Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-01-2016, 11:07 AM

Default Worst stretch of highway in AB?

What do you think is the worst stretch of highway in Alberta? Not just a bad spot, I mean a KM or more of terrible roads.

Mine is highway 43 from valleyview to the Simonette road. The frost heaves have destroyed the road and I can't believe it isn't getting repaved.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:27 AM

Thumbs down

Henday west, vibrate the guts outta yah!!
Old 07-01-2016, 11:45 AM

I didn't think I had much of a gut until I drove on the henday
Old 07-01-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
What do you think is the worst stretch of highway in Alberta? Not just a bad spot, I mean a KM or more of terrible roads.

Mine is highway 43 from valleyview to the Simonette road. The frost heaves have destroyed the road and I can't believe it isn't getting repaved.
X2 on valleyview to simonette, between fox creek and white court has some pretty bad frost heaves as well
Old 07-01-2016, 12:42 PM

That stretch of #43 past Valleyview is horrible, and of course I always grab a coffee at the Tim's just before I hit it. Half always seems to end up down the front of my shirt, you'd think I'd learn. More locally, Hwy 674 heading east off the #2, going to Teepee Creek....brutal.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-01-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big pete View Post
X2 on valleyview to simonette, between fox creek and white court has some pretty bad frost heaves as well
Agree, seen some serious log loads bounce through those heaves. Bad enough pulling sleds.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:54 PM

Our new fluid pump has latches that you pull up, then they tip out to allow the treating iron to come off the rack, and I hit the really big heave and it opened one or the latches and a piece of iron fell out halfway and was sticking out 4ft into the ditch. I got back to the shop ang made a secondary pin you have to pull out now, but if both latches had opened there's would've been chaos
Old 07-01-2016, 01:48 PM

Cold Lake from about
McD's all the way to past the 7/11
is the s**ts for me..
Old 07-01-2016, 02:18 PM

I'm gonna put the Elk River road on this list. About as bad as I've ever driven.

Grizz
Old 07-01-2016, 02:20 PM

3 days of yardin' a 6000lb single axle trailer around Sk will cure you of the bellyaches about Ab roads
Old 07-01-2016, 02:38 PM

Highway 43 heading into Grande Prairie would get my vote.
Old 07-01-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreyer View Post
Highway 43 heading into Grande Prairie would get my vote.
Used to be atrocious, but they completely redid it and finished last year. It is fantastic now. Prior to that, hauling a single axle trailer down it was enough to make you sea sick.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-01-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I'm gonna put the Elk River road on this list. About as bad as I've ever driven.

Grizz
Elk River Road ain't a highway, although I'll agree it's bad. Lots of **** oilfield roads and secondary highways. Talking about main highways definitely the stretch between Valleyview and Fox Creek.

Nothing worse than SK secondary highways. The ones that you pray for a gravel section. Worst of all are temporary rig mat roads down a long pipeline right of way.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:34 PM

Highway 2 east of Slave Lake gets some bad frost heaves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Used to be atrocious, but they completely redid it and finished last year. It is fantastic now. Prior to that, hauling a single axle trailer down it was enough to make you sea sick.
Didn't know that they fixed it up! It's been a while since I've been on that stretch, so always a good heads up.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
3 days of yardin' a 6000lb single axle trailer around Sk will cure you of the bellyaches about Ab roads
Very true.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:48 PM

Highway 20 north of Sylvan Lake has a few spine jarring bumps. Those bumps have been there for what seems like forever.

Also, pretty much any road in Wetaskiwin County is in rough shape.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big pete View Post
I just drove from Sherwood Park to Valleyview today, and yes, back again.

I was shocked at the condition of Hwy 43

As far as gravel roads Elk River Road can get pretty bad when wet. I remember one time being in 4wd-low to get thru the mud holes. This was about 15 years ago and it isn't much better now.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:19 PM

43 from Yellowhead to Onoway. Only because it's an old chunk of Socred highway that's been crap since forever. But all they do is patch the patches.

Or how about Elkwater to Fort Walsh on the dirt. Haven't been on it for a while so hopefully it's still awesome. Don't touch it I wouldn't want it any other way.

Highway 11 Sylvan to Rocky can be a pain at times too.

The concrete part of the Anthony Henday is going to be a piece of work in a few years when they can't grind the frost ripples out of it any more.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:51 PM

I've driven every one of the roads mentioned in every season and I hear what you're saying BUT, this ain't nothing! AB roads are the best in the country (except maybe for the warm parts of BC).
Old 07-01-2016, 11:52 PM

Coal camp
Old 07-02-2016, 10:16 AM

Hwy 56 south of Battle River to 56/53 junction. Only stretch they haven't fixed and don't know why they won't.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
I've driven every one of the roads mentioned in every season and I hear what you're saying BUT, this ain't nothing! AB roads are the best in the country (except maybe for the warm parts of BC).
Absolutely, we have awesome highways here. Try and go for a drive into Saskatchewan ,and not the short stretch between the Alberta border and Meadow Lake Park, and you'll realize how lucky we are. We recently traveled Highway 21 between Goodsoil and Paradise Hill where they mark the "surface failures". It would be easier to mark the smooth sections! Honestly, many of the gravel roads in Saskatchewan are much better than the "paved" ones. At least they can send out a grader to smooth out the rough spots.
GN
Old 07-02-2016, 12:59 PM

Default 41 south

Highway 41 south to Cypress Hills. More patches then original pavement, lines are painted on the grass as shoulders have eroded away. Going up Elkwater hill there are slide areas where right now pavement drops about 8 inches.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post

This!!!
Old 07-02-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genoel View Post
Absolutely, we have awesome highways here. Try and go for a drive into Saskatchewan ,and not the short stretch between the Alberta border and Meadow Lake Park, and you'll realize how lucky we are. We recently traveled Highway 21 between Goodsoil and Paradise Hill where they mark the "surface failures". It would be easier to mark the smooth sections! Honestly, many of the gravel roads in Saskatchewan are much better than the "paved" ones. At least they can send out a grader to smooth out the rough spots.
GN
I've driven those roads too! Yep, they are rough. The maritimes have many back roads and municipal streets that are even worse.

I know this thread is about AB, but we shouldn't take things for granted!
Old 07-02-2016, 09:15 PM
Banned

I was just out on the yellowhead west from edmonton... thats pretty sketchy in places.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:30 PM

Unhappy henday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Ballz View Post
Henday west, vibrate the guts outta yah!!
try a crew cab dually pulling a 20ft car trailer wheel base is just right for the cracks
Old 07-03-2016, 05:51 AM

Used to be 127st between Yellowhead and 118ave in E-town but they are tearing it up now. It was completely unusable on a motorbike, looked like a war zone
Old 07-03-2016, 08:54 AM
Banned

It would be a slow thread if the question was best highway. Hwy 43 east and west of gp. Hwy 40 south of gp. Can't forget the roads in gp. Might be easier to say anything road in the county of gp.