Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-22-2021, 11:08 AM

Default W.W. Greener shotgun

Hey guys I just thought I would ask a few questions, fairly recently I had a double barrel greener shotgun handed down to me. I believe it was more of an investment rather than used for target or hunting. I don’t see any particular model numbers but rather a variety of serial numbers. It’s a rather old shotgun but in very good shape, I’m not sure if anyone would know how much it is worth. If it isn’t worth a ton I’ll probably use it for some field hunting at some point but I don’t want to go use something that very well belongs in a collection.
Old 10-22-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
Hey guys I just thought I would ask a few questions, fairly recently I had a double barrel greener shotgun handed down to me. I believe it was more of an investment rather than used for target or hunting. I don’t see any particular model numbers but rather a variety of serial numbers. It’s a rather old shotgun but in very good shape, I’m not sure if anyone would know how much it is worth. If it isn’t worth a ton I’ll probably use it for some field hunting at some point but I don’t want to go use something that very well belongs in a collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2021, 12:10 PM

Yup ,thats a nice classic shot gun . Thanks for showing it off.
I am sure you know the value of them . Anywhere from $3000. - $20,000.
Looks like yours is a grade 3 so $20,000 in mint shape.If you can find a buyer.
Guns were made to shoot . You can shoot it or sell it .
Old 10-22-2021, 12:14 PM

That is a very nice example, the case and accessories bump up the value considerably.
If you look on the bottom of the trigger guard you may see the model number, but being a box lock I woukd suspect it is an F series gun .
Any pics of the proof marks??
Cat
Old 10-22-2021, 12:21 PM

How are these pics for you cat? I was hoping you’d chime in, you know far more about these things than I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Yup ,thats a nice classic shot gun . Thanks for showing it off.
I am sure you know the value of them . Anywhere from $3000. - $20,000.
Looks like yours is a grade 3 so $20,000 in mint shape.If you can find a buyer.
Guns were made to shoot . You can shoot it or sell it .
That’s the thing I’m not really sure of the value, classic guns are not my forte, shooting guns I do pretty good but valuing a beautiful old shotgun is new to me. I wanted to do my research before I decide what to do with it and I figured this was a good place to start. It’s good to know what some of the guys think it may be worth as well as perhaps who is a good reputable guy to talk to about this?
Old 10-22-2021, 03:49 PM

That is a thing of beauty and it would be a shame to not hunt with it at least one time.
Old 10-22-2021, 04:46 PM

It LOOKS to be a J57, but II am not aware of a greener model starting with a J.
However, Greener is still in Business and you can send them the serial number and they can give you the history of that gun.
I am a bit surprised( but then again not ) that it has what looks to be a Pachmeyer "White line" recoil pad on it, II doubt if it was put on at the Greener factory.

You should really send W.W.Greener an email with pics!
info@wwgreener.com
Cat
Old 10-22-2021, 05:00 PM

I'm not terrible familiar with shotguns, what's the round, reel looking thing?
Old 10-22-2021, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
It LOOKS to be a J57, but II am not aware of a greener model starting with a J.
However, Greener is still in Business and you can send them the serial number and they can give you the history of that gun.
I am a bit surprised( but then again not ) that it has what looks to be a Pachmeyer "White line" recoil pad on it, II doubt if it was put on at the Greener factory.

You should really send W.W.Greener an email with pics!
info@wwgreener.com
Cat
I will have to send greener an email, thanks cat. It isn’t a model with a J those numbers on the trigger guard are 42812 List N 57. After the N that is either a small o or a small circle. The recoil pad is a pachmaur, that’s a good eye you have there, if it wasn’t put on at the factory someone did a good job of putting it on, it looks pretty natural on there.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I'm not terrible familiar with shotguns, what's the round, reel looking thing?
I wouldn’t be able to tell you lol, this gun is way fancier than my Remington 870, it’s some type of container
Old 10-22-2021, 07:55 PM

Default greener

Beautiful piece of art. Be a shame not to hunt with it. Unless you're really careless with your guns, you wont hurt it, and a quick rubdown to the stock with boiled linseed on occasion will put a lasting shine to it.
I have, and shoot, many vintage shotguns. Among them; Westley Richards, W.C Scott, Charles Lancaster, C.G.Bonehill, and Isaac Hollis. Some with, some without hammers. The biggest joy in owning one of these classics is taking it back out into the field and using it for the purpose it was designed.
Just this last weekend, we logged 30 KM in the field chasing pheasants and sharptails. I switched out three guns over three days of shooting and packing a classic like your Greener, makes it all the more enjoyable.
Congratulations on scoring a truly beautiful gun, and hope you shoot many birds with it before passing it on to another deserving member of your family.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:09 PM

Don't turn it into your truck gun

She's a beauty!!
Old 10-22-2021, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
Beautiful piece of art. Be a shame not to hunt with it. Unless you're really careless with your guns, you wont hurt it, and a quick rubdown to the stock with boiled linseed on occasion will put a lasting shine to it.
I have, and shoot, many vintage shotguns. Among them; Westley Richards, W.C Scott, Charles Lancaster, C.G.Bonehill, and Isaac Hollis. Some with, some without hammers. The biggest joy in owning one of these classics is taking it back out into the field and using it for the purpose it was designed.
Just this last weekend, we logged 30 KM in the field chasing pheasants and sharptails. I switched out three guns over three days of shooting and packing a classic like your Greener, makes it all the more enjoyable.
Congratulations on scoring a truly beautiful gun, and hope you shoot many birds with it before passing it on to another deserving member of your family.
I would be a fool NOT to agree with you!
Cat
Old 10-23-2021, 12:07 AM

Not much of contribution, but it is a beautiful gun!

Hope you find out all you need about it. And let us know too
Old 10-23-2021, 09:55 AM

VERY nice old Greener. Having the case and accessories is a very big bonus. That should be great fun to get out hunting with. It has seen a lot of use, more by you will not hurt the value at all. I agree the wood needs some tender loving care like a rub down with boiled Linseed oil, do NOT refinish it. A good clean and re-oil and you are good to go shoot a few grouse. Look forward to hearing what you get back from Greener.

P.S. Trochu, the round cylinder looking thing is actually a container for gun oil.
Old 10-23-2021, 01:15 PM

Am I completely out to lunch thinking this shotgun was built around the 1900 timeframe? Seems pretty hard to believe.

Wish some of my rifles had wood like that either way.
Old 10-23-2021, 01:26 PM

I would say you are pretty close. Found this on a Double Gun site.

W. W. GREENER
SERIALIZATION
Year Starting Serial Number
1878 19304
1880 22860
1895 38917
1902 50911
1915 58536
1920 62621
1930 68635
1967 79259

OS - when you send Greener the pictures send them nice clear pictures of the marks on the barrels and receiver. They can tell you from the proof marks if it was proofed for Nitro powder or only BP.

Last edited by Dean2; 10-23-2021 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-24-2021, 11:55 PM

Well I got an email back from greener, fun fact I believe it’s still a family owned company as the email was from a fellow with the last name Greener. It started being made December 18, 1894 finished March 29, 1895. It’s a model F of the facile princeps model, made for 2 1/2 inch black powder shells.
Old 10-25-2021, 02:16 AM

That was quick!

That’s old by any stretch. Like I said previously, beautiful gun, mate! Thanks for the info.
Old 10-25-2021, 06:31 AM

Your Greener requires a much closer examination to put a value on it.
The barrels need close examination to discover if they are steel or Damascus construction, and exactly what the proof is.
The simple border engraving is characteristic of the less expensive "colonial" or "keeper's gun" models.
Your gun is well used. The cost of a skilled double gun smith to recondition the stock would be as large as the value of the gun. If you have a sentimental attachment to the gun, and want to keep it as a prized legacy, you might still want to improve the stock finishing. Poor refinishing work will damage what value remains.
A matching case is a valuable addition to the gun.
I think it would be a great gun to enjoy in the field, as it is.
You should look into buy some low pressure RST 2 1/2 inch cartridges, or load some equivalent, that are suitable for the gun.
Modest 12 gauge British guns are not bringing big prices in current Canadian auctions, and even less in Britain these days.
Old 10-25-2021, 07:12 AM

I figured it was an Facile Princeps but was wondering what exact model.
Toy can clearly see the Damascus patten on the barrel, bug the oroff marks will tell tgd tale.
Greener still makes Damascus barrels proofed for Smokeless, BTW, bug I susoectvthus was is proofed for back powder, which is no big deal in the long run.
There are several sources for reusable low pressure Smokeless Loads and I bcan help you with loading black powder and brass cases .
Cat