Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-17-2008, 10:48 PM

Default Just completed my new gopher killer...

Well, I decided this year to not use my 7mm rem mag to shoot gophers and setup a proper varmint gun.

I decided on the Remington 700 Varmint in .223. I chose this gun based on the price. It has some nice features for a very reasonable price. Also, .223 was an obvious choice because I can buy cheap surplus ammo... (gun was $560 at Wholesale)

I deviated from Leupold as my usual choice of optics and went with a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40 scope. I bought the scope off of Ebay, brand new for $280. So far, I like the clarity and I think I will be happy with it.

Im going to shoot the gun for the first time tomrrow. We`ll see how it goes. Here she is....

Old 03-17-2008, 10:53 PM

What did you use for mounts on that Nikon ???
I just bought the same gun in the .17 Fireball...had a 6-18 VXII sitting on the shelf doing nothing, SO.............

Last edited by LuckySeven; 03-17-2008 at 10:54 PM. Reason: added
Old 03-18-2008, 07:52 AM

I like lucky have the same gun in the 17 FB. Has the same action in it as the Rem 700 Police. You will love it.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:12 PM

I used Burris Xtreme Tactical mounts and rings.
http://www.burriscompany.com/xtrrings.html

I put about 50 rounds (55 gr) through the gun today at a 50yd rifle range that I have access to. So far I love the gun. It shot really well right out of the box. Very low recoil and the heavy barrel feels really nice to shoot.

The scope is nice as well, very clear.crisp and the side focus adjustment is really nice to have.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:12 PM

They look pretty solid...but awfully high as well. Could you not have got anything to bring the scope height down ???
50 yds is OK for an initial sighting but that .223 ...but I'd be saving those rounds for a little more long range tuning ( 100-300yds) Should be due for a good cleaning if you ran that many through on it's first outting !!!
Old 03-18-2008, 08:25 PM

Looks Great....Did you go through the "BREAK IN" procedure with your new gun? or don't you bother?? Just askin to see how many people do or don't.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:52 PM

I dont bother with the break in too much. I probably would if I bought a high-end gun though.

As for the ring height, I'm stuck with the ones I have unless I go to a gunsmith to have them modified. The heavy barrel makes the medium rings not quite cut it for clearance. So far I've found them not too bad as far as me looking comfortably through the scope. But until I spend a few hours proned out shooting gophers its hard to say.

LUCKYSEVEN
I have the luxury of a private range and extremely cheap ammo for 50yd shooting. I was so anxious to shoot it that I coulnt resist. Hopefully I will be making it out to Genesee in a week or so and really dial it in properly