Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-23-2007, 06:16 PM

TJ,the easiest way to make a lightweight mountain rifle is to get a B78 and throw a light contour 22" barrel onto it!
Shorter than any bolt gun, handles nice, and you can get a classy octagon in a number 2 taper from Bits of Pieces!
(Got the flame retartardant suit on just in case !)
Cat
Old 09-23-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
TJ,the easiest way to make a lightweight mountain rifle is to get a B78 and throw a light contour 22" barrel onto it!
Shorter than any bolt gun, handles nice, and you can get a classy octagon in a number 2 taper from Bits of Pieces!
(Got the flame retartardant suit on just in case !)
Cat
Not exactly traditional, but hmmph, I do like the way you think.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-25-2007, 11:48 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
I've got a T3 lite in 270WSM and really like it, I got it fluted and powdercoated (maybe dropped an ounce or two with the fluting), put talley lightweights and a lightweight vxII 3-9X33 on it, and with the sling on it weighs just under 7 lbs. It shoots good and has held up well under some rough hunting over the past year. Would definately recommend one to anyone.
Thanks Rocks. That sounds like an ideal combination. I'm definitely going to check the Tikkas out.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:31 AM

Sheep,

The day before yesterday I purchased a .......Tikka T3 Lite Stainless, in .270 WSM. Off all the gun I looked at and alot were mentioned here I felt that this gun really fit me well and you will not find anyone talk bad about a Tikka. They are a great gun for the value. I will be taking it to the range this weekend to see how it shoots.

Judging how it feels, I think I could shoot anything with it.

On the other hand if ya wnat something to carry I wouldn't mind getting rid of My Remington Sendero in 7mm STW 26" fluted barrel with a 4.5 x 14 x 50 VX111. Only weighs about 10 lbs and will seperate the men from the boy for a long haul!
Haha.

Have fun, and nejoy shopping out a new gun.

Trev
Old 09-26-2007, 10:51 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
On the other hand if ya wnat something to carry I wouldn't mind getting rid of My Remington Sendero in 7mm STW 26" fluted barrel with a 4.5 x 14 x 50 VX111. Only weighs about 10 lbs and will seperate the men from the boy for a long haul!
Haha.
I've already got a 9 pound 7STW and truthfully, I'm happy being one of the boys...LOL
Old 09-26-2007, 11:12 AM

I couldn't agree more, The way I see it, pack out the gun or take the scope off it , bury the gun and pack out the sheep.

Not hard to figure out the answer to this one.

Would be a sad day but a nice burial!

Trev
Old 09-26-2007, 11:24 AM

sheep, did you get the pm?
Old 09-26-2007, 11:47 AM
sheephunter

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but yes I did get the pm and thanks so much for doing the research. It looks like the opinions vary as much as here but overall the Tikka sounds like good value.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:06 AM

So buy one already! I'll bet the Tikka is the hands down winner in your eyes because you are notoriously che,, er, frugal. That and by all acounts they are sweet shooting units!
The 270 WSM is the only short round that interests me. Why? because it actually out performs 270 win. Benefits of a short action can be argued up and down the mountain but a caliber that gets it done a barrel less than 24 inches probably shaves off more weight. But then that does leave out a lot of calibers.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:14 AM
sheephunter

Ya, but now I have to begin the shopping around process to find the best deal.....lol

Not in a big hurry to get it. I'll keep packing the Encore this year but will definitely get on it after show season in the spring. Think I'll see what comes out new at the SHOT Show first.

Ya, it's pretty wel the only WSM that interests me too and truthfully, the biggest reason that I want one is because I don't have one...lol Thank goodness I have that sheep hunt as an excuse to buy it. This will be a dedicated mountain rifle. I still like that STW for my other long-range stuff.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:29 AM
Banned

My buddy got the guy from Canadian Tire Macleod to beat wholesale/russels by at least a 100 bucks on his! Worth a try. I had mine first so got bent over by wholesale...ouch.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:01 PM
Banned

Oh, forgot to mention...i think he used all the canadian tire bucks from the gun to turn around and buy some ammo? Hey Deadnutz...how'd that deal go down again???
Old 09-30-2007, 05:01 PM
Banned

Default nosler 48

What about the Nosler 48? Are they even available in Canada? Pretty pricy at 2600 bucks but I've heard they're pretty good guns thru the hunting magazines. I think David Petzal liked it well enough.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:37 AM
sheephunter

I'll check them out at SHOT Show this year...won't be buying anything before that. I've come across a few others under 6 pounds as well but the frugal side of me keeps going back to the Tikka.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:02 AM

Default lightweight

Ihave the rem model 7 xcr in 300wsm and 270 wsm had some issues with the 300 but both will shoot sub 1" groups 22" stainless fluted barrell realtree cammo stock xmark trigger r3 pad these guns are worth a look 130 tripple shocks just over 3200fps leupold 3x9 lr reticle nice setup.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmfic1 View Post
Thats about it, but I have a few "Custom" jobs that were a heck of alot cheaper to get done than one would think. Your lucky your RH, with the amount of used Rems out there thats the route I would likely go.
-Rem doner $450 (sell the Wood & bbl. & maybe make about $200 back)
-Bansner Hi-Tech $190 (I can get them @ cost if you like)
-bbl. a few hundred (I have a new .284cal. 1-9.5 Pac-Nor kickin' around, (featherweight config.) I may let it go if your interested)
-Paint it yourself for about $30
-Metal finish $150 or so
-Pillar or Glass bed another $100 or so
-Skeletonize Bolt Handle / Mill Bolt Knob $75.00
-Flute Bolt Body $75.00
-Install recoil pad including pad $90.00
add a little miscellaneous work for $100 or so and presto.....a Rifle that sheep picks everything on, will be as accurate as he can shoot, chambered in what he wants, and looks how he wants it to look all for +/- $1500.00 (not including the money you could make back on the parts from the doner).

Pretty reasonable IMO for what you get. Considering the cost of say a Browning Stainless Stalker.

CMFIC1, does the above include trueing the barrel/chamber/action for concentricity, and squaring the bolt face and lugs?
Old 08-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Banned

My choice of what is currently available here in Canada, would be the Sako 85 Finnlight and I have not seen a rifle since the early, WELL MADE Dakotas that I liked as well.

I also just looked over a Weatherby MKV UL and am VERY impressed by the latest examples of this, I kinda want one, but, I need a new Toyota 4x4 a LOT more.

These two rifles are more costly than many production models, but, the quality sure seems to be there and that is important to me. I have examined probably 20 different Kimbers and would not buy one, based on what I have seen, no offence intended to those who like them.

The weight parameter here is the difficult aspect of this and, if you consider a New Ultralight rifle to be a factory model, I do, I would probably choose one in .270WSM...but, they are kinda pricey.

I strongly agree, for longterm mountain hunting with a backpack, it IS possible to do 10 days with 50 lbs. plus rifle and EVERY ounce really counts. I find that a LIGHT rifle IS a huge benefit, especially after the third day and I am ruthless about paring weight as after 40+ years of this, I am not a kid and the heavier gear DOES hold you back and slow you up, a lot.

For carrying your rifle, try a Kifaru Combat Gunbearer, with a long Universal strap for your pack's waistbelt and a "Gun Corral topstrap with an Uncle Mike's Mountain Sling. This is the best system for packing a rifle I have ever found and not too pricey, it will detach and go onto different packs and your rifle is where you need it, but, not in the way.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:51 AM

I am the first to addmit I lack the experiance and knowlage that most of the hunters on this thread appear to have. I dont fully understand why you would want a gun that only ways 5.5 lbs.

I have tried a lot of calabers and I find the target with in two or three shots with most of them, fresh from bore sighting. the one thing I have noticed about my shooting is that with a gun that is too light (less than 6.3/4) my groups get consistantly uncomfotably large at 200 meters (more than 1.5"). Using my dad's .300 ultra Mag. I am able to keep a tight group Less than an inch at 350 meters but the gun weighs in at 7.1/4 without the scope and strap unloaded.

Doesn't any one else find that with a light rifle? Or is it just me?

with my .30-06 I am grouping 1/2" @ 50 yards & and can keep it under 1" at 200 yards when I focus. (3 shot groups).
Old 08-23-2008, 12:06 PM

Default Light weight rifles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABDUKNUT View Post
The Browning's are garbage
I have been shooting the A-Bolts for a very long time now. I have a few in wildcat calibers and a couple of standard calibers. I love the rifle... right out of the box it shoots great and it fits me perfect. I love the clip on the floor plate as well. If you are worried about setting the trigger the new x-bolts have this option as well as target crown and rotary clip right out of the box. I know they are not as light as the mountain Ti rifle but I can't wait to get one. I just have to go throught the safe and find out what caliber I don't have.
I hope you find one that works for you!
Old 08-26-2008, 08:42 AM
Banned

Saw Browning X Bolt Composite Stalker in .270WSM @ Russels. Nice pick it would be, IMHO.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:40 PM

More info on the ALaskan Ti:

I recently had two more Alaskan Ti models in my hands, again each was the 270WSM. Both had the same problems as the one I purchased last month from Russel's, (over which I had a lengthy rant). The rounds jammed in the magazine and failed to clear the feed ramps, and neither rifle would eject a round. I picked up a 300 WSM and a 270Win for comparison - same problems. The stocks apeared to be in a bit better condition than the one I had trouble with, but they too were not truly free floaing barrels as there were numerous points of contact against the barrel.

I prefer the 700 action but it just does not seem to handle the WSMs very well. I had hoped that I had only encounterd the statistical anomaly of the bad rifle making it through the factory and onto the shelf, but it appears the Alaskan Ti is a bit of a flop.

On another note, the Sako 85 seems to handle the WSMs round quite well.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:13 PM

Anybody know the weight of the new A7's?
Old 08-26-2008, 08:45 PM

Finally managed to find it. 6 3/8 lb or 6 5/8 lb depending on barrel length.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:14 PM
Banned

Default A single shot cool?

T/C makes a single shot rifle that is pretty light and also pretty affordable, thats what I would probably go with but some folks dont like single shots.