Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-21-2023, 09:11 PM

Unhappy Elk Hunters Please Help

I am a 65 year old hunter, I have hunter since 1973. I have shot 1 elk in that time, and that was just happenstance, on the trunk road in 1980. 5 years ago my wife said that she wanted to start hunting YEA HOW This was during the November deer season, so I bought her a Sako S-20 in 6.5 Creedmoor (good deer caliber), Then she tells me that she wants an Elk, OMG, so I bought her a 300PRC, good elk caliber!

Here is the problem. In the 4 years we have tried for elk, I can't get and elk to respond to my calls. I have tried going out to Elk Island national Park to listen and practice, I can get the elk out there to respond.

I bought a Fox Pro Call so I can practice when the Elk are not calling.

I know that that the elk around, once the night before the season opener seen 12 elk in an oil well site, set up there for a week, nothing. Seen a great 6x6 on a cut line 2 days before the opener, tried there for 4 days, all we had was a whitetail doe walk by at 60 yards, set up on a pipeline after seeing 2 cows and a calf, after legal shooting light ended and on the way out, seen a bull on the pipeline coming towards us, to dark to tell how big but he had a lot of antler! I have never heard a peep from any bull in 4 years.

My wife and I are getting old and it is getting harder every year, and I want to get her an ELK.

What am I doing wrong?
Old 10-21-2023, 09:15 PM

When are you going for elk? What month?
Old 10-21-2023, 09:28 PM

Lots of elk have been taken with the 6.5
Old 10-21-2023, 09:51 PM

Check out my elk tactics thread from a couple years ago.
Old 10-21-2023, 10:13 PM

Default Free Ride

We start the 2 days before the open of the rifle season every year and hunt for 10-14 days, we have tried the Edson and Fox Creek areas, the bulls are rutting, seen lots of fresh rubs and scrapes.
Old 10-22-2023, 07:14 AM

Default Read through this a couple times.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...0first%20light.
Old 10-22-2023, 07:22 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973 Moose View Post
We start the 2 days before the open of the rifle season every year and hunt for 10-14 days, we have tried the Edson and Fox Creek areas, the bulls are rutting, seen lots of fresh rubs and scrapes.
Well your in the right areas just gotta work on the calling, set up, moving etc.

Don’t panic, take your time and enjoy the outing not making it a success based on taking an animal it will happen.

Good luck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-22-2023, 07:29 AM

Elk are tough animals to hunt, I have been hunting for 45 years and personally have only taken 5 elk in that time, in our group we average less than 1 elk every 2 years and that's 6 - 8 of us hunting for 2 weeks straight. Patience is a key when hunting after the rut the bulls don't move much, if there is elk sign around post up on the cutlines and sit quietly.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 10-22-2023, 08:21 AM

I have taken 5 elk in my life and never once called one in. A lot of luck and knowing there’s a decent population where I’m hunting has helped. Past that it’s been mostly luck. A lot of walking and sitting. Not knowing that hunting zone I can’t help with that. The farther you get from a road your odds will exponentially increase. If you find where they are moving set up on their travel routes and ambush them when they come by. Don’t give up if they don’t show up after a day or two and just keep after it. Both 6.5 and 300 will work on elk within their respective capabilities.
Old 10-22-2023, 08:23 AM

This time of year with all the road hunters and gun shots they mostly only come out at night . If you can find where they bed down in the morning you might be able to call one out but you will have to walk in with flashlights at least one hour before sun up and sit for an hour and wait before calling . They normally go to their bedding areas two hours before legal light in crown land.

The other option is to hunt farm land that no one else is allowed in. Lol
or Suffield .
I am sure you have noticed 90 % of pictures that are posted of elk are on farm land . Not sure why they charge so much for an elk tag as getting one on crown land is very low . For me getting a Ram was easier than getting an Elk .
Old 10-22-2023, 08:35 AM

You're not spending enough time at it. I've killed enough deer in my hunting career, I quit, but only a half dozen elk, it's not that easy.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 10-22-2023, 08:49 AM

The new generation hunters have gone with trail cameras to find where the elk are and when they come out and when they bed down for the evening . Elk can move threw an area with out leaving tracks when the ground is hard but some guys will group up and buy a dozen trail cameras and place them all over so they know where they are on open day . Having cameras will also let you know if there are any legal bulls in the area ,and not just cows .
Old 10-22-2023, 10:18 AM

Default elk

Just as mentioned harvesting a elk in Alberta is a tough job. If you want better chance go to Grand Prairie or Peace River area. The harvest in some WMU's are in the 100's. My second last bull elk was taken in foothills wmu where only 5 elk were taken that year. Obsessed is good source of elk hunting wisdom.
Old 10-22-2023, 11:29 AM

It sounds like you are sitting waiting for elk to show up. Seeing elk at a well site, ok. They were only there for a bit of grazing. They might not come back to that spot until the season is over. Seeing one cross a cutline, fine it was going somewhere. Don't sit there thinking he will cross it again later that day. They don't pattern like whitetail. As for the calling, unless I'm out in peak of the rut I don't make a peep. As soon as you make any call everything around you knows where you are. I've seen elk end their early morning grazing and easily cover a mile of ground to get to where they bed down for the day. Elk have no problem covering a lot of ground, you can not keep up to them, I've tried. Following their trails is the best way to find out where they go and how they use an area. Good luck.
Old 10-22-2023, 01:17 PM

During the rut I like to find some ridges or tails can walk and call and repeat cover some ground. In evening i would try wating at an eating place. Looks like you 80 percent of of figured out. You found an area were they hang out. On government land that can be tough job.
Most elk have heard it all when it comes to calls so it can be hit or miss cow calling is usually more productive than the bugles.
This is what has worked for me in that past
Old 10-22-2023, 01:48 PM

Trip up north might be worthwhile, my neighbor scores consistently. I've found cow calls work well, even out of the rut.

Grizz

Old 10-22-2023, 02:59 PM

In my life I have 7 under my belt, was never easy that’s for sure. Last 3\4 years has been weird.

We are seeing elk, sign galore, but not existing bugles at all. So you have to change it up, find the sign, I put the bugle away, and cow call a lot more, seems like u can make it closer to the herd.

The wolf population has exploded, and same as Grizzly, so that’s huge in our zone , elk have to change their patterns, and shut up.

Either way, there is a reason they are called ghosts of the forests…
Old 10-22-2023, 04:39 PM

Default Thank You Very Much

Thx for all of the advise. I know it not easy to get an elk. I will get the elk nut app. and practice more and do more scouting. I have looked into the GP and Peace regions, It's a 7 hour drive from my place though. My wife has bad Arthritis, maybe I could get her an archery exception, so she could use a crossbow closer to home .
Old 10-22-2023, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Thx for all of the advise. I know it not easy to get an elk. I will get the elk nut app. and practice more and do more scouting. I have looked into the GP and Peace regions, It's a 7 hour drive from my place though. My wife has bad Arthritis, maybe I could get her an archery exception, so she could use a crossbow closer to home .
Is your wife able to hike? Its been my experience that at least in this area elk generally are not taken in easy to get to spots like they were 10 years ago. You dont have to go far into the backcountry but you do need to get into the bush a ways to where the elk are. Getting the elk nut app is a fantastic idea. His slow play sequence is a great tool to have in your tool box. As i see it you have two options when it comes to elk hunting...passive style or aggressive style. Passive hunting does work but it takes time lots of time. Find a spot that elk will come to and park yourself. Aggressively is on your feet FINDING elk it can take miles of walking. My style is more Aggressive..but when it comes to calling I'm almost anything but aggressive. You need to learn how to speak to elk as an elk would. Paul Medel ( elk nut) is one of the best teachers on this i have ever heard so rather than trying to fumble my way along teaching you, youtube him and some of his seminars. You will be well served. I truly hope you and your wife can put the pieces together and harvest a great bull. If you feel you would like more advice you can pm me and we can maybe have a phone convo where i could give you a few more directed pointers.
Old 10-22-2023, 08:02 PM

Default Obessed 1

Thx for all of the info.
Yes my wife can walk. I just want to get her an Elk before we can't walk any more. I just wish that she wanted to start hunting, 35 years ago when we got married.
I am already looking at the Elk Nut app, looks and sounds great so far.
We are already planning a trip to the Saddle and Birch hills. I have looked at going up there for awhile.
Old 10-23-2023, 12:20 PM

I’ve only shot 7 (?) elk and haven’t called in any to do it.
I spot them and hoof ‘er as fast as an old guy can, get in front of them and when they get in range blast them 😎. I’ve also bumbled into them, it’s amazing sometimes, you walk over a hill and there they are. Late season both of these tactics work. Good luck!
Old 10-23-2023, 12:47 PM

Took my wife 7 trips, 14 days each to get a shot with her bow, but when she did, it WORKED! Persistence will pay if you have enough of it.

Old 10-23-2023, 01:49 PM

Is she after a bull specifically, or is a cow okay too?

This may not help you this year, but there are some areas that have cow elk draws that are productive in the late season. The split season for the northern partition of 338 (the powerline right-of-way to highway 16) is one of them.

It takes some knocking on doors, but if you can find farmers that are having bale depredation issues, they are usually quite accommodating. Sometimes a chat with the local Wildlife Officer can help point you in the right direction.

It can be cold and frustrating to hunt that time of year. The last time I took an elk from there the temperature dropped down to -40 while we were retrieving it.
Old 10-23-2023, 02:11 PM

Was lucky with Saskatchewan elk. On the farm, they came up to our bale stacks. Just waited until season opens. Wait near stacks. Boom. Go pickup tractor/loader. Pickup elk. Skin/gut elk. Hang in garage to cool off. Process elk. Pretty much in that sequence. ✅
Old 10-23-2023, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Is she after a bull specifically, or is a cow okay too?

This may not help you this year, but there are some areas that have cow elk draws that are productive in the late season. The split season for the northern partition of 338 (the powerline right-of-way to highway 16) is one of them.

It takes some knocking on doors, but if you can find farmers that are having bale depredation issues, they are usually quite accommodating. Sometimes a chat with the local Wildlife Officer can help point you in the right direction.

It can be cold and frustrating to hunt that time of year. The last time I took an elk from there the temperature dropped down to -40 while we were retrieving it.
FYI…pretty much all of that part of 338 burned this year. It’s going to change everything for a long time.
Old 10-23-2023, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
FYI…pretty much all of that part of 338 burned this year. It’s going to change everything for a long time.
Ah, right, I did not clue in to that. Thanks!
Old 10-24-2023, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
Lots of elk have been taken with the 6.5
Lots wounded as well,it will kill an elk, however it's limited to ranges under 200 yards in terms of energy.
Old 10-24-2023, 06:25 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekender7 View Post
Took my wife 7 trips, 14 days each to get a shot with her bow, but when she did, it WORKED! Persistence will pay if you have enough of it.

Well worth the effort and perseverance.....congrats

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-24-2023, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Lots wounded as well,it will kill an elk, however it's limited to ranges under 200 yards in terms of energy.
Never underestimate an elk for survivability and shots are very likely long. My neighbor raves about his 600 Yd. successes.

Grizz

Old 10-26-2023, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Check out Suffield Draw. High success if you can shoot long range.