Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-26-2011, 08:10 AM

Exclamation Calgary Local Meeting Reminder!

Just a reminder that our first meeting will be held this Sunday, October 30th, at 1 p.m. in High River, at the Super 8 Hotel. We are hoping to get a good enough turnout to have elections for the executive. Please contact me to let me know if you are coming, either by PM or email to:

calgarytrappers@hotmail.ca

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 10-29-2011, 06:26 PM

I have just gotten an email from our Zone Directors who may not attend the meeting if we do not have some people lined up to be on the executive. I told them I have made it clear to everyone that we want to hold an election and trust that some people will step forward tomorrow and let their names stand. I have not heard from anyone yet that they may be interested, so I am wondering if anyone out there is??!! We have about 19 attending and about 6 maybes, plus hopefully, maybe some who will just show up. If anyone reads this before tomorrow, at least think about running. Otherwise, this thing will not go anywhere.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 10-29-2011, 07:22 PM

Default Criteria?

It was my understanding when people were first asked to sign up for a trapping local that you could be a trapper, former trapper or just someone interested in trapping. As far as running for a position I feel it should be fillled by real trappers. I haven't been licenced for 10 years and while I may buy a licence this year to trap coyotes on the farm I certainly don't feel (as a few others have expressed) qualified to run for an executive position.

Guess many of us feel "real" full or part time trappers should be heading this up rather than some of us casual interest people.

If the Association feels it is not worth their while to attend without a formal election then perhaps it is best to just leave it as a social network for trappers and those interested in trapping without a formal affiliation.
We have several social groups on AO under community and while I am a member of goosebusters and the coyote hunting group none of those social groups insisted on a formal election.
Rob
Old 10-30-2011, 08:01 AM

I agree with you that it should be real trappers being elected...At any rate, the ATA Zone Directors have decided NOT to attend, citing previously unsuccessful attempts at a local and lack of interest in the election. Once we have an executive in place, THEN they will come down and help... I am not very happy about this and I sure hope we get enough guys coming out that will be interested enough to see this through.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:55 PM

Molly in defense of the ATA there is expense associated with attending meetings. The Grande Prairie local also went dormant for a while. Our local trappers were contacted and asked if we were interested enough to start our own local and we said yes. However it was all on us to get a hall and get trappers out and elect an executive. The ATA did provide information on what our structure should be.

We managed fine and since that time have had good support from the ATA. What really sucked though is of the 75 trappers who attended the first "lets get organized" meeting only a core 20-25 show up at meetings. i guess that's just the way it is.

If the GP local can help your new local in any way please let us know. As a new local we feel your pian. take care.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:19 AM

Thank you, Brian. As you can see by my new thread, we have a full executive and for now will be independent until we review a few things and get some bylaws in place, etc. We plan to contact some of the other locals to get their view on what is happening at the ATA, as well as hopefully get some information from the ATA that we can review.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:04 PM

Well Molly it's a free country, good luck.