Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-12-2014, 09:23 PM

Default Dispatching animals

Ok guys, canines caught in a leg hold best dispatched with a head shot or in the vitals? I know head is faster but usually more blood, what do you prefer?

Thanks,
Old 12-12-2014, 09:33 PM

Marty senneker showed an awesome way to do it in his one snaring video. Head shot between the ear and eye I think it is. Hate to make unnecessary holes in the hide by shooting then in the vitals. I myself dispatch anything alive from a distance above the eyes in the forehead with a 22 short
Old 12-12-2014, 09:43 PM

Makes sense. I guess the head fur isn't to important and extra blood washes out.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:03 PM

Default dispatching animals

Same here, on coyotes, a .22 short solid between the eyes, a little high, in the forehead. Usually from about 25 feet away. Results are instant, and no fur damage.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:49 PM
Banned

Imagine an X from the left ear to the right eye, and the right ear to the left eye and shoot the centre of the X. They drop but I give them a second shot for good measure with the muzzle up against the forehead. You don't have to sew the holes and the blood washes right out.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:08 PM

I use 22 shorts. I basically walk right up to them and shoot about 12 " away from them. As long as they can't reach you , you might as well get as close as you can get for no screw ups.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:24 AM

That between the eye and ear there is a lot of muscle and the hole will almost close behind the bullet. The blood is very limited. Please note you cannot aim downward at the spot. The bullet has to be direct to the brain same angle if that makes sense.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:11 AM

head shoot them from a distance. as far away as you can, and still make the perfect shot.

had a coyote this fall. only being held by the toe nails. had i walked right up to it. i'm sure it would of pulled out and escaped as i was walking up. would of felt pretty stupid.

critical, to dispatch at a distance when you have 2 very close together. have yet to have a triple in foot traps. i'm sure that would be pretty wild. can't wait.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:44 AM
Gone Hunting

I always shot them in the head. My preference was to use .22 shorts but any .22 seemed to work well enough.

Small holes in the head do not effect the price one gets. I know guys that dispatch Coyote with shotguns and so long as the pellets only hit the head and neck regions they get as good a price as I used to get.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-14-2014, 08:43 AM

If you hold a stick close to their mouth they usually clamp down hard and you can put the barrel right where you want it.
Crazy jaw strength on a coyote, gotta be right up there with pitbulls.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
If you hold a stick close to their mouth they usually clamp down hard and you can put the barrel right where you want it.
Crazy jaw strength on a coyote, gotta be right up there with pitbulls.
Never had one attack or bite anything. If anything they bluff charge you. Most just sit there and look at you. Just make sure your far enough away that if he does come that he isn't going to reach you. Most are so tangled up they are not going anywhere. I have more than I wanted like this, this year. I am not sure why. The snares are 8 feet long tied at 5-6 feet tall. It seems that some locks are caught in the fur I find so that may be the reason. Others I have just had a bad catch with the loop too big. The more I catch the more I am getting better at making the loop smaller
Old 12-14-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
It seems that some locks are caught in the fur I find so that may be the reason. Others I have just had a bad catch with the loop too big. The more I catch the more I am getting better at making the loop smaller
IMO and experience a large loop is only a problem when set to low to the ground. The key to getting a good high neck catch with a large loop is to use a well loaded snare, and set it high, with the bottom of the loop 14-16 inches above the ground or snow level, so they hit the snare just under the jaw. Some coyotes may walk under the snare, but coyotes do not travel a lot with their heads down; they often travel with their heads up. If one goes under the snare, on the next trip it will come through with its head up, or another coyote will come through with its head up. The following pictures show an average size female with its head level with the shoulders in a basic travel mode, thus my reasoning for height of snare above the ground at 14-16 inches:

You can see I had to dispatch this coyote although the snare was high on the neck where desired, bur shyte happens. Some how, although the snare was tied off high, this coyote somehow got a leg over the cable and fouled it from closing properly.

Last edited by tomcat; 12-14-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:32 PM

Great Picture Tomcat thanks. I think I will try and hang them higher from now on. I have actually had a couple go right through my snare looking at the fresh tracks in the snow lol My loops are usually 13-14". I usually have them 10 " off the ground but will bump it up a couple more inches as well. Thanks
Old 12-14-2014, 02:50 PM

As already said , .22 , head shot ! A piece of cardboard or some sawdust on the floor and it's an easy cleanup with the blood !
Old 12-14-2014, 08:39 PM

Does anyone else out there dispatch without a rifle?Its very simple and humane.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:48 PM

I think a 22 is the best way to provide a humane dispatch and safety to the one doing the dispatch...IMHO shot between the eye and the ear is very quick.

LC
Old 12-14-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder monkey View Post
Does anyone else out there dispatch without a rifle?Its very simple and humane.
Yes but a guy probably shouldn't go into detail describe it on here. Might stir the manure pile a bit.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:07 PM

I always used a 22 short to the head.
Cat
Old 12-16-2014, 06:30 AM

surprised no one has mentioned the 17hmr. i don't like getting close. from 50-100 yrds away you can still put it in exactly where you want it. with no fur damage.

shotgun, is probably the worst possible gun for dispatching a critter. another example of a pelt that might grade well. but come back from the tannery damaged. costing someone else money.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:57 AM

I use the .17 for snared dogs. Seems to work well and a small hole for sure.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:00 PM

Nobody uses a choker pole?