Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2014, 02:05 PM

Default Whiney NHL at Olympic Rant

So before I start, I'm Canadian and believe we should put the best team forward we can at the Olympics but having said that......

I don't think the NHL season should take a break during the Olympics, it is the teams decision to let contracted players go and the players decision to take the opportunity.

So why should the fans go without 3 weeks of hockey?

I think they should play on as if it was not happening and if some teams want to send their best players off, so be it, make due during the absence, think of it as an injury.

I think this would make teams think twice on who goes and maybe they could dip into the farm teams to bring players up for a few weeks, or better still give them the opportunity to represent their country after all they are the up and coming NHL and a team of our prime Canadian youth should be good enough to play at the Olympic level.

Thoughts?
Old 02-09-2014, 02:13 PM

Are you a fan on hockey or the NHL? If you are a fan of hockey, you are about to see the best hockey on the planet. Watch the games. They'll be great
Old 02-09-2014, 02:16 PM

Totally disagree, a lot of these athletes dream of wearing their nations colors at the Olys. What if your favorite teams owner or GM says to a player nope you can't go..how happy do you think that guy will be on your team..and it's world class hockey so it's not like you're missing out on hockey.
I'd be fine if they took professionals out and made it pure amateur again but that's impossible IMO
Old 02-09-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadyaz View Post
Are you a fan on hockey or the NHL? If you are a fan of hockey, you are about to see the best hockey on the planet. Watch the games. They'll be great
I'm with this guy. I'd rather watch Olympic hockey anyday over the nhl. The best the world has to offer playing for pride and glory of thier country, not for money.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:18 PM

I for one would rather forego three weeks of NHL in favor of bringing the absolute best Olympic Team to play for the Gold Medal. Missing a few weeks of NHL hockey every eight years is well worth the opportunity to watch what I consider better hockey at the Olympics.

When one factors in some of these stringent contracts with NHL organizations it may hinder a good old Canadian farm boy from living out his dream of representing his home country at the Olympics.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:21 PM

Every 4 years
Old 02-09-2014, 02:24 PM

Default Hockey fan

I'm a fan of hockey, and I will watch the Olympics as extra hockey, but between those games I want to watch my regular season at the regular times.

I don't think the whole NHL season should be put on hold, they should work around (and through) the Olympics.

And you are quite correct I don't see it going back to amateur either!

I think if they had to continue the season through the Olympics then we would see who REALLY wants the Stanley Cup by the simply seeing who refuses to send their best assets off for three weeks!

The NHL is a business, run it like one and give the paying customers what they want and pay for.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:27 PM

I side with the majority here. Losing three weeks out of a season every four years to watch some even better hockey is not a problem in the least. With that being said: GO CANADA!!!
Old 02-09-2014, 02:49 PM
Banned

Cool

Really lost interest in any event that has lost the intent of the olympics. Amateur athletes, hockey, basketball, just send the people that play for the love of the game. not 10-25million a season have even lost intrest in track and field ,sports I loved growing up even the glorious game of ruggers ruined by pros .
Old 02-09-2014, 03:03 PM

Default Lost Season

Maybe it has been all the lost seasons and shorten schedules due to labor problems that just highlights the missing games more due to the Olympics.

Our NHL seasons have been screwed up way to often lately to let me be a good sport about yet another interruption.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:17 PM

Perfect chance to catch up on Honey Boo Boo
Old 02-09-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
Perfect chance to catch up on Honey Boo Boo
Catch up? Why would you even be behind, it's on for about 7 hours every Thursday.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:43 PM

Olympic Hockey is the crown jewel of the Olympics. The NHL gets exposure and it translates into dollars and sense from the growth in the interest of hockey, but in the end there is huge risks to owners in the NHL. The Olympics don't want to share the gravy train and cite the whole spirit of the games BS. Olympics are big business, and hockey is integral to exposure especially in North America.

My opinion is frankly I'd rather watch a real world championship every four years. A 5-6 game round robin, with a sudden death quarter and semis, and 3 game final. A real world tourney played in North America and Europe. I watch the Olympic hockey, and thats what is available. Too many NHL owners will say the heck with the Olympics because they won't go to the next Nagano or Turin or Lillehammer.

Lastly why is Rick Nash and Carter on the team. Only Canada can afford to leave some of its top players at home.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:05 PM

If that were to happen, it would be like watching the Spengler Cup--Canada would get beat around, because all of our best players would be tied up in North America. Olympic Gold would go the Russians or Czechs every time because they could afford to drag enough solid players from the KHL or Czech elite league.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:19 PM

Default Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
I'm with this guy. I'd rather watch Olympic hockey anyday over the nhl. The best the world has to offer playing for pride and glory of thier country, not for money.
The best playing at the best level of competitive effort, because they are playing for pride and not just "enduring" the season. And, in this case, on the "big ice". Its once every 4 years - the NHL can suck it up. In fact, my own view is that the problem (from an entertainment viewpoint) with NHL hockey is that while the players have become so much bigger, faster, and stronger (compared to the distant past), and we have injected an extra referee, the ice surface has stayed the same size. The skill game is restricted more and more. I think the NHL should legislate that all new arenas have Olympic size surfaces, and that within ___?___ years all NHL ice surfaces be that size (or even bigger?). Do we want to see who is best at "clogging", or who has rounded up the most actual skill?
Old 02-09-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Noel View Post
If that were to happen, it would be like watching the Spengler Cup--Canada would get beat around, because all of our best players would be tied up in North America. Olympic Gold would go the Russians or Czechs every time because they could afford to drag enough solid players from the KHL or Czech elite league.
Totally agree. And if the NHL let their players go to the Olympics without taking a break, Chicago, St. Louis and Detriot would have about 6 players left each....

Last edited by Spidey; 02-09-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:25 PM

Is it because your handle is `Sputnik'? You just want the russians to win
Old 02-09-2014, 04:28 PM

Just think of the fans that pay$$$ to watch games, now the top players are not there. Are they happy about that? Probably not, that's where a lot of revenue comes from. 2 weeks off every 4 years isn't to bad, makes more people watch more of there Canada. IMOP
Old 02-09-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
So before I start, I'm Canadian and believe we should put the best team forward we can at the Olympics but having said that......

I don't think the NHL season should take a break during the Olympics, it is the teams decision to let contracted players go and the players decision to take the opportunity.

So why should the fans go without 3 weeks of hockey?

I think they should play on as if it was not happening and if some teams want to send their best players off, so be it, make due during the absence, think of it as an injury.

I think this would make teams think twice on who goes and maybe they could dip into the farm teams to bring players up for a few weeks, or better still give them the opportunity to represent their country after all they are the up and coming NHL and a team of our prime Canadian youth should be good enough to play at the Olympic level.

Thoughts?

Olympic hockey

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:06 PM

Default Sputnik

BigDad013......good one, but no....I want Canada to win!

I thought of the KHL angle, I know if the NHL players did not play Canada would be somewhat at a disadvantage if the other teams are still stacked.

But if our nation sponsored a real Olympic Hockey team that was formed specifically for the games, properly coached and practiced for 4 years in preparation perhaps it would not matter if the other countries brought their "pros" in.

I really like the idea of the bigger ice.....
Old 02-09-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh View Post
Just think of the fans that pay$$$ to watch games, now the top players are not there. Are they happy about that? Probably not, that's where a lot of revenue comes from. 2 weeks off every 4 years isn't to bad, makes more people watch more of there Canada. IMOP
Every team still plays 41 home and 41 away games. They aren't missing any games. The season is on a 2 week break. Thats it.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
X2...

Just like the juniors during Xmas....This is exciting hockey....

NHL games mid February...Yawn compared to what we are going to see...Yes, we have to wait and I would like to watch Hockey tonight, but anticipation of this week coming up is priceless
Old 02-09-2014, 05:32 PM

I don't care either way. However I am sure a lot of the players not taking part are welcoming the opportunity to spend time with family during the Olympics.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:19 PM

watching the oilers lose all the time is like watching paint dry , i'm glad we get a team to be proud of ,even if its only for a few weeks.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:26 PM

I like the Olympic hockey, it's great to see the best in the world compete. I do not however like the games in the middle of the night. I would almost prefer a World Hockey Championship played in September before the NHL season opens. Have it be played in Canada or the USA every other time. Hold it every 3 years. That's way NHL clubs host their prospects camp and the pros go to the World Championships. The media attention once every six years in a North American market would be awesome.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
I'd be fine if they took professionals out and made it pure amateur again but that's impossible IMO

I agree....

But there really isn't anything amateur about any of the sports any more. Something seems to be missing having the pro's competeing.

Having said that we are in for one hell of a hockey tournement.

LS
Old 02-09-2014, 06:47 PM

I, like most red blooded Canadians, love their hockey.

This NHL break allows me the time to support the amateur level in my community.

The best kept secret lies in the junior leagues as well as at the collegiate level.

In Calgary we have the SAIT Trojans, MRU Cougars and the U of C Dinos. There is not a bad seat in the house and the players fly out there. It is truly good entertainment.
Remember most of these players have played somewhere professionally and have returned to get an education.

As for the juniors, they want to play somewhere professionally......No shortage of effort....No hockey withdrawal here....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:37 PM
Banned

Don't worry Sputnik you'll get your wish if the NHL doesn't commit its players to the 2018 Winter Olympics.

In the mean time no fan of Canadian Hockey complains about a 3 week break from the NHL to watch our top players compete on the biggest hockey stage for a gold medal.

I like the Olympics but everything else is just filler until the Men's gold medal hockey game is played.

Go Canada GO
Old 02-09-2014, 07:55 PM

The Olympics is for amateur athletes, period.

I had more respect for hockey players who had to get a real job when the season ended.

Though having trained a few hockey players at work... saying yes coach for 10-15 years through childhood really gives them the ability to think for themselves and solve problems...

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 02-09-2014, 08:08 PM
Banned

With regards to the NHL....MEH I just dont care.I have not watched a game on TV since the last lockout/strike and I sure as hell wont fork over my har earned money to take in a Flames game LOL.

I do of course support the idea that the best of the best Canadian NHL players be on the Olympic team as I do want and pretty much expect Canada to win the gold medal as it is the national sport(and lacrosse just dont count).

I expect the gold medal for both womens and mens hockey at the Olympics.

FTH