Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-07-2011, 03:56 PM

Exclamation When and where for first Calgary meeting??

Hi there!
I have now, with the exception of 5 or so names, called everyone on the ATA lists for Calgary and Coleman. There were a lot of numbers that were not in service or wrong, so I could not contact those people, obviously. I also left a lot of messages but I am only calling once, so it is up to them to call me back! I have a list of nearly 50 names that are interested in starting up this chapter. This includes those that contacted me via this forum. Out of these, nearly half are from the immediate Calgary area. About 9 are from the deep south and southeast, and about 15 are within an hour of Calgary.
Some input as to a fair location for the first organizational meeting is now needed. Also, when would be a good time to have it? Obviously it has to a weekend, likely a Saturday. Unless someone has a huge house that they want to offer for this, we likely have to find a small place to rent, or a decent size private room at a restaurant may also work.
Also, it has been suggested that we see if someone from the Sundre or Rocky locals would like to come down and help with the first meeting, leaving the ATA brass out of it. Opinions on this suggestion would also be appreciated. My hubby says we do not need any help from anyone! The first meeting would see the election of the executive and the collection of memberships, I assume. Jason (wolfcrazy to you) from the Peace River local has been kind enough to offer some suggestions, such as having 50/50 draws to raise money, saying that the ATA provided some stuff for the draws at the first few meetings.
Let's get a move on with this as it would be nice to get this off the ground before the weather turns! Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! We are heading down to Waterton till next Wednesday.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 10-07-2011, 06:14 PM

I have use of our union hall DT Calgary . I would also drive south to Okotoks.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:58 PM

I could check and see what is available in Okotoks...High River may be even better as it is on Highway 2, and only 10 minutes further south. I can check into that too.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 10-08-2011, 05:28 AM
Banned

Langdon field house! There cheap!
Old 10-09-2011, 04:04 PM
Banned

There are lots of things to consider when setting up ANY organization. Bylaws, whether you want to have your own Society which allows application to the Gaming police to have raffles etc.., proper documentation for elections, motions, membership...it is alot of work to be done properly and legally.

I would suggest you involve someone that has actually set up a Local or Society to help you. Then it will be done as correctly as possible.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:13 PM

I have just sent a request to the ATA for someone to come down to the first meeting. I have also done some checking into a possible location, specifically the Memorial Centre in High River. Turns out they have a lot of smaller rooms that can be rented at a reasonable cost and I think the south guys would be willing to travel there and it is close to Calgary also...I see a lot of people have read this thread but are not saying anything which is a bit surprising. If anyone from one of the other locals is reading this, I am wondering how much you charge to join your locals?

Old 10-15-2011, 08:09 AM

I am hoping that when we have our meeting that the attendees will all share in the costs. The rent looks like about $115.00 and we need to have a few eats and drinks, and renting a big coffee urn is $30.00. I am still looking at the Memorial Centre in High River as it is a good location, lots of parking on a Sunday...I am looking at October 30th or November 6th, before the weather starts to be an issue. At least one zone director will come down from Edmonton. Comments would really be appreciated, you guys! Otherwise, no complaints later!

Old 10-16-2011, 04:39 PM

It is looking like the meeting will be Sunday, October 30th, in High River, likely at the Super 8 hotel which is really easy to find, as soon as you come into town off Highway 2. We can get a half day rate for $65.00 which includes coffee and tea. Likely we will start about 1 p.m. so we don't have to worry about lunch. This date works for the two Zone Directors who are coming down from Edmonton. WE do not want to have it too late because November is pushing it as far as the weather goes. I will finalize the details here and call everyone who expressed interest next week.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:46 PM

Thanks Molly (Kelly) for all your hard work.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:41 PM

OK. The meeting will be on Sunday, October 30th at 1 p.m. at the Super 8 Hotel in High River. We have the room for 4 hours which should be plenty of time. Anne Coles and Bill Abercrombie, our Zone Directors, will be coming down from Edmonton to help.There will be coffee and tea provided by the hotel, and we will pick up some sweet stuff at Costco. I understand November 1st is opening day and some of you may be heading out to your hunting camps, but hopefully we still will get a decent turnout! I understand also that this location will not suit everyone but it should suit most. Please PM me if you are planning to attend. Thanks.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:54 AM

Just a reminder that you should think of people who you want to run as president and secretary, or running yourselves. Also, we will be asking for volunteers who want to devote some spare time to helping with events, etc...Thanks!