Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-23-2008, 11:46 PM
Banned

Default Scope alignment problem

Hello all...

I have just mounted an older Leupold 2x7 scope on a new Savage Model 116 chambered in 270 using Weaver aluminum bases and Burris steel rings. The problem is that even when the point of aim for the reticle is fully adjusted to the left, the point of impact at 100 yards is still approximately 12 to 16 inches left of the point of aim. When looking through the bore, and then raising the eye up to the scope, there seems to be some misalignment (ie the scope is skewed to the right). Given the nature of the pre-tapped mount holes, the mounts and rings designed for this rifle, one would not expect that the rings or mounts would be that far out... I should also mention that the scope has just come back from the Leupold service depot where it was serviced, refurbished, and checked... I doubt the problem is with the scope... Any advice?

Best regards

Capthook
Old 08-24-2008, 05:49 AM

Default scope

try using leupold base the have windage adjusment built into the rear ring
Old 08-24-2008, 06:41 AM

or , seeing how you are using Weaver bases, you can try a set of Millet rings that can be adjusted for center with both the front and back rings.
These have save me a lot of hassle over the years ....
Cat
Old 08-24-2008, 07:36 AM
Gone Hunting

If all else fails, you may have to shim where your rings mount to the bases. Just use small cut strips of thin tin or aluminum. I guess that depends on what you have for rings and bases though. I dont know if that is a proper cure or not, but it will do the job.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 08-24-2008, 08:48 AM

Short of getting rid of the rifle (my solution), get steel weaver style bases from burris, and use burris signature rings with the inserts. Find the offset that works and go with that.

I'm no fan of Millet rings or the Redfield type mounting system.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:22 AM
Banned

I agree with Chuck, the situation should be resolved with the Burris Sigs and I have had good luck with them.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:06 AM

I once had a set of rings that were drilled off center just a bit. Played with them quite a while and only resolved it when I changed out the rings.

I would start with the bases and work up. Check them to see if they are aligned with the bore this will tell you is it is tapped properly, then flip them around to see if it's the bases. then check the rings. Try them, then flip them to see if the problem is reversed. I doubt it's with the scope. I've been there, it can be a bit frustrating, Good luck.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:39 AM

The problem is Savage. This year in particular, there have been numerous machining errors in the factory. Holes for scope bases have been drilled and tapped, well off of centre. Bring the rifle back to the shop where you purchased it.

I too had the same problem with a rimfire.