Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-09-2017, 08:13 AM

Smile Finding the fallen T.V.

Did anyone else see and can you explain what I saw last night? The producers had made a "gong" of WW1 armour plate that was used to build British tanks. Ball ammunition from a German rifle was fired at the gong from 25 yds. and it behaved like you'd expect. Spalled paint and small fragments off the back but no penetration of the bullet.

Here is the question, apparently there were rumours in the German army that "if the bullet was reversed in the case it would when fired penetrate the tank's armour. Well they tried it and although the bullet itself did not go through the plate it left a very nice clean hole in the plate.

I would be very happy to hear the expert's explanation of what happened when the reversed bullet contacted the gong. THX
Old 05-09-2017, 01:19 PM
Gone Hunting

I am not expert but I think that explanation of this is in Meplat theory.

Spitzer bullet with flat base would shade energy different way depending if it was nose or base contacting metal plate first.

Dangerous game bullets have often flat meplat for deeper penetration and this shape creates widest temporary and permanent wound channel.

I'm not certain what you call ball bullets that thay were using. With ball= round bullet there is no difference in meplat.
With spitzer flat base there is.
Since bullets with wider or broader meplats tend to carry more weight up front than bullets with smaller meplats, they tend to be more terminally stable and, as a consequence, produce deeper and straighter penetration channels.

Go to

http://www.gsgroup.co.za/08articles.html

PP presentation on the bottom of this page explains Meplat, how it works in flesh.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY