Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-14-2023, 08:34 PM

Default Snow goose recipe

All right goose people nows your time to shine, who wants to share their favourite snow goose recipe? I’ve had ginger goose and dill snow goose before at the Calgary fish and games wild game dinner but I’ve never cooked it my self. Lay it on me what’s your go to way to cook snow goose breast.
Old 10-14-2023, 08:47 PM

I grind mine and mix it 50/50 with pork and use it any where you might eat ground beef or pork. Then you can’t tell its goose. 😂
Old 10-14-2023, 10:51 PM

For younger birds treat it like cheap beef and it's amazing. Ginger goose, teriyaki goose, Mongolian goose etc etc for the tougher birds they get turned into ground jerky or pulled goose. For pulled goose out 2-4 breasts in a slow cooker. I cut them into large strips to fit better. Pour apple juice or Dr pepper over the breasts until covered. Cook until you can shred with a fork. This usually takes 6-9 hours. drain off the juice and shred the meat with a fork. Pour a bottle of your fav bbq sauce on it and your good to treat it like you would pulled pork.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 10-17-2023, 12:09 AM

Take a snow goose breast, and make an incision on the side cutting a pocket inside the breast… stuff with cream cheese, and a few slices of tamed jalapeño… then wrap breast with one or two slices of bacon… Medium rare on the Traeger or BBQ and it’s 5 star ( don’t overcook as it will make it tough…
Old 10-17-2023, 09:10 AM

Pastrami is good for big old tough birds. Cure it for a week in your dry brine, rinse it, put a delicious rub on it, and smoke it until it hits your desired internal temp, then eat it sliced super thin. That way you avoid biting BB's as well.
Old 10-17-2023, 12:23 PM

I tried this and it was very good! Ground the breast meat, onion, garlic, parsley and cilantro, add Montreal steak spice and mix all up. Cook just like any other hamburger. You will never say it is a goose meat, taste just like beef burger.
Old 10-27-2023, 02:40 PM

Default Duck, Duck, Goose Book

I highly recommend this book. It has a tones of great duck and goose recipes.

Duck, Duck, Goose: Recipes and Techniques for Cooking Ducks and Geese, both Wild and Domesticated by Hank Shaw

https://www.amazon.ca/Duck-Goose-Rec...70657423&psc=1
Old 10-27-2023, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joezam18 View Post
Pastrami is good for big old tough birds. Cure it for a week in your dry brine, rinse it, put a delicious rub on it, and smoke it until it hits your desired internal temp, then eat it sliced super thin. That way you avoid biting BB's as well.
Never eat another pellet again.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B07T23...b_b_asin_image
Old 10-29-2023, 07:56 PM

Default Crock Pot

I cook a lot of geese in my crock pot. Orange juice, Sugar and geese. Cook on high for 2 hours, then medium for about 4 hours. Pull the meat out, shred it and get rid of all the fat etc and you are left with pure lean goose meat. If there any pellets etc you find them when shredding the meat

I then dump the juice out and put in some fresh orange juice, sugar, red and yellow peppers, onions and put it on Medium for about 2 hours to get the meat super juicy and serve with stove top stuffing

If you are not a orange juice fan use root beer and brown sugar, after you have shredded the meat you can use it for anything - pizza toppings, bbq goose buns, tacos, in spaghetti sauce

I also like throw the shredded meat into a frying pan with cooked bacon bits and a can of cubed pineapple with juice and fry until it is a sugary mess - this on rice is amazing

Buckboard Bacon cure for 21 days makes great goose bacon
Old 10-29-2023, 11:59 PM

Make the breasts into jerky and the best parts… the legs.
Brown them off, toss with hot sauce, cook in the oven until tender.

You can thank me later
Old 10-30-2023, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Have you used that particular detector with good results?
Old 10-30-2023, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy95 View Post
Have you used that particular detector with good results?
I have for several years, and use it on every piece of meat I take off. Never found a pellet after packaging, and I do all my own processing, so it's never missed any.
Use the tip of it and actually touch the meat as you go over all of it, both sides.
In addition to our own pellets, I have now found dozens of pellets that were old and completely healed. Some were even lead.
It finds them all, which is much better than your teeth (or worse, someone else's teeth) finding them.
Old 10-31-2023, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
I have for several years, and use it on every piece of meat I take off. Never found a pellet after packaging, and I do all my own processing, so it's never missed any.
Use the tip of it and actually touch the meat as you go over all of it, both sides.
In addition to our own pellets, I have now found dozens of pellets that were old and completely healed. Some were even lead.
It finds them all, which is much better than your teeth (or worse, someone else's teeth) finding them.
Great to know, Thank you!
Old 10-31-2023, 08:54 AM

I have the name brand version - $250 or so
Surprised there is a knock off that works for 1/10th the price!

But yes mine works well too. I have a tiny titanium screw buried in a bone under muscle and skin in my leg from an ACL reconstruction a couple of decades ago - and my Pro Pointer will find that screw from a an inch or so above the skin.
They are remarkably sensitive and I recommend them for sure.

Not sure about the knock off - but hey if it works then its cheap insurance.
Easy enough to test - take a small steel pellet and lay it under a goose breast under a cutting board
if the metal detector goes off - I would say that is proof that it works.
You have to watch for interference - my kitchen table had metal fasteners that would trip the detector, and the countertop had enough hidden joints / brackets that it was almost impossible to use it on the counter top in our little kitchen. I now take off my wedding ring, and my watch, and hold the meat in my left hand and the detector in my right.
Old 10-31-2023, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jef612 View Post
I have the name brand version - $250 or so
Surprised there is a knock off that works for 1/10th the price!

But yes mine works well too. I have a tiny titanium screw buried in a bone under muscle and skin in my leg from an ACL reconstruction a couple of decades ago - and my Pro Pointer will find that screw from a an inch or so above the skin.
They are remarkably sensitive and I recommend them for sure.

Not sure about the knock off - but hey if it works then its cheap insurance.
Easy enough to test - take a small steel pellet and lay it under a goose breast under a cutting board
if the metal detector goes off - I would say that is proof that it works.
You have to watch for interference - my kitchen table had metal fasteners that would trip the detector, and the countertop had enough hidden joints / brackets that it was almost impossible to use it on the counter top in our little kitchen. I now take off my wedding ring, and my watch, and hold the meat in my left hand and the detector in my right.
Mine will go off as well, if I don't hold the piece at least a foot off the sink.
But I have now found two 6 or 7-1/2's in Goose breasts, and those it only picked up by flipping it over. Those were in big Canada's though.
Specks and snows I'm sure it would go right through.
Like I said, it's never missed a pellet.
Now I probably jinxed myself. Lol