Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-09-2012, 01:15 PM

Default Best Place to Take CFSC and CRFSC Courses in Calgary?

By best you can assume I mean cheapest lol. Long as it's not called 3 Fingered Joe's Gun Instruction or something

I'm aware the test-only rates are lower but me and Dad never really did the Father/Son shooting thing. And he's in Newfoundland so the course is probably worth doing.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:36 PM

I did mine at the Shooting Edge about 6-7 years ago and it was fine. I think seeing as very few will have taken it multiple times there will not be anyone who's taken every course available for an apples to apples comparison though . Calgary Shooting Centre will certainly be another facility with a range that you could go. I've just been mentoring a buddy from work who wants to get into hunting and firearms and I gave him those options as well, and I'm also taking him out shooting soon. I know that Pro Line Shooters in Inglewood will offer testing for PAL challenges, but they have no range. There's another place I frequently see a billboard for on 41st Ave between Edmonton Trail and Centre St offering PAL testing and perhaps a course, but I have no idea or references for whoever offers that; the sign has been up for years though.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I did mine at the Shooting Edge about 6-7 years ago and it was fine. I think seeing as very few will have taken it multiple times there will not be anyone who's taken every course available for an apples to apples comparison though . Calgary Shooting Centre will certainly be another facility with a range that you could go. I've just been mentoring a buddy from work who wants to get into hunting and firearms and I gave him those options as well, and I'm also taking him out shooting soon. I know that Pro Line Shooters in Inglewood will offer testing for PAL challenges, but they have no range. There's another place I frequently see a billboard for on 41st Ave between Edmonton Trail and Centre St offering PAL testing and perhaps a course, but I have no idea or references for whoever offers that; the sign has been up for years though.
Yeah the Shooting Edge seems to be the Bass Pro Shop of gun places around here. But everything looks overpriced there.

Was actually in Pro Line yesterday, maybe I should have asked them lol.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:04 AM

Default Aheia

Check out Alberta Hunters Education Instructors Asociation. They are in the south west. This is a top notch organization in a cool facility. The instructors are awesome and they ask for donations as payment.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallAirFever View Post
Check out Alberta Hunters Education Instructors Asociation. They are in the south west. This is a top notch organization in a cool facility. The instructors are awesome and they ask for donations as payment.
X2 I would much rather give my money to AHEIA where it will be put to good use.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:06 AM

I'll give the AHEIA a call today but their website is a little ambiguous. Their posted schedule says the last PAL class was in July. Don't know if they're getting away from that or just not maintaining the website.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:16 AM

Default Aheia

AHEIA has around two class's per month. web site may not be up to date, however call and get your name on a waiting list for classes.

Excellent group of instructors and cost is a donation.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:54 AM

Well I got into the non-restricted course at AHEIA for October. Restricted is booked solid for this year though. So I'll have to go another route for that if I want my RPAL before Christmas.