Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-20-2015, 04:28 PM

Default First bow

Looking for a first bow. Any recommendations would be awesome.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:57 PM

My first bow was a bear cruzer and it was great and never had any problems with it and would highly recommend it for a beginner bow. But I would also recommend to go to an archery shop and try out some bows before you buy one.
Good luck
Old 02-20-2015, 04:59 PM

If you do a search here you will find the answer to your questions, mostly. lol
To summarize it will come down to shooting as many bows as you can and you will find the one that fits you best, kind of like trying on shoes. The other big consideration is of course budget and the most expensive bow isn't always the best bow for you. Make sure your budget has room for things like release, sight, quiver, arrows, bow case, release, string wax etc.

Most bow shops should be able to set you on the right path. I'd go to a bow shop like Acurate Archery, Lost Arrow, Jim Bow's or any dedicated archery store. Not to say there aren't other places that are good but these places are a great place to start your search.

Welcome to the dark side as they say.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 02-20-2015, 05:16 PM

APA in my opinion, very sleek and light.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:48 PM

Where do u live and what is your budget
Old 02-20-2015, 06:15 PM

I live in Calgary and my budget is cheep I'm not looking for anything fancy just something to put some game down.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:19 PM

Head to Jimbows they can help you out.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 02-20-2015, 06:25 PM

x2
Old 02-20-2015, 08:37 PM

Jimbow's is great and so is the Calgary Archery Center. Between the two they carry most brands and have techs that will measure you up for draw length, show you bows in your price range and let you shoot a few.
There are some great starter packages out there that will shoot very well. Don't be afraid to look for bows a year old still on the rack. I think that Diamond offers some very good bows that are a good value. Once you get an idea of what you want look at the used market as well. There are a lot of guys that sell lightly used bows every year or two.

Good luck.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:44 PM

Thanks for the info
Old 02-20-2015, 10:34 PM

check both big box stores, lost of bows on sale from last year.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:57 PM

Hoyt charger is probably your best bang for your buck.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:25 AM

For entry to mid level bows look at the G5, Bowtech, and Hoyt. G5 Quest line is very good and uses alot of the same tech as the Primes. The Bowtech sub-lines always gets great reviews and Hoyt has put out some really good mid level bows recently. When I say mid level you are looking at between $500-600 new for the bow alone. Case, sight, rest, quiver, arrows, and a release, and you are at or over $1000 fairly quick. Stay away from package bows as the accessories are usually junk.

If this is out of your budget, still go to an archery and shoot as many as you can. When you find 1 that you like, then start searching for a used 1. Bows do not hold their value and a 2-3 year old bow will sell sometimes for 1/2 it's original purchase price.

Generally all accessories (other than arrows) will fit any modern bow. Do some reasearch online and start looking for your sight, rest etc... in the used sections now. Guys are always updating their gear and this could save you some cash now, which will allow you to buy a new bow with warranty and worry free.

Good Luck on your search.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:16 AM

Check out mission by Mathews very good bows for the price