Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-19-2008, 11:14 PM

Default Kimber Montana Rifles

I want lots of input.

Until today, I thought I had settled on an H-S PHL in 270WSM. I had a Kimber in my hands this afternoon. It felt good and the price is $2000 less than the H-S. All the literature I have seen states, "... match grade construction tolerances ...," in reference to the barrel and action.

Through the grapvine; and especially so from one of my buddies, I have heard more bad than good about the Kimber rifles. Most concerning is parts failure.

I want to hear from those of you that either currently use and enjoy a Kimber or those of you that tossed the Kimber and went back to Remington, Browning or Winchester.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:51 PM

Mintaka had the kimber 270win and traded back to a remington. He didn't like it . You should PM him he could tell you more about it.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:05 AM

I've had a 22-250 Kimber since 2003. Nicest rifle I own. Both my coyote load and reduced load shoot 1/2 inch or smaller 3 shot groups. I found that when mine was new, everything was very stiff and tight. Over time, it has smoothed up a lot. My favorite rifle.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:57 AM

Get the HS!
Old 06-20-2008, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
I want lots of input.

Until today, I thought I had settled on an H-S PHL in 270WSM. I had a Kimber in my hands this afternoon. It felt good and the price is $2000 less than the H-S. All the literature I have seen states, "... match grade construction tolerances ...," in reference to the barrel and action.
Advertising can be deceiving, they claim match grade tolerances in their brochure then state their barrel tolerances can be up to .001" variation. Thats not match grade. My 84M out of the box shot average groups of 2"-4" @100yds. It had a few stock inletting problems, after relieving and enlarging the pillars so the action screws were not bound, rebedded, barrel channel opened up and magazine filed down .006" so bottom metal was not bending when the screws were tightened preventing the floorplate from latching when closed and causing the receiver to be under stress. Add a re-crown and it shoots about 1"-2" groups now. When you call Kimber they will tell you 2" groups are acceptable for their rifles and they will tell you they have no authorized service center in Canada so your basically on your own if you have problems. Mine has a good trigger, easily adjustable, crisp and clean and feeds rounds acceptably, I love the way it handles and carries but it is one of the poorer shooting rifles I own.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:20 AM

It's easy to see I will stick with my Remingtons and treat myself to an H-S.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:21 AM
Gone Hunting

One good review and two pooper reviews and you have your mind made up?

If you ask about remingtons you will get good and bad reviews. Or Winchester or Sako or...

I have no experience with Kimber rifles but Do like the looks of them and like what I have heard about them so far.

I guess it may boil down to what is the most important feature. Carrying a rifle all over a mountain to get a shot at a big ram at 150 yards, you may think a rifle a couple pounds lighter that only shoots 2" groups is a great thing.
If you want to knock off ground squirrels at 300 yards you will go for a heavy ugly gun that is a "tack driver".

Sometimes you get get the best of both in a rifle and sometimes not.

Robin in Rocky
Old 06-20-2008, 12:57 PM

You will find people who have had bad experiences with Kimbers are more vocal than most.

Recently, I know of people who have had severe problems with a Marlin 44 and a Remington. Treatment from Marlin was the same as the one gent says Kimber treated him.

Two inches has long been considered reasonable expectations for grouping from a thin barreled 7 lb mountain rifle. Why is it disappointing that a 5.5 lb rifle gets that?

I will submit that more Kimbers group well than not, especially compared to other brands and their light weight thin barreled rifles, and the Kimber will weigh 1.5-2 lbs less than the other brands. Which would you like to be packing up the mountain?
Old 06-20-2008, 01:13 PM

I have never owned a Kimber in any flavor but the ones I have seen and shouldered impressed me. Having said that, I have read numerous concerns about them on various boards in the US. That is not sceintific though....mearly the opinion of one. I have also heard negative feedback on H-S as well...this time from a local shop. Also hear it regularly about Remington but after buying dozens of them over the years, I never had any issues. I wouldn't pay that kind of money for a rifle that these top tier rifles cost (H-S, Kimber, etc). If I was going to spend $3000-4000 on a rifle, I'd get one custom made.

I feel if one buys one of the upper end Remington models in that $1000-1200 price range, they will have an excellent firearm that will shoot extremely well. One can get a Remington 700 XCR Tactical for long range hunting or target use that will print single hole groups, an XR-100 single shot target rifle that is a superb rifle for the dollar, a 700 varmint VS SF II, etc. etc. Then put some cash into an excellent scope. Far too often when I am at the range or at a gun shop, I see people with expensive rifles and they mount a run of the mill Bushnell on top! I don't get that. An excellent scope can make a huge difference in group size and it doesn't hurt the shooting enjoyment factor either. Might not please the wife though.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:17 PM

Smile

Never having owned a Kimber i cant voice an opionon on them.I do however have several Remingtons one fro the custom shop,a 700 kevlar stocked mountain rifle in 7mm rem mag, it weighs in around 6.5/6.75 lbs.
With a 3 x 9 Swaro it will litterly tear one ragged hole with bullett wieghts from 140 to 162. The other is a rem mountain rifle in 280 it shoots the same as the above. Both of these are a fine compromise on wieght versus recoil,both are nicely balanced and carry/point nice. Before I tried other brands I would be tempted to try one of these.
Good luck with whatever firearm you purchase
Old 06-20-2008, 09:48 PM

I have always been a Remington fan. So far I have 2 cabinets, full of nothing by Rem 700s. Sporters and heavy barrels but I wanted to put a nice lightweight together but in the 270WSM. If Remington turned out the 700 Mountain LSS in 270WSM, my search would be over. I looked into the custom idea, but the 1MOA or less was not guaranteed. The last thing I want is a short barreled paperweight that is capable of 5 inch groups at 100 metres and be out $4000.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:03 PM
Banned

Last edited by Mintaka; 12-29-2008 at 06:47 AM.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:19 AM

I was flip flopping between a Kimber and a Cooper, and last summer I bought a Cooper. I love it. She shoots great. Factory guarantee of 3 shot ½” groups. The only bad thing is the 6 month wait while they make it.

I just ordered another one from a guy on this site…

Just something else for you to consider.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:34 AM

Sako
Old 06-21-2008, 07:31 AM

Default Kimber

A good friend and hunting partner has a Montana in 338WM that is very, very accurate with the right handloads. Freakishly accurate actually......... if a guy can manage it, I can hardly keep it under 2" personally.

Still, they don't call it 'Kimber roulette' for nothing........... if they ever make a LH version I'll be taking my chances on a Montana in 708.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:13 PM

Thanks all. Keep the info coming. Although I liked the look and feel of the lightweight Monatana, quite a few shooters have dropped me private messages, mostly similar complaints about mechanical failures.

I still have H-S on the brain, but thinking more on the 700 Ti or a custom job. I am quite skeptical of the custom shop, but I have heard good things about Corlane's/RMR.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:43 PM

If you are wanting to spend that kind of money you should look at the Sako 85 Finnlite. The Sako has the nicest action by far, smooth and very accurate rifles. I have had Remington, then Kimber and now the Sako and it's here to stay. I had problems with my Kimber as well, and will never own another.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:10 PM

I have a Kimber Montana in 300wsm. I must be the only guy in Alberta that likes them, mind you I have only shot between 3000 and 4000 rounds through it in the last 3 years. It is light, carries well, shoots as well as I can and have had no problems with it. I am not really obsessed with 1 inch or 1/2 inch groups, if I can hit a soft ball everytime out to 300 yards I am happy, what ever that translates into. I figure it means a dead sheep. I shoot either the 180 or 200 grain accubonds and they seem to work well for me.

I am currently loooking to get another in 7-08 for the wife and am contemplating one in 7wsm just because. Certainely not scared of them so far.

Terry
Old 06-22-2008, 08:06 AM

Out of 17 replies to your question 5 of them had anything to do with actually owning a Kimber and or shooting one.
Hmmm.
Of the 5 related replies, 3 were negative, 1 was positive, and the 5th was middle of the road.
All one has to do is go to some of the bigger forums stateside and do a search under Kimber, to note that from all appearances they have some sort of Quality Control problem.

There are no absolutes
Old 06-22-2008, 08:17 AM

A friend up here has one in 308 and really likes it.
He shoots it regularly, and has had no problems with it.
I remember however, on a different forum a few years back ,
that the warranty/service/PR department was lacking terribly .
I think that stemmed from the person at the desk however, not the factory.
Dick284 was a member of that site ( shortmags) and there was a very lengthy discussion on it.
They may have changed in the last few uears, but from what I can recall, the service blew chunks....
Cat
Old 06-22-2008, 09:24 AM

I appreciate all the feedback rolling in. Thanks all.

I am now leaning towards the 700 Ti. I know the Remington action and it's solid. I have a locker full of them already. Even my Handler is wanting to buy me the Ti.

A few shooters have dropped me notes on the Sako Finlight. I have never owned a Sako or even handled one, other than a tactical model while I was in the army. In 30 years of hunting, I have only ever encountered one person hunting with a Sako. From appearance only, they look a bit heavy. No weight reference is included for the WSMs on the Sako site.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:30 AM
Banned

Last edited by Mintaka; 12-29-2008 at 06:46 AM.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
No weight reference is included for the WSMs on the Sako site.
How's this:

http://www.sako.fi/pdf/specs/85Finnlight.pdf

I have a Finnlight in 300 WSM and outside of not using it much yet, IT IS A FINE PIECE OF MACHINE WORK (with a detachable magazine if it matters)!!
Old 06-22-2008, 01:50 PM

Thanks, I already saw this, but there is still no weight reference for the WSM rifles.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:52 PM

Think you should have another look at the link at the bottom under technical Data. It lists the Weight for the SM / M at 6 3/8 lbs - SM are for the 270 & 300 WSM.

Quote:
Thanks, I already saw this, but there is still no weight reference for the WSM rifles.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:18 PM

Default kimber

just bought a rem. model 7 xcr in 300wsm cammo stock, floor plate,stainless fluted barrell 22" weighs 6.5 lbs. had a few bedding issues to straighten out, but now shoots .5 - .75 groups . Love the gun, wanted the 700 Ti but did not like the blind magazine. This gun is also available in 270 wsm. It retails for $1099.00 at WSS. Oh it also has the R-3 pad and X mark trigger. Woth a look. nice gun for the money. A buddy has 2 Kimbers a .325 and 270 wsm both are extremly accurate and trouble free, has had them about a year, I have also shot them and will no doubt buy one before hunting season arives. Hope this helps.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:12 AM

I have a Kimber Montana in 7 mm 08 weights 5.2 pounds and shoots great Had it a year and no problems so far I get about 1.5 inch groups Cost about $1400 as i recall

Gord
Old 06-23-2008, 09:20 PM

Default Tough choice now that you throw the ti into the mix

I played a little kimber roulette and so far it was worth it. Group on left measures exactly .75 inches center to center taken with 300 WSM in a Kimber Montana 8400 at 100 yards, group on right taken with 7mm SAUM Model 700 Ti at 100 yards just over.75 inches center to center. I'd say get the gun that fits the best, the kimber makes you stoop your head over due to the straight stock alot don't like it, the remington has added weight in the barrel area and after a few hunded$ in alterations will weight under 7lbs sling,scope and all, the bell and carlson stock is thick through the hand section but the gun is easy to shoulder. The kimber is less finicky but the rem ti is not nearly as nautious to shoot due to the smaller caliber. I've only seen two kimbers on the range and both shot under 1 inch amazing for such a skinny barrel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_2182 (2).jpg (60.0 KB, 79 views)
Old 06-23-2008, 10:08 PM

Not sure if your into Brownings but here's the other lightweight option:

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...35&type_id=038
Old 06-23-2008, 10:54 PM

I don't sell Kimbers, don't own any either, but have worked on quite a few and have tried to help folks that do own them solve some major issues with a few Kimber rifles.
Kimber seems to have a real roller coaster type of QC going on. Some of the rifles were well made, seemed nicely finished and shot fairly well, some minor bedding and trigger tuning made great shooters out of some. Others however were in my opinion garbage, very poor fit and finish, to down right shoddy workmanship.
Kimbers official position on warranty or parts is send it back to them and they will fix what they see fit. This poses a LARGE problem being as they are in a foreign country. Yes export permits can be worked out, but to not have any sort of repair depot or access to parts, which can fail, in Canada would certainly dissuade me from ever buying 1.
Remington, Sako and most other brands also can have QC issues, make no mistake, but at least you don't have to ship their products to a foreign country for service or parts.

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range