Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-09-2014, 09:17 PM

Default bait box

is there a place to buy a bait box for coyotes or do most people just make their own???
Old 12-09-2014, 10:38 PM
Banned

I don't have a bait box, I put the bait in the box of the truck and put the bait on the ground at the bait site.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drandle View Post
is there a place to buy a bait box for coyotes or do most people just make their own???
I'm not sure what you need a box for? You want the birds to be able to get at it.

If you mean for storage until you put it out I use 45 gallon barrels.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:55 PM

ya we where thinking of some sort of box so they couldn't wolf down all the bait in like a day. they would have to work at it and it would last quit a bit longer.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:04 PM

Meat sickles work best if you're trying to shoot them. But if your snaring them only the ravens and small critters will be feeding much. Shouldn't be too hard on bait. IMO a box with bait in it will cause coyotes to shy away
Old 12-11-2014, 08:24 PM

okay thanks. I take what u mean by meat sickles is having the carcass frozen?? is there any thing else to it????
Old 12-11-2014, 08:45 PM

Put pieces of bait in a tub, add water and freeze solid. If you have a chain or cable with a plate on it suspend it in the middle of the bait when freezing. That way you will have a way to secure the block of bait to a tree
Old 12-11-2014, 09:04 PM

One bait site I had where the bait was disappearing fast,I decided to stake a big piece of stucco wire overtop of it. It slowed down the birds, but the coyotes quit coming altogether.I still think this might work in certain scenarios but I never tried it again.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:14 PM

I never used any bait containers....I got mine from an abbatoir so it was mostly small pieces, trimmings, ribs etc. and placed it directly on the ground. As has been said, you don't need a big bait pile.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:04 AM

okay. thanks guys for the ideas. will have to try this out in the next couple days!!!!!
Old 12-13-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
I never used any bait containers....I got mine from an abbatoir so it was mostly small pieces, trimmings, ribs etc. and placed it directly on the ground. As has been said, you don't need a big bait pile.
I agree a guy don't need a big bait pile. hehe

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 12-13-2014, 11:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder monkey View Post
One bait site I had where the bait was disappearing fast,I decided to stake a big piece of stucco wire overtop of it. It slowed down the birds, but the coyotes quit coming altogether.I still think this might work in certain scenarios but I never tried it again.
Coyotes can be finicky. This week I put out 2 bait sites, one was a block of trim right on the ground and the other was the same but stuck to the bottom of a cardboard box. I just folded the sides of the box down and left the box with the trim in it there and the coyotes didn't touch it while the other bait disappeared. I could see their tracks circling the box about 10 feet away. They were concerned with the cardboard box and wouldn't go near the bait.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:40 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Coyotes can be finicky. This week I put out 2 bait sites, one was a block of trim right on the ground and the other was the same but stuck to the bottom of a cardboard box. I just folded the sides of the box down and left the box with the trim in it there and the coyotes didn't touch it while the other bait disappeared. I could see their tracks circling the box about 10 feet away. They were concerned with the cardboard box and wouldn't go near the bait.
I kinda though that might be the case, but I wasn't sure.
I do know that they can be real picky about human activity and it stands to reason that man made items might have a similar effect.

I like the meat sickle idea. It's all natural and shouldn't spook even the shyest animal. I have seen where Moose have fallen through thin ice and became trapped. Once they die the scavengers, including Wolves and Coyotes clean them up so clearly ice does not scare them off.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-15-2014, 10:14 PM

I just put out a 600 pound calf on my prospect site and she was gone in 3 days, my theory has always been bait them hard at first and thin it down as the snares get set.
Correct me if I'm wrong guys but I'm there to snare them not feed them.

And no we don't always use 600 pounds at a time, it was just really cold and i didn't want to cut meat to make it go further
Old 12-15-2014, 11:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I kinda though that might be the case, but I wasn't sure.
I do know that they can be real picky about human activity and it stands to reason that man made items might have a similar effect.
All week I've been baiting this one site every day and every day the bait would be gone. Today I showed up and the bait was still there. When I added more bait I noticed a pair of blue disposable gloves outside of the bait pile that the butcher must have thrown in the bag. I didn't see them when I emptied the bag so the birds likely pulled them out of the pile. That was enough for the coyotes to avoid the bait.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:17 AM

your giving them to much credit. if your bait goes cold. its because there not hungry. they're eating somewhere else. you could throw a plastic household bag of garbage out there, and they would shred it. if they are hungry.

one of the many benefits of a huge bait pile is not having to disturb it(replenish). bigger is better.

run more baits(bigger) instead of checking(replenishing) the same few baits every day.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:24 AM

I don't bait every day I put out a sizeable amount once a week. Then set hard that day. (Due to time restriction and daylight. If I had choice and time I would set hard 1 day after baiting ). Then I check snares every 2 days and replace and add the odd snare every 2 day check where needed. I have been baiting the same spot since Oct and now have pulled 30 yotes off of that bait. My bait is ribcage and legs from butchering deer. Moose or deer hides keep them coming back when the meat is picked clean.

I had one bait pile and I caught 6 and the bait went cold I noticed yotes killed a deer about 200yards away. Feeding on something else. I also noticed at that bait I'd catch a couple yotes and the bait would be cold for a few days. Then get visited again. Honestly my snares were probably to close to the bait but the pinch points for snares were too tempting. Which may have hurt my catch there. Not sure. But the other bait I was setting a bit close and still snaging them. Its all a learning curve. That's why its fun.

Bill.