Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-31-2015, 08:25 AM

Default Anybody seen this yet?

http://www.economist.com/news/scienc...cientists-eyes

It is a new species of wolf, coyote and dog. Just a matter of time I guess.

It will by all accounts be more dangerous than the coyotes. It says they hunt in packs and can and do kill big game.

I would think it had to start with a wolf bitch and a large male farm dog. If it were the other way around the pups would be domesticated by the bitch owner.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:04 PM
Banned

Someone on here recently caught a coydog and posted part of the story. About 2 weeks ago I think.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:11 PM

There was a group of coydogs in the stettler area when verhovens had the reindeer just north of town. They cleaned up more cats and dogs than anything else. They ran in a pack which was lead by the black female. She was finally snared under a fence but many had tryed to take her out.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Someone on here recently caught a coydog and posted part of the story. About 2 weeks ago I think.

The second one is definetly getting mounted!
Have gotten it close enough to see twice now. Problem is it will not respond to calls. Might have to use some footholds and check Em 3 times a day.
It's damn aggressive/territorial, and tried going after my dog and the farmers heeler with no hesitation. Whip fast and smart too.

I have seen and hunted coy wolves around north bay Ontario.
Thry have been around those parts for a while now.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:09 PM

Domestic dogs go in heat at twice a year and not necessarily at the best time of the year for the pups survival.
Coydogs may have one litter but the following litters are not likely to be born at the best season to prevent high pup mortality. For that reason coydogs genetics are much less likely to continue within a population.
Coyote and wolf habitat has overlapped in Alberta for a long time without any successful cross breeding. I don't see it starting now.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:46 AM

Actually from Ontario and used to spend a lot of time out in the sticks. Definitely saw at least 1-2 of these guys poking around a year or two ago. Creepy part is they weren't actually too far from a summer camp and outdoor learning center. Definitely didn't think they looked like your typical coydogs back then.