Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-17-2007, 05:01 PM
sheephunter

Default Lightweight .270WSM

Going on a backpack Dall sheep hunt in '08....well at least that's my excuse for buying a new rifle, and I want to take a new .270WSM with me. Looking at factory rifles only that are under 5 1/2 pounds bare....give me your favourites and why.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:10 PM

Published weights TJ or actual weights?
I cant surf any manufs. sights at work so I'll sit this one by, for now.
But I'll guess the T3 lite, and even a Savage will be light but that light is a bit of a tall order.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-17-2007, 05:11 PM
sheephunter

I'll settle for published. There are definitely a few options..... just interested what the thoughts are out there....good and bad.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:34 PM

Are there even any that light? I would give the T3 Lite a serious look, Kimber I would run screaming the other way.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:45 PM
sheephunter

Think there's a few..Browning makes one...think Remington and Tikka are in that range too.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:31 PM

Browning A-Bolt Mountain Ti - 5lbs 8ozs
Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker - 6lbs 6ozs
Remington Model 700 Alaskin Ti - 6lbs
Tikka T3 Lite stainless - 6 3/8lbs
Savage Weather Warrior Series - 6 3/4lbs
Sako Finnlight Model 85 - 6 3/8lbs
Old 09-17-2007, 08:00 PM

The Browning's are garbage and the Rem AK Ti is way too expensive. If I was to pay that much money for a rifle, I'd do it a different way. It is nice though, and it sure is light.

I'm shooting a Sako 85 Finnlight in .300 WSM right now and couldn't be happier... But your 5.5 lb weight class, I don't think is attainable from a factory rifle. Never weighed the Sako, but it's light enough that I don't notice it on my pack, on the steep stuff and it shoots like a dream.

The Kimber Montana is close, and I've heard that quality is improving somewhat with them- so you might want to check one out and see if you like it. Just don't try bending it over your knee to load it, it's a bolt action, and no musket barrels are available as an option.

The M70 featherweight is also very close and is another real nice rifle, but due to the status if the company, this rifle is not widely availabe anymore so it would take a bit of time at the laptop to track one down.

The T3 is nice and light, but it's a standard length action, and I've never been satisfied with the scope mounting systems that are available for it.

I too will be hunting white sheep in the near future, most likely in the Brooks, and will be taking my Finnlight.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:08 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
The Browning's are garbage
Just curious why you say that. Hunted with a very experienced sheep guide last week and that's what he was using. I don't have much experience with them but he was happy with it. At 5lbs 8oz...it sure is appealing.

Quote:
Just don't try bending it over your knee to load it, it's a bolt action, and no musket barrels are available as an option.
Actually looking for a bolt action. Wouldn't both with the WSM otherwise.

Shot the Remington and was impressed but it does set you back a few $$$$ for sure. Right now the Remington is in the lead but do need to check a few others out including the Sako. I've got a 7mm STW in a Sako and it's a shooter for sure.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:14 PM

I too know of a few very experienced hunters who swear by their Abolts... I personally can't stand them. They dont fit me, the action fells like crap when the bolt is open, and the triggers cant be adjusted to what I like.

The rifle I am most familiar with is the m700, and any time I pick up a Browning it just feels awkward.

You can't go wrong with the Sako 85, or 75.

If it comes down to the Abolt Ti (and it's gay looking camo BC stock), Rem Ti, Montana or Finnlight I'd go with the Montana, just cause I already have a Finnlight and some lightweight M700 stuff. True the AK Ti is nice, but like I said, for that much money, me and my gunsmith can put together something better. The options are limitless with the Rem action, why settle for what Remmy wants you to have?

Kimber Montana .270 WSM $1399.99
Cat. No. 427731 at S.I.R.

Last edited by ABDUKNUT; 09-17-2007 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:15 PM

Default 270 wsm

How about a Kimber Montana (model8400WSM) 6lbs. 3oz.
about $1500.00
Old 09-17-2007, 09:10 PM

Factory rifle that weighs under 5.5lbs? Tall order for sure; dont think this beast exists.

Since you have a year why don't you built something, this way you are [I]almost[I] guaranteed to have a gun that shoots and you will get exactly what you want. Borden action, mcmillan edge stock, christensen arms 24"carbon barrel, jewell trigger. This combo should be sub. 6 lbs. I would sacrifice the minimal weight savings and go with a conventional barrel as I have not heard much good about the carbon barrels.
Do yourself a favor and chamber it in 7mm-08 as it will feed properly through a short action, and a WSM in any caliber in an ultralight gun will have a hell of a kick, not to mention the bullet stuffed into the powder colum to get it to 2.8".
I just built a 7mm-08 on a trued remington action, mcmillan stock, jewell trigger, Custom hand lapped barrel, VXIII 2.5-8 with Talley rings. No where near 5.5 lbs, as it tips the scales at 8 lbs with the scope and 4 in the mag. Spits out a 140 grain TSX at 2950 fps and shoots consistently in the .4's. I was out at the range the other day and the biggest 3 shot group it shot at 300 yards was still under 2". Unless you get very lucky a factory gun will simply not do this. I don't know if you have ever gone the custom or semi-custom route, but I have 4 of them and cannot imagine just buying a facory gun and shooting it hoping it performs.

No doubt you don't need a gun that shoots like this to kill a Dall sheep, but it sure feels good when you know it does!
Old 09-17-2007, 09:17 PM
sheephunter

Looking for something with more speed than the 7mm08. Not that it's not a great calibre but just not what I'm looking for in this rifle. The factory rifle is a requirement. If I was building no doubt I'd go with Corlane but not this time.

DUK, I agree with your comments on the Browning stock. WTH were they thinking? Kimber really doesn't interest me until they get a few more production issues figured out.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:19 PM
Banned

Last edited by Mintaka; 12-29-2008 at 04:28 AM.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:24 PM
sheephunter

Ya, there have been a few advancements since old Jack's day. Guess I might have to put the cap at 6.5 pounds but the 5.5 pounds of the Browning sure seems nice!
Old 09-17-2007, 09:37 PM

The difference between a 7mm-08 shooting 140's and a .270 WSM shooting 130's is about 1" difference in drop at 400 yards. Shoot the 120 grain TSX out of the '08 and I believe the trajectory would be the same.

I am sure you are aware of this, but I came very close to going the same route with a WSM and ended up with a simply boring 7mm-08 that has very little recoil and shoots lights out.

With your requirement of a factory gun and a WSM I would shop around for a used Remington titanium mountain riflre in .270 win, have the action trued and barrel set back and re-chambered as a WSM. With the long action you could get the maximum out of the WSM and still be at 6 lbs.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:05 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
The difference between a 7mm-08 shooting 140's and a .270 WSM shooting 130's is about 1" difference in drop at 400 yards.
With factory loads zeroed at 200 yards the difference is 7 inches.

Quote:
With your requirement of a factory gun and a WSM I would shop around for a used Remington titanium mountain riflre in .270 win, have the action trued and barrel set back and re-chambered as a WSM. With the long action you could get the maximum out of the WSM and still be at 6 lbs.
Why would I want a long action..the idea is to reduce weight. Why not just buy a WSM to start with? I think it would likely be a lot cheaper in the long run and I'd end up with same or better results would I not.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:25 PM

I ran the numbers with the .277 130TSX doing 3300, and the .284 140TSX doing 2950.
5" difference at 400 with a 200 yard zero, and 3" difference at 400 with a 300 yard zero. I was surprised at the BC of the 130 grain .277 TSX it is .413, impressive!

I have had some crappy luck with factory guns not shooting, and throw in that I am a lefty I have basically no selection of factory fodder in a lightweight/mountain rifle platform. When I go the semi-custom route I get exacly what I want, and It shoots! Flimsy stocks, 5 pound triggers and more than 1 MOA seem to be the norm with most factory guns under 1k.

I just assumed you hand load, but with the disclaimer of a factory round and a short action you cannot beat 3300 fps with a 130 grain pill.

Last edited by LongDraw; 09-17-2007 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:35 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
It is not just of my opinion that the WSM's are over-rated out of a SA and to get the true benefit should be fed through a long action, hence my suggestion of the long action.
Other than possibly helping the feeding problems associated with some of the short mag rifles....what other benefit does a long-action give you with a short-action cartridge in the case of the .270WSM?

And truthfully it's all a moot point as my criteria for this gun is a factory rifle in 270 WSM. That much I've decided.

Last edited by sheephunter; 09-17-2007 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:11 PM

Especially with the heavy bullets but not just limited them, the WSM case is designed to feed through a short action. No bullet with an OAL longer than 2.8" will feed through the short action and eject a live round. (there are some fixes to this, but requires modification to the mag box and feed ramp, and maybe gains you .15") To get to the 2.8" OAL the bullet has to be stuffed so far down into the case that it uses up alot of case capacity, especially with the longer, heavier bullet. (not as much as a problem with the 270WSM shooting 130's)The reason I personally shoot a Magnum cartridge is to push a heavier bullet faster, not a light bullet faster. I also shoot a plain ole' 7mm rem. mag, pushing a 175 grain bullet at 3000 FPS. I punch paper out to 1k with this gun. There is no way that the 7mm WSM can do this out of a short action (2.8" OAL) and eject a live round with a 175, or a 168 for that matter. With that long 175 jammed so far down into the case of the WSM you simply cannot get enough powder in the case to have the same performance as the 7mm Remington Mag, the same goes for the 300 WSM vs the 300 Win Mag with bullets 180 grains+.

I agree, out of all of the short mags, the 270WSM has the best potential out of the short action calibers, shot out of a short action.

Last edited by LongDraw; 09-17-2007 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:21 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
The reason I personally shoot a Magnum cartridge is to push a heavier bullet faster, not a light bullet faster.
In the case of this rifle....a 130 or 140 grain bullet is all I need and yes, I want it to go fast!

Quote:
I agree, out of all of the short mags, the 270WSM has the best potential out of the short action calibers, shot out of a short action.
Exactly and hence my choice!
Old 09-17-2007, 11:34 PM

Saw a guy at the range shooting the Ultralight Browning I believe you are making reference to in the 270 WSM, this gun was amazingly accurate for such a light gun, although he was shooting handloads. It had a film dipped camo stock with a stainless action and barrel, whippiest barrel I have ever seen, but it did shoot!
Old 09-17-2007, 11:45 PM
sheephunter

Ya, that stock doesn't do much for me but I've heard great things about the rifle. I'd be happy if they offered it in plain old black. Not really sure of the point of a camo sheep gun. Not many trees to hide amoungst where sheep live most often.

Last edited by sheephunter; 09-18-2007 at 12:07 AM.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:03 AM

Default Lightest rifle

Sheep we had some H S Precision rifles at P&D a while back and they do make the gun you are looking for in a very light weight model, right around 5lbs. They are however, considerably more expensive than the browning product. FS
Old 09-18-2007, 07:50 AM
sheephunter

Hmmmm...that was a brand I hadn't thought of. Did you get any feedback on them FS?
Old 09-18-2007, 11:57 AM

I had a Kimber and had an issue with it...contacted Kimber directly and they told me that they do not honor their warranty in Canada, and that I was on my own to repair it. My issue was with a safety, when you flicked it off the gun fired...so it was a serious one.

So long story short do not buy Kimber.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:08 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
My issue was with a safety, when you flicked it off the gun fired...so it was a serious one.
Ya, I'd definitely say that was a serious issue. The Kimber is a nice looking and feeling rifle but yours isn't the first case I've heard of with serious issues and after your experience with customer service, it certainly does make one leary of them.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:33 PM

I tried to work it out with them, offered to get it fixed if they would re-emburse me when I sent them the reciepts or they could arrange a smith to fix it...the answer was a definitely no, they would not work with me on it.

Needless to say I sold it as soon as I had it fixed and cancelled the order I had for a second Kimber.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:44 PM

Sorry about your luck with the Kimber... I've heard the same bad luck scenario a few times, which is why I've yet to get ahold of one... They are really, really nice... Hopefully they get their production sorted out because he way I see it there's not really a whole lot to choose from in today's market.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:30 PM
Banned

Last edited by Mintaka; 12-29-2008 at 04:26 AM.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:46 PM

Depending on what your $$ limit was.

for Factory rifles inn order my 1st choice would be
-Kimber ( I know you said you were'nt that interested, but for a little cash on the side, you could have these issues resolved....which seems to be almost standard protocal nowadays with any Factory Rifle)
-Remington TI not the Alaskan (if you could find one)
-HS-Precision, I think they run about $2500 US.
though.
-Browning

Thats about it, but I have a few "Custom" jobs that were a heck of alot cheaper to get done than one would think. Your lucky your RH, with the amount of used Rems out there thats the route I would likely go.
-Rem doner $450 (sell the Wood & bbl. & maybe make about $200 back)
-Bansner Hi-Tech $190 (I can get them @ cost if you like)
-bbl. a few hundred (I have a new .284cal. 1-9.5 Pac-Nor kickin' around, (featherweight config.) I may let it go if your interested)
-Paint it yourself for about $30
-Metal finish $150 or so
-Pillar or Glass bed another $100 or so
-Skeletonize Bolt Handle / Mill Bolt Knob $75.00
-Flute Bolt Body $75.00
-Install recoil pad including pad $90.00
add a little miscellaneous work for $100 or so and presto.....a Rifle that sheep picks everything on, will be as accurate as he can shoot, chambered in what he wants, and looks how he wants it to look all for +/- $1500.00 (not including the money you could make back on the parts from the doner).

Pretty reasonable IMO for what you get. Considering the cost of say a Browning Stainless Stalker.