Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-03-2017, 08:11 AM

If the OP was looking to purchase a bolt from an AO member , the proper procedure would have been to post a WTB ad in the buy & sell.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Maybe confusion by some members on this thread. The OP is looking for your bolt, not how to find the lost bolt. That boat left the dock.
That would mean finding a bolt without a rifle

The best bet for the OP is to send rifle to Stoeger Canada and have them fit with a new bolt, if they still have those in stock. If one has a chance to buy a rifle without bolt, it is at best a parts rifle.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:48 AM

I told the guy to keep his gun I was not interested,the end,over and out.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:44 PM

OP- too bad I hadn't seen this thread earlier. This fall I bought a pristine Tikka M65 in 7mm for less than 300$ because it was missing the bolt and the magazine. I searched everywhere even had my family in Scandinavia search for a bolt. No luck, but I did find a few places that sell 695 bolts. I believe you can even order them from tikka or stoeger Canada. I did find a bolt for my Tikka from a gunsmith in Warburg, I'll look up his info. You can also try western gun parts.

You'd be looking at 200-400$ for a bolt.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:39 PM

Found a few for over 550plus shipping taxes,so it wasn,t worth the trouble,i was going go on WTB ON buy and sell but figured I would maybe get luck here,losts guys know gunsmiths and such,so I gave it try being that it was not your normal thing to look to buy,no big deal,sometimes you get lucky.THANKS TO ALL.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:56 AM
Banned

Not meant to derail but are these bolts interchangeable?
Old 04-04-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Not meant to derail but are these bolts interchangeable?
Only with the other bolts for the same action length and bolt face, and the head space needs to be verified.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:40 AM

Surprisingly enough I have accumulated a few bolts for various rifles over the years, for a variety of reasons. Off the top of my head I have a FN Browning magnum bolt, BSA magnum bolt , Ruger 77 short action std face. May have one or two others those are the ones I remember that I have
Old 04-04-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
Surprisingly enough I have accumulated a few bolts for various rifles over the years, for a variety of reasons. Off the top of my head I have a FN Browning magnum bolt, BSA magnum bolt , Ruger 77 short action std face. May have one or two others those are the ones I remember that I have
Wow! Can't compete with that! After over 50 years of owning rifles and mostly bolt actions, I have exactly............? None

Too bad you did not have a tikka bolt that the OP needed.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Wow! Can't compete with that! After over 50 years of owning rifles and mostly bolt actions, I have exactly............? None

Too bad you did not have a tikka bolt that the OP needed.
Yes. The only things I have for Tikka 55/ 65 are some extractors and a magazine for 6mm
Old 04-04-2017, 12:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Only with the other bolts for the same action length and bolt face, and the head space needs to be verified.
Thanks. I got a 695 and had a thought lol then I read it was a 270. Thought has passed.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:48 PM

I just thought I would mention that I have been in the position where I could of lost a bolt. Its a little know regulation to do with road corridors. West of my home in the mountains theres a road corridor, the law states that in that corridor a rifle needs to be locked, cased or disassembled. When I go back sheep hunting I don't want to carry a case or a lock so I just simply pull the bolt until out of the road corridor and put it back in..

I just thought this might be some good information for some of you that never thought of it before when hunting off a road corridor.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheep View Post
I just thought I would mention that I have been in the position where I could of lost a bolt. Its a little know regulation to do with road corridors. West of my home in the mountains theres a road corridor, the law states that in that corridor a rifle needs to be locked, cased or disassembled. When I go back sheep hunting I don't want to carry a case or a lock so I just simply pull the bolt until out of the road corridor and put it back in..
I just thought this might be some good information for some of you that never thought of it before when hunting off a road corridor.
also a good thought might be what's the risk of taking the bolt out when you don't have to .. this is your choice and a real good example of how bolts , while out hunting get lost and don't have to be... been thru the corridors many times and my bolt is where it belongs ....
Old 04-04-2017, 07:04 PM
Banned

Don't feel bad if you're getting a bit of ribbing on this topic JD848. It's all in fun and I'm sure that if anyone of us had one, you'd be getting it. Personally, I've never lost a bolt. But I've misplaced (not lost) magazines for .22 rimfires. My worst lost items have been binoculars. As a result, I don't buy expensive ones anymore. The funny thing is that once I've started purchasing less expensive glass, I've never lost them anymore.....go figure eh! it ain't fair.....
Old 04-04-2017, 09:58 PM

Oh so what the poor bugger lost a bolt. Jeepers Creepers guys...if you never lost nothing and you spend time in the outdoors you are very special. Its an occupational hazard and can be life or death sometimes so back off a tad. Pleading total ignorance myself aswell. Thought a bolt is a bolt and with the common calibres and mass production you just buy a replacement bolt for that model of gun. Never lost one but got one that's siezed because of a backfire that damaged the extractor claw so I suppose I am screwed? Just a 111 savage 30-06 but I love that gun. Can't just slide another bolt in?
Old 04-04-2017, 10:22 PM

Extractors, ejectors , etc are easily replaced especially on Savage bolt heads .
A new bolt can be very expensive and it has to be fitted for head space as well , nothing like just replacing a bolt part .
Cat
Old 04-06-2017, 08:07 PM

Thanks cat didn't realize that at all. First time I ever had an issue. It was one of those winchester failsafes polymer tip that look so pretty and it blew the primer right out and I never seen anything like that. Like I said I love that old savage 30-06 but 5 hundo for a new bolt plus the fitting I hope they can fix the old girl or I be hanging her on the wall.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:47 PM

On a savage you only need to replace the bolt head and the headspace is easily adjusted in a savage
Old 04-07-2017, 09:38 PM

Geez thanks again guys. Appreciate the help. Never had gun problems, honestly just fire a shot or maybe two once the actual hunt is on and after rifle is sighted in. Just hunt big whitetail bucks so I don't even shoot some seasons. I have a 223 for coyotes but my savage lays the buck down out to 450yd with a 180 grain. Sure never had a primer blow out clean like that either...first and last failsafe I will put through that gun. Not trashing the product but I will stick with my old brass case and lead tip.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:02 PM

Lots guys wondering how you can lose a bolt or why is it out the rifle,some guys forget's there trigger lock but stay out till dark and have few hours to drive,an hour by quad and 2 by truck before getting home.If your stopped by the law or fish and wildlife it must be locked or not able to fire it or you can be charged for night hunting or unsafe storage plus lose the gun,it's happened and out this way,what FW do in Alberta I don't know.

Or a guy puts goes out and loses half a trigger lock and when he gets to his vehicle he has to remove the bolt and not have it stored in his gun case or he has a long quad ride he removes it and puts it another pack and it somehow falls out,i never lost a bolt in my life,but know of couple that have.

The m695 I posted for was for sale on Manitoba forum for a long time and I had no interest in it till another guy who bought it phoned to buy a shotgun and trade this m695 to,i never did the deal and was just hoping by fluke someone out in Alberta may have one,i don't want to put the username up because we haven't talked about it and may never again,i only know him from online,if you know someone on that forum just post a wanted ad for that gun and he will sell it.Don't pm me because I never seen the gun or touched it.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
Lots guys wondering how you can lose a bolt or why is it out the rifle,some guys forget's there trigger lock but stay out till dark and have few hours to drive,an hour by quad and 2 by truck before getting home.If your stopped by the law or fish and wildlife it must be locked or not able to fire it or you can be charged for night hunting or unsafe storage plus lose the gun,it's happened and out this way,what FW do in Alberta I don't know.

Or a guy puts goes out and loses half a trigger lock and when he gets to his vehicle he has to remove the bolt and not have it stored in his gun case or he has a long quad ride he removes it and puts it another pack and it somehow falls out,i never lost a bolt in my life,but know of couple that have.

The m695 I posted for was for sale on Manitoba forum for a long time and I had no interest in it till another guy who bought it phoned to buy a shotgun and trade this m695 to,i never did the deal and was just hoping by fluke someone out in Alberta may have one,i don't want to put the username up because we haven't talked about it and may never again,i only know him from online,if you know someone on that forum just post a wanted ad for that gun and he will sell it.Don't pm me because I never seen the gun or touched it.
Since this is the Alberta Outdoorsman, perhaps you should learn the Alberta Wildlfe Act. And while you are at it, read up on the federal firearms regulations. You have made statements that either are not true anywhere in Canada, or that may apply in other provinces, but do not apply in Alberta. I have bolded them in my quote so that you know what statements I am referring to. I don't own trigger locks for my long guns, and I don't remove the bolts, and I take my hunting firearms to and from the hunting areas legally outside of legal hunting hours.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 04-08-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:04 PM

If you travel 3 hours before daybreak to hunt for day break ,you leave early where I live I get up at 4 am to get therefor 7 am and if I get stopped without trigger locks or locked case I will be charged,if that's to hard to figure out than .then that's it.you want to argue and I don't because your not worth it,if i made a wrong comment because I don't know Alberta rules is nothing to get fired up about,no one is on the attack but you,but your like the wind it just keep's blowen air and garbage for nothing.

Last edited by JD848; 04-08-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
If you travel 3 hours before daybreak to hunt for day break ,you leave early where I live I get up at 4 am to get therefor 7 am and if I get stopped without trigger locks or locked case I will be charged,if that's to hard to figure out than .then that's it.you want argue and I don't because your not worth it,if made a wrong comment because I don't know Alberta rules is nothing to get fired up about,no one is on the attack but you,but your like the wind it just keep's blowen air and garbage for nothing.
Absolutely. Do what's right for you.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:18 PM

A friend on mine has 3 rifles with no bolts. Landlord made him store rifle and bolts separately. So he put the rifles in a safe and bolts in a tool box
In the garage. You. can probably figure the rest out. The toolbox got stolen.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:35 PM

You can tell a Heinz pickle by its crunch, but you can not tell a Heinz anything!
Old 04-08-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
If you travel 3 hours before daybreak to hunt for day break ,you leave early where I live I get up at 4 am to get therefor 7 am and if I get stopped without trigger locks or locked case I will be charged,if that's to hard to figure out than .then that's it.you want to argue and I don't because your not worth it,if i made a wrong comment because I don't know Alberta rules is nothing to get fired up about,no one is on the attack but you,but your like the wind it just keep's blowen air and garbage for nothing.
Again the statement in bold is untrue. It doesn't matter when you are in transit with the non restricted firearm, or how long you are in transit with the non restricted firearm, there is no federal or Alberta legislation that requires the firearm to have a trigger lock installed, or to be in a locked case. As long as the firearm is not loaded, it can be sitting on the seat next to you, uncased, assembled, and with no trigger lock.There are a few exceptions like Road Corridor Wildlife Sanctuaries and some parks, but for the rest of the province there are no silly laws in Alberta like there are in some Eastern provinces. And don't bother trying to apply the federal storage regulations, because a firearm in transit, is not in storage.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Again the statement in bold is untrue. It doesn't matter when you are in transit with the non restricted firearm, or how long you are in transit with the non restricted firearm, there is no federal or Alberta legislation that requires the firearm to have a trigger lock installed, or to be in a locked case. As long as the firearm is not loaded, it can be sitting on the seat next to you, uncased, assembled, and with no trigger lock.There are a few exceptions like Road Corridor Wildlife Sanctuaries and some parks, but for the rest of the province there are no silly laws in Alberta like there are in some Eastern provinces. And don't bother trying to apply the federal storage regulations, because a firearm in transit, is not in storage.
Put up a wind mill at your house you will supply the whole town,no cuff,i said I didn't know the rules in alberta and that is it sorry for the major crime I have done over a lost bolt.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:25 PM

If you do find one make sure to take it to a gunsmith and have the headspace done so it is the proper fit.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:50 PM

JD848, out of curiosity what province do you live in that has those rules?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Put up a wind mill at your house you will supply the whole town,no cuff,i said I didn't know the rules in alberta and that is it sorry for the major crime I have done over a lost bolt.
JD848,
Your understanding of firearms laws is simply wrong.

With respect to the rifle without a bolt, it is too bad that you can not turn it into a good deal.

It is not unheard of that bolts get separated from rifles, but it down right silly to blame it on existing laws, especially laws that you should know if you have a PAL.