Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-19-2014, 08:03 PM

Default Oldman info

Has anyone been out on the Oldman between 22 and the reservoir? I've never been on that section but since it is open I thought I might head down there and check it out. On Google earth it looks like there are some pretty good whitewater sections and major shelf lines that might be a problem in a kayak. I also found a couple of grazing leases but there is no contact numbers or apparent road access. How accessible is the Provincial Recreation land at the mouth? Any heads up on water conditions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tim
Old 09-02-2014, 12:34 PM

Default HWY 22 Oldman down

Bump this. I was also looking at any info on this section as well. I was just thinking of parking at the hwy22 bridge and walking down as far as I could go. I guess another option is taking the back township roads that I thought I saw on google maps and try to cross the river before the reservoir.

Help anyone?
Old 09-02-2014, 09:44 PM

Used to fish the area extensively. To access the river below the old steel bridge down stream from highway 22 you have to talk to the ranchers. To go from the old steel bridge to the dam is a long way. I have canoed most of it. No problem other than shallow water at this time of the year. You will be walking through a lot of shallow areas or bumping a lot of bottom. Check your distance as you should know how many klicks you can do in a certain # of hours. We did most of our trips at the end of July to the middle of August. River was a foot higher than the first of September. Personally I wouldn't do it this time of year. Water is to low.
Bjay
Old 09-08-2014, 04:00 PM

There is good walk and wade access from the Waldron Buck for Wildlife site. Take the Waldron Flats road, just north and east of the 22 bridge, for about 1 km and turn south at the gravel pit. Lots of pools and shelf structures. I fished it in late August and had a pretty good day - 2 bulls on streamers and 5 cutties on stimmies.

Tim
Old 09-12-2014, 11:15 PM

Made this episode in that area couple years back ... Enjoy!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hem3...bwdnLg&index=8
Old 03-12-2015, 01:58 PM

Default Winter Access - Below Dam

I'm new to the forum, I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for stretches below the damn, more specifically below the reserve. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Old 03-12-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyguy View Post
I'm new to the forum, I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for stretches below the damn, more specifically below the reserve. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Yeah, go for a drive and take a few casts. There are fish in the entire length of the Oldman and the fishing is great depending on the season and what you're after. Half the fun will be exploring so get out there and cover some water.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:10 PM

I've floated the section below the dam twice and fished it by myself a couple times. It's mainly a rainbow fishery. Days can be challenging if the water gets discoloured (dark green) which it is known for. Fishing is best in the late evenings when hatches are coming off (PMDs). There is good fishing immediately below the dam where they did all the stream mitigation work.

Good luck.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:32 PM

The section below the dam can be great with streamers like large clousers etc. Some really good sized rainbows in that stretch.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:49 PM

The river is showing signs of runoff already, had the dark green look to it at least where I was fishing this weekend. Oh well! still water season is almost here.