Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-07-2012, 07:38 PM

Default Best Autoloader?

Looking at purchasing a new Goose Hunter.

Wondering which is the best way to go. Benelli, Beretta? Also lookg at the Remington Versa Max, Winchester super X3 and the new browning A5's.

Any suggestions/experience with the new semi-autio's?

Thanks
Old 09-07-2012, 10:44 PM

Default choices

really most everyone make a good semi auto shotgun, pretty much comes down to how much you have to spend. I have always used Beretta and have been very happy. I have an Extrema 391 with kick off and a Teknys 20 gauge that has seen a pile of ammo in the years I have owned it.

I bought a Browning Golden Clays that has been a large PITA and has been back to browning and it still jams on factory ammo.
Replaced it with a Beretta Parallel target model, nothin but smooth operation. FS
Old 09-07-2012, 10:47 PM

Default A5

Older A5 models in 12 gauge seems to me were quite heavy compared to how guns are made now. A lot of fellows could never get used to the " hump " design, shot them a lot as my first 12 gauge was an A5. FS
Old 09-07-2012, 10:48 PM
Banned

I think you will find that there are members on here that have shot all the models you mentioned...and more. I have only shot the SBE and a Maxus, both shot well and fit me well, although I added one spacer for LOP in the Maxus. If you do a search you will find lots of info on all the models you listed and why members decided to purchase the model they now shoot. Get the model that fits you best and I don't think the name on it will matter.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:56 PM

I love my Benelli. Have not used any others though.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:13 PM

Really its $'s, fit and personal preference. I have shot the Beretta's, Benelli's, tried the Remington versa/ 11-87/1100 and the browning maxus.. My preference is gas operated, not inertia so that narrowed it down. I had a new 391 last year with kick off, was a beautiful gun and was very happy with it, but I bought the new A400 Extreme. LUV IT!! , Surprisingly uptil now I think the maxus was the lightest shooting, well no more, that went out the door with my new Xtreme. A400 by far the nicest auto I have shot bar none.

pick them all up and see what fits you best, then from there work with your budget and Im sure you wont be disappointed. Dont think you can go wrong with Beretta, Benelli or Browning. I never like the versa max but have budies that shoot them and enjoy shooting them, no complaints.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:24 AM

Default Baikal mp 153 semi auto

The BAIKAL MP 153 is the BEST SEMI AUTO IN THE WORLD.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:33 AM

One vote for the Winchester SX3. I have owned one for two years now and it is reliable, good looking, light, etc. Everything you could ask for, it's also basically the same action as the Browning.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Banned

Location: FTR Road in the summer (flyfishin), The bush in autum (huntin) the hills in winter (shreddin the pow

Browning Maxus or Benelli super Black eagle II
Old 09-10-2012, 11:23 AM

Browning, Beretta or Bennelli any one of those are great, comes down to budget and personal fit.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:56 AM

I have a Maxus and really like it but I dont think you can got wrong aslong as the brand name starts with a "B" (Browning Benelli or Beretta)
The new A400 is the Extrema Replacement I belive and it looks sweet I never liked the fit of the Extrema but with the new A400 it looks like they changed my dislikes.
That Versa Max looks good too but I just dont like what Remington has been putting out recently.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:43 PM

I have a sx3 and love it. Couldn't ask for a smoother operating gun. Never had any jams or problems with it.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:46 PM

For the budget minded the Stoeger semis seem pretty good.
I was tempted to buy one but then grabbed a SBE II....last shotgun I will probably ever buy.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Gone Hunting

I bought a Rem 1100 some years back that came with a nice vent rib barrel that I promptly removed. I ordered a rifled slug barrel and got a scope mount and put a 2.5 power scope on it. I sighted it in with Federal sabot slugs that would shoot a 2 3/4 inch group at 100 yards. It was my deer hunting slug gun.

One day I removed the slug gear and put the vent rib tube back on. I took it out goose hunting and couldn't miss. So i figured it was going to be my waterfowl gun from then on.

But I picked up an Auto 5 and took it out to a goose shoot. It knocked them down pretty good so now I have my slug gun back and the auto 5 is my waterfowl gun.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 09-10-2012, 10:07 PM

Nice Pic Duffy!
A5's are classics as well as the 1100.
I read in Waterfowl magazine last year about the hey day of the market hunting on Chesapeake bay.
There was a famous market hunter who wore out a fore end each year on his A5!
Cat