Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-14-2023, 10:55 AM

Default Grouse & Duck within 100KM of Edmonton

Hi,
Is there a place close to Edmonton where one can hunt ducks & grouse? Has anyone hunted in
Sherwood Park 1
J.H Brown
H.D Brown
Mulloy
Gambling Lake-Carey area

Do they have any waterfowl in these areas?
Old 10-14-2023, 11:17 AM

It’s a beautiful day to get out and find out. There’s grouse and ducks all over the place.
Old 10-14-2023, 12:23 PM

You can hunt them in a lot of places as long as you have a land owner permission… Closer to Edmonton- harder to get it usually…
Old 10-14-2023, 04:21 PM

No offence, but fill up your tank and get moving in any direction, you’ll discover what is what very quickly.

That’s how most of us do it, head out and discover things….. the whole experience is far more rewarding when you execute the whole package, of finding, setting up, and doing.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-14-2023, 04:30 PM

Anywhere within 100 km of Edmonton has several thousand people doing the same thing

My suggestion is wake up earlier and drive farther.

If you don’t want to, don’t expect stellar hunting. You can have the odd good day in any spot but for the most part, the more pressure, the poorer the hunting.
Old 10-14-2023, 05:50 PM

Blackfoot grazing reserve east of sherwoodpark is a good area for both. Lots of trails to wander and not to many people in there this time of year. Theres ducks and grouse scattered through out it. Even seen a pheasant last time I was in there. Make sure to get an discharge permit and read the rules before you go.
Old 10-14-2023, 07:32 PM

Great app that shows huntable lands is this.
Download it and go.
If your line me and refuse to go knocking on doors, it’s for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2023, 08:26 AM

FYI I drove 200km north of Edmonton to a large pocket of crown land and found dozens of ruffed grouse. Three hunters chasing whitetail… we could have had our daily limit each day if we were focusing on them. We took 7 total over three days and had one hell of a great meal at camp. Land permission is not impossible but can be hard to get in my experiences unless you know someone with land. I’ve got grouse on my acreage, but it’s really fun teaching my two boys about the joys of walking through the forest and having one scare the crap out of you.

Daryl
Old 10-18-2023, 04:37 PM

You seem to have been around since 2007. Have you ever left the City?

Anyway, go onto ACA website and start cruising around on their property map. See what is out there and enjoy the countryside.

Drewski
Old 10-28-2023, 10:02 PM

Hi Drewski
Since 2007 that's what I have been doing just putting miles, driving around all day for almost 16 hours. And then come home empty-handed. Partly because I don't get to go hunting that often. That's why I was thinking of just finding something close by walking the bush hoping to get some grouse and or any other small game.

I have been using the ACA app, and that's how I found these locations.
Old 10-29-2023, 07:53 PM

Just an update, I went to Mulloy didn't see a single bird there. But tons of rabbit tracks.
Old 10-29-2023, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh7674 View Post
Just an update, I went to Mulloy didn't see a single bird there. But tons of rabbit tracks.
Where is Mulloy?
Old 10-29-2023, 08:12 PM

If you want to find waterfowl you’re going to need to be out early in the area you wish to hunt and watch for a flock flying and follow them to there they land to feed. Then you need to confirm that’s a regular feeding area by watching to see that they leave and come back. Then you’ll need to find the owner of the field and get permission to hunt that field. Then you need to get into said field before daybreak and get a blind set up and some decoys and hope said geese /ducks come back and give you an opportunity for some shooting. At least that’s how I did it when I was chasing waterfowl.
Very rewarding work but the key word is work . Takes a lot of work and dedication to the hunt. Easier with a partner but lots of fellows hunt solo.

Now if you’re after grouse then I suggest you head west or north of Edm and get yourself in some crown land. Either drive the lease roads or walk em or walk the bush and cut lines. Very rewarding hunting as well but you need to cover miles ..slowly .