Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-20-2013, 11:24 PM

Default Burbot Tips

I would love some Burb tips from all you fishing veterans. Location, Techniques and any other info is welcome and greatly appreciated.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:31 PM

Location - definitely lake X.

Technique - Smelt on hook or jig head seems to be the best.

Depth will depend on the lake and time of spawn as the uglies go back to deeper water after they finish "doing their thing".
Old 12-21-2013, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Location - definitely lake X.

Technique - Smelt on hook or jig head seems to be the best.

Depth will depend on the lake and time of spawn as the uglies go back to deeper water after they finish "doing their thing".
That narrows it down.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:43 AM

i am no expert since i've only caught my first burb this fall.

But I have found them in the rivers in 10' holes, and in 16' in the lakes jigging smelt right off bottom. I've caught most of mine during the middle of the day, though I feel like I've been extremely lucky since most people wait till dusk.

the burbs i did catch this fall in lakes during the day were covered in mud - something i read burbs do during the day - burrow into the bottom. either i was jigging my smelt right over them and/or i enticed them out of their slumber/ambush spot?
Old 12-21-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
That narrows it down.
How much more do you need?? That summed it up quite nicely I thought...
Old 12-21-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
How much more do you need?? That summed it up quite nicely I thought...
perhaps she ment what she said. as it does do a good job of narrowing it down...

id says bang on the bottom with the jig head every min or so.. then just dead stick it till something grabs it

was gonna try to keep track but ive caught to many!!!
Old 12-21-2013, 02:03 PM

General questions = General answers

Smelts are simply the most versatile method - weather dead sticked or jigged - that is the best place to start. I probably could have said "on the bottom" I guess. Burbot can be found in 6 inches of water at low light and as deep as 600-800 feet like in the great lakes.

They do not commonly suspend, but are recognized as one of the most curious freshwater fish, often investigating and surfacing in ice fishing holes, can be found studying floating buoys, hanging out under docks, etc....

Generally, they are found in the deepest and coolest parts of rivers and lakes in slack current.

They can tolerate brackish water, dirty water and water with lower oxygen than most other species found here in Alberta.

Even guys who fish 200 days a year and have been doing it for 30 plus years still need to find where they are ..... they are usually in deep muddy holes but not so much in the evening when they move into the shallows slithering around looking to ambush a meal.

Also during the spawn, they can be in 2 feet of water, under 2 feet of ice in areas where there are rocks, gravel or something the eggs can settle into (they are broadcast spawners).

They have a great sense of smell - so drop your stinky smelt on the bottom and they will come over eventually.

They are easy to catch and quite tasty when skinned, rolled in flour and deep fried.

Their livers are prized as culinary fare .........

............ how's that????
Old 12-21-2013, 02:29 PM
Banned

love a sandy bottom. raw chicken sit it right on sand works great for me.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:52 PM

dead stick jig head w/ minnow
Old 12-21-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
General questions = General answers

Smelts are simply the most versatile method - weather dead sticked or jigged - that is the best place to start. I probably could have said "on the bottom" I guess. Burbot can be found in 6 inches of water at low light and as deep as 600-800 feet like in the great lakes.

They do not commonly suspend, but are recognized as one of the most curious freshwater fish, often investigating and surfacing in ice fishing holes, can be found studying floating buoys, hanging out under docks, etc....

Generally, they are found in the deepest and coolest parts of rivers and lakes in slack current.

They can tolerate brackish water, dirty water and water with lower oxygen than most other species found here in Alberta.

Even guys who fish 200 days a year and have been doing it for 30 plus years still need to find where they are ..... they are usually in deep muddy holes but not so much in the evening when they move into the shallows slithering around looking to ambush a meal.

Also during the spawn, they can be in 2 feet of water, under 2 feet of ice in areas where there are rocks, gravel or something the eggs can settle into (they are broadcast spawners).

They have a great sense of smell - so drop your stinky smelt on the bottom and they will come over eventually.

They are easy to catch and quite tasty when skinned, rolled in flour and deep fried.

Their livers are prized as culinary fare .........

............ how's that????
I'd say some of the most helpful info i've taken from this forum. Thank you!
Old 12-21-2013, 09:06 PM

If you want burbot a Great Lake to catch a bunch is utikima. I don't usually target them but here are a few tips. Deep water 20 - 30 feet or more in daylight usually adjacent structure like drop off on a point will work. Evening is the best time into the darkness. Dead stick a smelt, herring or anchovies about 6 inches off bottom. Jigging works well too. They really like a jig head and minnow with a glow jig or flasher jig. You can also just jig a smelt on a quick strike rig. Bounce it on the bottom and keep it slowly moving near the bottom. When you feel weight give them a three count to take it and then set the hook. Good luck.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 12-21-2013, 11:10 PM

less is more when it comes to jigging, leave it for a minute or two then bounce it off the bottom once or twice and leave it again.

smelt or minnow on a jig head, 6" or less off the bottom.

Start in 10 fow, if they're not there try deeper.

they aren't too picky a fish in my experience.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 12-21-2013, 11:22 PM

I honestly have no idea, I always catch them by accident lol

Tags
burbot