Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-26-2020, 07:42 PM

Default 6mm Rem bullet selection

So I am trying to find bullets for my friends 6mm rem and am unsure which ones to buy. I know the 6mm was originally called the .244 and info I find is the diameter is listed at .2435. I haven’t see these bullet diameters available, only .243. Are they the same and interchangeable? I was in Cabelas yesterday and couldn’t bring myself to buy them as I wasn’t sure if they would work. I am going to be doing some reloading.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:50 PM

.243" is the correct diameter for the 6mm Rem.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:02 PM

Thanks Elk, when I asked the guys in the hunting department they had no clue and I am not familiar with this cartridge. They are hard to find and was offering to reload for him. Bought a set of dies and have lots of powder and primers.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:03 PM

not trying to be a dick here; but it sounds to me like you have very minimal if any experience reloading and shooting sports knowledge.
the last thing someone with minimal experience should be doing is taking on the responsibility of loading for another party.
the ability to buy components does not make you versed in safe reloading. lee

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:31 PM

I shoot 100 gr nosler partitions out of my .243. First buck I took with that load dropped right in its tracks. Rattled him in to about 45 yards, love that rifle.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
not trying to be a dick here; but it sounds to me like you have very minimal if any experience reloading and shooting sports knowledge.
the last thing someone with minimal experience should be doing is taking on the responsibility of loading for another party.
Yeah, whatever. Thanks for your input Tips. I go by the book and it works out alright, haven't blown myself up yet. I was a little confused by the 6mm, .243 Winchester and the moniker. 244 Rem. I have loaded thousands of round of .223 45 ACP, .357, 45LC, etc. Great place to come for an honest opinion. Cheers
Old 12-01-2020, 11:01 AM

What is the twist rate of your rifle ..
Old 12-01-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhunter View Post
Yeah, whatever. Thanks for your input Tips. I go by the book and it works out alright, haven't blown myself up yet. I was a little confused by the 6mm, .243 Winchester and the moniker. 244 Rem. I have loaded thousands of round of .223 45 ACP, .357, 45LC, etc. Great place to come for an honest opinion. Cheers

This is why I love reading forum discussions. Always entertaining.

Duceman does bring up a good point in that the majority of resources for reloading whether it be bullet manufacturer websites or reloading manuals (print or digital), list the 6mm as .243, sooooo if you didn’t sort that out on your own, there is some concern that another individual would be firing the cartridge without knowing the risk they’re taking on!
Fair warning given the circumstances.

Clearly you didn’t take safety feedback very well. Doesn’t bode well when you ask for more advice from a forum with a small group of frequent contributors.

To put it plainly: had you looked at even one resource for reloading the 6mm rem, it SHOULD have been very obvious. As such, it gives reason for others to question you.

Sincerely,
Tips