Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-23-2015, 10:22 PM

Default Draw Weight Reduction?

Back in 2003 I built a bow at an outdoor skills workshop. The instructor was from Washington state. He had brought in a number of blanks of various types of wood and lengths. There wasn't much choice by the time I got into the class. The one I chose was Osage Orange. It was a one day class and almost everyone at the least finished their bow, enough to shoot it that day. The rest of the finishing and fine tuning, we were on our own at home. We also made an arrow if we had time.
My question is; the draw weight is about 80 lbs. And I'd like to reduce it. What do I have to do? Am I reducing the wood on the inside? Outside? Sides? I'd like to take it down to something a little more pleasant to shoot. I was at an archery range tonight; right now there's a few muscles that I forgot I had and tomorrow morning Rub A535 are I are getting together!
Old 02-24-2015, 08:03 AM

Wholly crap 80 lbs...you must eat your Wheaties in the morning ...lol

Im not a expert bower by any means...the bows I have made were of survival type...the one thing I know is you can only take so much weight off a bow before you "compromise the integrity" of the bow.

I do know that expert boyers can do what they do but it comes at a cost as the bow has to be worked with tiller and draw weight...than re-finished...
Time consuming and expensive...

I know I wouldnt attempt it if I liked the bow..lol

I would find an professionial bower or maybe simply buy a lower poundage bow for the cost..and keep the original for a momento...?

Petew here on the forum would be the best bet to steer you in the right direction ...

http://www.peteward.com/

Neil
Old 02-24-2015, 09:32 AM

Default weight reduction

order the set of books- Bowyers Bible. There were 4 volumes when I got mine. Chapters can get them in. You reduce the weight by removing material from the back of the bow- side facing you. After you read the books, you will understand how, where and why. Its pretty easy but extremely intimidating. Also highly rewarding! The worst thing that will happen is that you will get to build a new one. The best thing that can happen is you end up with a bow that is pleasant to shoot.

Terry
Old 02-25-2015, 09:42 PM

Whoa. The back is the side away from you, the belly is the side closest to you. With Osage do not touch the back, all material removed should come from the belly side.

To reduce this one you will need to start from scratch and re tiller it as you go. Don't draw it past the weight you want it to be. Start at 1" more than brace height and remove belly wood until you get your desired draw weight at 1" more than brace height. Exercise it at least 25 times at this short draw length and then do it all over again at 2" more than brace height. Watch the tiller as you proceed and correct it as you go. Exercise at least 25 times ,Scrape and Tiller the bow at every 1" all the way to completion . Check tiller every time too, and correct as needed. No short cuts, and do not draw it past your target draw weight . When you get to your draw length keep on going for another inch.
Exercising is drawing the bow ONLY TO THE DESIRED DRAW WEIGHT. You are building a new memory into the wood just like you would do with a virgin stave.