Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-26-2011, 11:24 AM

Default Trapline Value 6 townships

Looking at a couple lines and not sure of the going price.
Couple cabins, some traps, extensive trails.
Prime marten area.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:16 PM
Banned

IMHO Jim, there is no "going price" for any trapline. The seller has his asking price and the potential buyer has his limt as well,, Seems to me to be pretty much cut and dried.. This same question has been raised here a hundred time and each time, the same ### rises to the top and guys who have never had to maintain a line just can't understand... If you don't have to travel a whole day to get to it, there is not a line up to buy it and there are the accessories that you want, then I think the answer is in front of you.....you can always walk.
As Mr Bussy used to say --"it's just that easy"
Old 10-26-2011, 03:30 PM

Ya I know what you are saying. I guess I just need someone to tell me to go and buy it.
Just don't want to spend all my savings, only to find a better deal.
Feel this one is overpriced. And I'm not looking for a summer getaway cabin as this one is winter access only.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:51 PM

What are they asking,and if you rather not say thats fine
Old 10-26-2011, 07:01 PM
Banned

Pls Guys, lets not go down this road again... If you don't know what I mean, just search some old posts, they're all the same...and the worst part is, that those that are not even trappers get pi$$ed that some trapper is selling for whatever, regardless, with those people, it is way too much..
PM me Jim with a Phone # and we can talk if you like...
Old 10-26-2011, 08:14 PM

Why people would get ****ed off is beyond me doug it is like anything else in the world it is worth what someone is willing to pay,if you don't like the price don't buy it I was not asking to ruffle any feathers I was just curious
Old 10-26-2011, 09:32 PM
Banned

I know MM that you were not to ruffle anything, but that is what I have said the last hundred posts on this same subject. Once again, for the last time I'll say it, it's those who don't have, that say it's too much...welll then get on your sled and ride..
Why don't we get for a coffee soon, MM...:character0175
Old 10-27-2011, 07:08 AM

$300,000 I know what your saying doug and it is a touchy subject but you should send him a pm with what you or others with experience would pay for a line like this. Its sounds like he just needs a reference to what lines similar go for. I know my attitude has changed some as i am trapping a line that has not been trapped in a long time, has no vehicle accsess so making the trails from scracth or from horse trails which is sometimes worse is a heck of a lot of work. I appreciate the work but some people are just trying to make fast money. I think it would be a different world if people were actually forced to trap them properly. But you are right everyone has the price they will sell/ buy, maybe the op should check the classifieds in tappers mag and make some phone calls for refrences on other lines for prices. Snowfall last night it's just about prime time
Old 10-27-2011, 07:36 AM
AO Sponsor

Seems like some lines go sky high. I guess that's life.

Last edited by Marty S; 10-27-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:13 AM

Hey Jim, just bust open that savings jar and go for it! If its a lifelong dream you might as well make it happen
Old 10-27-2011, 10:18 AM

Default Prices

Alberta needs a law that requies a minimum catch from a trapline to stop the speculators from driving the prices to unreasonable levels. I know of one were the guy has owned it for 6 years, never set a trap and has done no maintainence of any kind and is asking more than 5 times what he paid. Something needs to happen to prevent this type of activity. As I have said before---trap it or lose it!
Old 10-27-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapperdan View Post
Alberta needs a law that requies a minimum catch from a trapline to stop the speculators from driving the prices to unreasonable levels. I know of one were the guy has owned it for 6 years, never set a trap and has done no maintainence of any kind and is asking more than 5 times what he paid. Something needs to happen to prevent this type of activity. As I have said before---trap it or lose it!
It's only the people who are not trapping their line abusing it that would actually have a problem with this. Problem is there is no money or care for enforcement so it will stay like this
Old 10-27-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxz1997 View Post
Hey Jim, just bust open that savings jar and go for it! If its a lifelong dream you might as well make it happen
X2 if you can make it happen a really want to just do it, life is too short do what you enjoy cause you only live once.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainMusic View Post
It's only the people who are not trapping their line abusing it that would actually have a problem with this. Problem is there is no money or care for enforcement so it will stay like this
You are most likely correct and the end result will be that eventually the RFMA's will be a thing of the past. Has happened elsewhere!! Just a damn shame that something can not be done to correct this before it is too late.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:25 PM
Banned

Here in Alberta, We will make our own laws and live or die with the same.. We know where the NEB and gun control came from....
Old 10-27-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
You are most likely correct and the end result will be that eventually the RFMA's will be a thing of the past. Has happened elsewhere!! Just a damn shame that something can not be done to correct this before it is too late.
I wouldn't say nothing could be done some people put a lot of money and time/effort into trying to make things right but not everyone sees things the same way. \and of course some are wearing rose colour glasses.It is sad really when you look at the big picture.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainMusic View Post
I wouldn't say nothing could be done some people put a lot of money and time/effort into trying to make things right but not everyone sees things the same way. \and of course some are wearing rose colour glasses.It is sad really when you look at the big picture.
There is little doubt that there are many who like the system as is so they can continue to abuse it. Unfortunately it is at the expense of those who are "REAL TRAPPERS" who can not afford to purchase trapline assetts at the elevated prices many are asking for their lines. This will eventually lead the the abolition of the RFMA system and all cabins will be illegal. Maybe some of those who have traplines and do not trap but have built an "expensive cottage or hunt camp" should consider this. Their little dream will be valueless and rightfully so! Should be "trap it or lose it!" All it takes is a minimum quota system which is easily verifiable through mandatory annual reports that match fur sold through the auction houses. Works elsewhere and easy to impliment.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:24 AM

like all things in life, if your waiting for the government to solve your problem/problems your going to be waiting along long time.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
There is little doubt that there are many who like the system as is so they can continue to abuse it. Unfortunately it is at the expense of those who are "REAL TRAPPERS" who can not afford to purchase trapline assetts at the elevated prices many are asking for their lines. This will eventually lead the the abolition of the RFMA system and all cabins will be illegal. Maybe some of those who have traplines and do not trap but have built an "expensive cottage or hunt camp" should consider this. Their little dream will be valueless and rightfully so! Should be "trap it or lose it!" All it takes is a minimum quota system which is easily verifiable through mandatory annual reports that match fur sold through the auction houses. Works elsewhere and easy to impliment.
I couldn't agree more with you!!!! But like braggadoe says it's in the hands of our gov which makes it a s**tty deal. I too feel that one day it will change but you wasting your time on here there is only a couple people that talk about it and they believe it will stay this way forever. I hope it does change then maybe we will get some REAL trappers back in this world.