Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-17-2011, 01:20 PM

Default TPAs Owned by Fish & Wildlife

I'm in the middle of processing some new data files at work, and I've just noticed something that I thought was interesting: a bunch of TPAs now show as being owned by "Edmonton Office-Fish and Wildlife." The TPAs in question are: 1996, 295, 192, 292, 2335, 2241, 2871, 2826, 1413, 932, 1728, 2288, 1009, & 452 (sorry, I know they're out of order).

I'm simply curious as to what this means (I have never noticed this before): have the trapping licenses been sold back to the province, have they been seized, have the boundaries been redrawn and new TPAs created, or . . . ? It seems weird to me: especially since I know there are people who would really like the opportunity to have a license, but don't want to sell their first born to do it.

thx

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:02 PM
Banned

Phone the Fish and Wildlife Office Edmonton.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:41 PM

I do believe those are vacant lines if i was looking for a line
i would be inquiring about them asap fish and wildlife have a way of not giving out more info then they have to
Old 10-18-2011, 07:18 AM

From what i know of it and i could be wrong, they are lines that were were not past on or taken over by anyone and the gov has not allowed them to go back out. One of the reasons why some want the DAO. The way it was told to me was the gov doesn't want RFMA's they would rather treat it like the states where anyone can just buy a license and go trap on public land! Will this ever happen??? but your right there are many peole who would love the chance to have a line without having to sell the house to do it.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainMusic View Post
From what i know of it and i could be wrong, they are lines that were were not past on or taken over by anyone and the gov has not allowed them to go back out. One of the reasons why some want the DAO. The way it was told to me was the gov doesn't want RFMA's they would rather treat it like the states where anyone can just buy a license and go trap on public land! Will this ever happen??? but your right there are many peole who would love the chance to have a line without having to sell the house to do it.

Like I said above. Phone and see if you get an answer from SRD. All the speculation on no RFMA's etc. is just rhetoric and has no factual basis.

You are right about ONE thing, there are people who would like to get a line just as there are people who would like to have sheep, elk etc. permits and be an outfitter.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainMusic View Post
One of the reasons why some want the DAO. The way it was told to me was the gov doesn't want RFMA's they would rather treat it like the states where anyone can just buy a license and go trap on public land! Will this ever happen???
The sky is falling .....again
Old 10-19-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
The sky is falling .....again
Well i'm not here to argue one way or the other,i dont know enough about it to say. i am lucky enough to be trapping on a line. But i do know this if the sky ever did fall there would be some grown men crying that people are trapping on "their" line. Guarding the cabin with shotguns.. lol Just talk to some people on the other fourms about what it is like down south or even some places in eastern canada, they all wish they had a system like ours. I like the current system it just needs to be enforced, rich buying for vacation homes or companies buying and no one trapping it that is what ****es me off.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:35 PM

Just saving some people some time on some of this. Most of the traplines metioned above are not vacant they are bought out by industry or farmland or have been consolidated with other lines, trappers on them....ect I didnt call on all of them but seems like they all have the same type of story. But here is what i came up with to save some people the effort 2241 + 1728 Hinton not vacant. 2335+2288+1009 Fort Vermillion not Vacant, 2871 Athabasca trapper trapping it, 2826 Ft. Mac didnt call, 1996 Canmore no anwser. If it sounds to good to be true it is