Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-25-2011, 04:12 PM
Banned

Default how does a trapline work... land wise??

just curious as to how the land is divied for a trapline... is it an actual straight line in the bush ? is it a certain square amount of acres? how are the boundries of a trapline defined?
Old 10-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by exitwound View Post
just curious as to how the land is divied for a trapline... is it an actual straight line in the bush ? is it a certain square amount of acres? how are the boundries of a trapline defined?
I'm not sure if it applies to the whole province, but up here traplines started out as foot trails, wagon trails or waterways. One would set traps along a particular route and then register that LINE as his trap line for the season.

This lead to some very unfortunate arguments so, under pressure to eliminate disputes, the government sectioned off areas based on where people had trapped in the past. Basically they followed the trails ext that were used, with some added landmass on either side, most of the time, as a buffer.
This system resulted in rather interesting boundary lines, some following topographical features, other boundaries followed surveyed lines for part or all of their length.
For instance, my trapline follows the Peace River for one boundary, then moves inland for three miles, then turns 90% for one mile, then runs 6 more miles in the same direction. The other two boundary are similar to the second one.

My brother's trap line had no natural or man made travel routes on it so it wound up with more or less straight boundaries. It was in fact, an area between existing lines that no one trapped, back in the early days. Such areas were later designated as trap lines as demand for trapping rights increased with the influx of settlers.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:06 AM
Banned

very well answered... thanks for taking the time and doing so... i always wondered and now i know