Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-03-2011, 01:40 PM

Default fox trapping tips

could any one post some pics on sets for fox or tell me what sets and bait they use for fox.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:57 AM

For fox like any canine a dirt hole set is always a good option. Also snareing can be down right deadly if you have the right circumstances. Bait and lure differs greatly from one trapper to another. If you want lots of detailed information go to trapperman.com. The home page has a section just showing different sets and the forums are chalk full of info.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Gone Hunting

Yup, I would use a dirt hole set for the early part of the season, especially down south. If you are in the NWT as your name suggests, setting the sandbars is an old trick that still works, and late into the fall too.

For bait, my favourite for Fox and Coyote is ripe Beaver meat.
I cut fresh beaver meat into 1 to 2 inch chunks, place in a plastic pail, put a lid on it, punch some small holes in the lid, then bury it and leave it for a month or more. One piece of that in a dirt hole will get any Fox or Coyote sniffing around.

Just remember, it is ripe. Very ripe. Best to get used to the smell a little at a time. Too much too soon could have rather unpleasant results, for your supper.

This is the general idea. Each set will be slightly different, so experiment, make it your own.

The idea is, a hole with bait in the bottom, a trap in front of the hole and some sort of backing behind the hole. The backing is to encourage the Fox/Coyote to approach from the trap side. Try to use something already there.
I don't use stakes. Instead I use a drag. A 6 inch by six foot log will do if it's good and sound. It will also work as a backing if there is bush close by to make it look natural. Or you can cover it with leaf litter or straw, whatever is handy.
Sometimes I use a hook drag. I make them out of 1/2 rebar, like back to back fish hooks. With a hook drag I use a longer chain. 5 to 10 feet.
I have used stakes, they work, but I prefer drags.