Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-16-2015, 10:59 PM

Default Walk me through tuning.

This is my first hunting bow.
I've Had my Carbon Night for almost two months now.
28.5/65lbs. Arrows are 28" Maxima Red 350. (65lbs is getting fairly easy now so I'm going to step up to 70lbs this week)
Done lot's of shooting to break it in and develop good shooting form.
Groups great and 20-30 and sometimes at 40 yards. (depending on me)
Decided to see how it shot through paper last night and it had about a 1-1/4" tear moving up-left. A couple a small adjustments on the rest and it dropped down to a 1/4" going straight up.
I'm pretty happy with that.
Never got a chance to sight it in again as I know it will be out.
After I get it sighted I'm going to do some walk back tuning.
Does this sound about right. I'm trying not to do things backwards.
Anything after that?

Thanks.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:36 PM

Add a broadhead tuning when the time comes and that's basically how I tuned my Assassin... advantage of my new rig is that the yokes can be adjusted to deal with paper tears vs moving the rest. The knight does not have yokes.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:19 AM

One should simply enjoy the bow until strings have settled...[stretched] and regardless of manufacturer... strings will settle to the point where bow should be spec tuned first after several hundred arrows on new or replaced strings
That is... tuned back to manufacturs specs..ATA, BH, idler lean, cam rotation etc...all that effects cam timing, draw length, and bow weight....etc and overall performance of bow.

Second stage is fine tuning arrow flight, clearance etc and accesories, equiptment with Center shot, paper training [tuning], walk back etc...

Third stage is broadhead tuning as we approach a hunting season...give plenty of time for this...

fourth is "tighten up that nut behind the string" with practice and form.

Here is a great link to a tuning guide...
http://www.eastonarchery.com/uploads...ning_Guide.pdf

I have my own tuning guides...posted them here long time ago and Pictures somehow disappeared...most describe solo cam but is same principle for all bows including duel cam...

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=165209

Neil
Old 02-17-2015, 09:18 AM

That is on overwhelming amount of information.
“My rifle … this is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my friend … I must master it as I must master my life. My rifle without me is useless … I will learn its strengths and weaknesses, its parts, its accessories, its sights, and its barrel. I will keep it clean and ready, we will become part of each other … before God, I swear this creed.” General William H. Rupertus
Old 02-17-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris89lx View Post
That is on overwhelming amount of information.
You asked...lol

Easy and fun once you get the hang of it... a bow press is necessary and makes life a lot easier!

Neil
Old 02-17-2015, 02:24 PM

Thanks for the info
“My rifle … this is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my friend … I must master it as I must master my life. My rifle without me is useless … I will learn its strengths and weaknesses, its parts, its accessories, its sights, and its barrel. I will keep it clean and ready, we will become part of each other … before God, I swear this creed.” General William H. Rupertus
Old 02-17-2015, 04:41 PM

Chris, the simple way to tune is drive to (or send to) Neil (lost arrow) and let him do all that
Old 02-17-2015, 08:01 PM

I like learning about this kind of stuff and doing what I can when I can.
Just seems a little overwhelming when some of that stuff didn't apply to me. (The Mathews Stuff)
I'm not complaining though.
Got my bow from Jimbows in Calgary. They have been nothing but great!!!
Just don't have the $200 for a super tune right now.
I'll go in and see if they will get it back to spec now that's broken in.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
I like learning about this kind of stuff and doing what I can when I can.
Just seems a little overwhelming when some of that stuff didn't apply to me. (The Mathews Stuff)
I'm not complaining though.
Got my bow from Jimbows in Calgary. They have been nothing but great!!!
Just don't have the $200 for a super tune right now.
I'll go in and see if they will get it back to spec now that's broken in.
I am pretty sure if you purchased your bow there they will spec tune/time it free of charge.

LC
Old 02-18-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I am pretty sure if you purchased your bow there they will spec tune/time it free of charge.

LC
Most should...but there are those that dont and charge a ridiculous fee to do so...be sure to ask first...

there was one shop that charged shooters another ridiculous fee for installing strings the shooter bought from them...

We install strings and spec tune the bow included in price of strings...
If bow was bought here we gladly RE-spec tune the bow once strings settle... included in original purchace...

Neil
Old 02-18-2015, 10:11 AM

If I get a chance today or tomorrow I will head over to JimBows and see what they can do.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:38 PM

Jim had no idea what I meant when I asked then if they would do a spec tune after breaking my bow in.
And to not worry about walk back tuning on a hunting bow.
If the broadheads group good then go shoot something.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Jim had no idea what I meant when I asked then if they would do a spec tune after breaking my bow in.
And to not worry about walk back tuning on a hunting bow.
If the broadheads group good then go shoot something.
??????Surely he knows strings stretch....when string stretch it effects draw weight, draw length, ATA, Cam timing, BH, lean, nock point and every other spec ?????????????? badly also...I have seen bows down 7 lbs draw length creep almost 3/4 inch...timing so far out it sounded like a shotgun going off...etc....

As far as no walkback....*Whistle*

Hmmmmm
Just saying
Neil
Old 02-19-2015, 04:37 PM

I mentioned strings stretching after break in but he didn't seem to concerned.
So all I did was get him to increase the draw weight and verify it. I'll shoot it at the 71lbs it measures at.
I'll shoot it through paper, walk back tune it and sight it in.
Thread on some broadheads and if they are the same as field points great. If not I'll see what he says then.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:52 PM

Paper tuning and walkback tuning will make broadhead tuning much easier. Basically paper tunings is a quick and easy way to check if your nock point vs rest height and windage are propers and your arrow is leaving your bow straight. Unfortunaltly this also incorporates bad form or a tourquey grip. Walk back tuning does pretty much the same thing but on a larger scale therfore shows any ultra fine adjustments you might need to make.
Broadhead tuning can be fustrating as certain broadhead fly different and preform different at extended ranges. If you have done a good walkback tune you should be pretty close. The reason why broadhead tuning is important it having a fixed blade broadhead on the front of your arrow is like shooting a arrow with the fletches forward this it is even more important to have your arrow leaving the bow atring and rest perfectly straight.

Chances are walkback and broadhead tuning will have to be done outside unless you have access to a 40-50 yard indoor area to shoot. Do yourself a favor and try and do this when there is no wind as that will effect your results significantly.