that thing called a paychech to lay out in the rain,lay in their own feces,go days without sleep; ya know. all those glamorous things that closet mercenaries dont get. I have several good friends who are ex snipers and not one of them enjoy laying in the rain shooting any more than us.
Fclass was made by a man named George Farquarson(ex military) along with Paul Reibin(ex military).George,s favourite saying about the rain subject was "even a dog knows better than lay in the rain".
This match was cancelled because it is a small and means nothing in the big scheme of things.If it was the western canadians or the nationals or the upcoming worlds it isnt cancelled for bad weather because it is still a spinoff of military competitions.
The only time I was involved in a national match that was cancelled was 1970 ( jeepers maybe It was '68?)at the the smallbore Nats in Manitoba when the targets were getting blown off the frames from the wind and rain!
Even then the match just delayed, not canceled......
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 05-07-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:41 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Paycheck?
Misery luv's company.
Builds character, then when you're out you can listen to the civies complain about thier Tim hortans coffee being too hot

Cat, you would lay in the mud all day to get the shot at a thousand yard gong then go back and drink your cold coffee...legend has it...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-09-2017, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post

Cat, you would lay in the mud all day to get the shot at a thousand yard gong then go back and drink your cold coffee...legend has it...
Well, to be truthful I don't wait all day for the "perfect shot" - and I don't mind cold coffee!
Cat
Old 05-09-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
Hey Cat, do most former military guys gravitate to Fclass shooting or PRS style shooting?

It would seem to me that PRS would be more like what they do at work.

Another question for those of you in LAW enforcement. What type of ammo do the RCMP sharpshooters use? DO the city of Calgary and Edmonton SWAT teams use something similar to each other or the RCMP?
The rcmp guys used to send a pile of gold medal match down range at Rocky.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 05-09-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmcleod82 View Post
The rcmp guys used to send a pile of gold medal match down range at Rocky.
LEO at SPFGA send a lot of Gold Medal Match downrange also.