Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2018, 09:13 AM
Suspended User

Default Why do people try this?

https://rdnewsnow.com/article/591530...n-crash-victim

https://rdnewsnow.com/article/585113...h-taylor-drive

Another scumbag has lost his life trying to flee in a stolen vehicle, and the family and friends are trying to convince us the scum was a good guy.
I was in the area when he was running and my family was put at risk because of his actions. He put one person in the hospital, and could have easily killed her. Yet he was a great, generous guy who was always helping others. Ya right, helping others feel pain.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:19 AM

Your answer in a single word?

Drugs
Old 07-14-2018, 09:21 AM

Because our society is so messed up, that people want the criminals to appear to be the victims.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:29 AM

Theres often a lot of co-dependance or someone has been enabling the junkie rather than getting them into a program. Call me cynical but I think a lot of addicts are beyond hope. Some can be brought around to sobriety sure, but how many straighten out enough to really thrive?
Old 07-14-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venison Assassin View Post
Theres often a lot of co-dependance or someone has been enabling the junkie rather than getting them into a program. Call me cynical but I think a lot of addicts are beyond hope. Some can be brought around to sobriety sure, but how many straighten out enough to really thrive?
I work with many addicts who are thriving after beating down their addictions! The strength of the human spirit is inspiring. That being said, some of the strongest proponents I have met on not enabling addicts has been recovered addicts themselves.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:09 AM

Why do people try this. Because for everyone of them that actually dies they have probably done it dozens of times and thousands of others who do it get away with it. Worst that happens is they get caught a few times, rarely serve time. In a few minutes time they can steal a vehicle, sell it to a chop shop for an eight ball or a few hundred bucks and go get high for the day or have transportation for a few days before they dump it somewhere. For people of that nature it's a pretty low risk and very easy opportunity with very little risk of serious consequences. If they hurt or kill someone along the way it doesn't matter much to them. What's the worst that can happen to them? They pretend they are sorry when they're in front of a judge, if they do get convicted they get to serve time, make friends and network with like minded people until they are let back out. Not much of a downside for them.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
I work with many addicts who are thriving after beating down their addictions! The strength of the human spirit is inspiring. That being said, some of the strongest proponents I have met on not enabling addicts has been recovered addicts themselves.
100% agree
Old 07-14-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venison Assassin View Post
Some of the finest people I know are recovered addicts and alcoholics.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Yes, attend an AA or NA meeting (they do occasionally have open meetings)...people would be mighty surprised if the knew how many powerful people in business, sports and professional people were regulars at these meetings and are recovering alcoholics or addicts.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I did use the term ‘some’ but the ‘some’ I was referring to were the ones who turn to crime to support their habits. I think that there are way more alcoholics and drug addicts who manage to feed their habits without turning to crime than there are who commit break & enter and vehicle theft and such. It is the ones who create a wake of victims behind them to which I was referring. I’m sure there are stages too, where an addict might not steal from strangers but will steal without hesitation from their family or employer, somehow justifying it to themselves that they deserve it. Or ones that steal from businesses like WalMart as shoplifters, but would not do a residential B&E. Everyone’s morals are different. My original reference was about the junkies who have reached the stage where they are willing to run over police or the public in stolen vehicles in their futile quests to escape lawful capture. The junkies who break into homes and steal vehicles. I’m not sure if any of your friends were at such a stage but that’s the stage where my sympathy for their humanity wanes. I can sympathize for with the ones who mostly victimize themselves (and by extension their friends and family) so long as they don’t commit felonies. Felonies and where they endanger the lives of others are where I cease to care for their humanity and simply view them as vermin.

Of course there are the lighter stages of addiction, we’ve probably all known people who drank excessively and weren’t in control of their lives, or people who are incapable of going out for drinks without reaching the level of being a staggering buffoon.