Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-17-2014, 05:38 PM

Default Troubles?

I have 24 snares out on an area with good trails and lots of coyote tracks, I have all my sets on used trails. I've done all the prep work, I boil my snares in baking soda and poplar leaves, I keep my snares in a Tupperware and outside with vegetation inside, I use rubber gloves handling snares and I use cover sent. I set my snares 10 inches off the ground with a ten inch diameter. It's been over a week and I haven't even had a miss. Am I doing something wrong? or is snaring coyotes that difficult? Any pointers helps.

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2014, 06:08 PM
Banned

Are they blind sets or are they near bait piles? It's been slow for me the past 2 weeks as well but I started 3 new bait sites that the yotes are just starting to come into. Hopefully, it'll pick up a bit. I've noticed that there have been fewer snared yotes posted up on the Coyote Count thread the last little bit so I think that it has slowed down for a lot of us. For me, patience is the key right now.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:37 PM

i think the only person that recommends 10"s of the ground, 10" loop is who ever wrote article in the regs.

look at tomcats picture of the dead coyote beside the tape measure. he's posted in another thread.

can't allways believe what you read.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson View Post
I use rubber gloves handling snares and I use cover sent. I set my snares 10 inches off the ground with a ten inch diameter. It's been over a week and I haven't even had a miss. Am I doing something wrong? or is snaring coyotes that difficult? Any pointers helps.

Thanks!
IMO your biggest problem may be the "cover scent"??? In most good coyote habitat, around rural farm and ranch areas, coyotes are very familiar with human scent and do not shy away from it unless concentrated in one spot associated with something else like a baited dirt hole; pee post or whatever, i.e. "scent control". Essentially have confidence, keep it simple and just get in, set and get out as quickly as possible. Your scent will generally dissipate within a day or so. The snare height above ground and loop diameter suggested by "braggadoe" may help also IMHO..
Old 12-17-2014, 07:33 PM

They're blind sets on trails in a draw going on to a creek bottom. There's a ranchers dead pit on the other side of the bank but I don't want to catch one of his collies so I decided to set up snares across the creek, there's literally JUST coyote tracks in this draw, I mean just coyote tracks. It's really warm and I know coyotes don't do a lot of moving around when it's warm but from the looks of all these guys snaring coyotes like a bastard, I thought I was doing something wrong cause I've only snared one and shot 16 lol. What would be the ideal ground from snare and diameter height and length?

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
. What would be the ideal ground from snare and diameter height and length? Thanks.
-Use a long 8-10 foot snare, in most situations – allows enough distance for the animal to lunge and set the lock solid, with a 14´loop set 14 “ off the ground

-Tie off high and solid 5-6 ft up a tree – solid tie allows for solid locking and tying high keeps the snare and lock high up on the back of the neck at the desired neck/base of skull dispatch zone. This is accomplished by forming an angle of about 45 degrees from the animal to the snare tie/anchor point.

-If unable to tie high and solid, ensure entanglement or provide a kill pole.

See my post on the "dispatching animals" thread on this forum for the 14 inch reasoning.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
What would be the ideal ground from snare and diameter height and length?
The manual says a 10"-12" loop and 12" bottom of snare to the ground. Those are the approximate measurements that I have been using and I haven't had to change it for any reason. When I open my hand and spread my fingers it's about 8" from the tip of my thumb to the tip of my pinky finger and then I add about 3" for the loop (11") and 4" from the ground (12"). When the snow is deeper, I measure from the bottom of the foot print to the bottom of the loop.

Quote:
It's really warm and I know coyotes don't do a lot of moving around when it's warm but from the looks of all these guys snaring coyotes like a bastard, I thought I was doing something wrong cause I've only snared one and shot 16 lol.
Some guys may be setting a lot more snares out, more snares = more coyotes caught.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
They're blind sets on trails in a draw going on to a creek bottom. There's a ranchers dead pit on the other side of the bank but I don't want to catch one of his collies so I decided to set up snares across the creek, there's literally JUST coyote tracks in this draw, I mean just coyote tracks. It's really warm and I know coyotes don't do a lot of moving around when it's warm but from the looks of all these guys snaring coyotes like a bastard, I thought I was doing something wrong cause I've only snared one and shot 16 lol. What would be the ideal ground from snare and diameter height and length?

Thanks.
I think what your saying is false cause with beat down trails that your saying and O progress.and your telling me in this post the same progress as my agend when i nock it out of the park on the same kinda travel highways every winter when dogs are commited to a bait.hmmmmmm sompthin very simple is goin on why your not producing with just drop on trail snares.
And dogs move greatly in big miles on warm spells in winter months to find the best availible feed to insure there survival for the -30+ days to come that they no are very near.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
I have 24 snares out on an area with good trails and lots of coyote tracks, I have all my sets on used trails. I've done all the prep work, I boil my snares in baking soda and poplar leaves, I keep my snares in a Tupperware and outside with vegetation inside, I use rubber gloves handling snares and I use cover sent. I set my snares 10 inches off the ground with a ten inch diameter. It's been over a week and I haven't even had a miss. Am I doing something wrong? or is snaring coyotes that difficult? Any pointers helps.

Thanks!
How long ago. Sometimes it takes a couple days to weeks before the resident coyotes come back into the area again. Sometime little is more. I don't do anymore than dip my snares in boiling water for 12 hours. Set up on a new bait sight last night and had three this morning. Bigger loops higher off works for me. Are you seeing any refusals in the snow? Post a pic of.your snare on the trail. Maybe your blocking the trail with your small loop and it's too bold.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:16 PM

Do you have enough fresh snow to tell if they are going around your snares?

Coy beat me to it.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:40 PM

I've tried the bait thing and I don't have access to a lot of meat scraps or anything to make the big bait piles, the baits I've put out had zero activity but it's hard to compete with that dead pit across the creek, I know I'd catch coyotes in the bush around that dead pit but I agreed with the land owner that I wouldn't set snares near it due to his dog going down there occasionally. I guess I'll just be patient.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
Do you have enough fresh snow to tell if they are going around your snares?

Coy beat me to it.

No snow down here, it's been in the plus temperatures for 2 weeks now.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy coyote View Post
How long ago. Sometimes it takes a couple days to weeks before the resident coyotes come back into the area again. Sometime little is more. I don't do anymore than dip my snares in boiling water for 12 hours. Set up on a new bait sight last night and had three this morning. Bigger loops higher off works for me. Are you seeing any refusals in the snow? Post a pic of.your snare on the trail. Maybe your blocking the trail with your small loop and it's too bold.

I set them Sunday. I don't have any pictures but I'll take one and post it when I get back out there.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
I set them Sunday. I don't have any pictures but I'll take one and post it when I get back out there.
I thought that you set them a week ago but they've only been out for a couple of days? I wouldn't worry too much if that's the case.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:44 PM

There is obviously something wrong. If you are in any prairie parts of Alberta and have a bait out and can't catch a yote in a couple days then there is for sure something wrong. Not sure what it is but I hope you figure it out
Old 12-18-2014, 07:51 AM

I don't have a bait out.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I thought that you set them a week ago but they've only been out for a couple of days? I wouldn't worry too much if that's the case.

Sunday, almost a week lol my bad.