Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-19-2018, 11:07 PM

Default Salmon trip

Just got back from a trip up to Haida Gwaii --- fishing was slow and the weather conditions tough for the first 3 days. Got this on the last day and my biggest salmon to date girth 28 length 43

Old 06-20-2018, 05:15 AM

Oh my

How did it fight?
Old 06-20-2018, 06:02 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

That's a slab of fish for sure, congrats.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-20-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Oh my
How did it fight?
Shane I was on it for about 30 minutes. Several huge long deep runs. It would have been longer but at the end another boat called that a sea lion had slipped in the water and was headed our way. The guide yelled get the fish in here now. So I put as much pressure on as I could and we got lucky in netting it a little early. It weighs an even 44. Very good work by the guide on the net.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
Shane I was on it for about 30 minutes. Several huge long deep runs. It would have been longer but at the end another boat called that a sea lion had slipped in the water and was headed our way. The guide yelled get the fish in here now. So I put as much pressure on as I could and we got lucky in netting it a little early. It weighs an even 44. Very good work by the guide on the net.
Memory for a lifetime! Nice to hear you are enjoying your retirement. We should get together with our dogs one day!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Memory for a lifetime! Nice to hear you are enjoying your retirement. We should get together with our dogs one day!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Yes the I am starting to find a balance on the retirement side. Staying a little active consulting and more active with the things I like to do. Good idea on a workout day with the dogs. Need to plan a day when the temps drop. I will be starting to take a few chukar / pheasant trips July / August as tune up.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:03 AM
Banned

Who did you go with?
Nice fish!!!
Where did you guys fish?

I leave on Sunday for Sandpit Adventures.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:54 AM

Beauty of a fish !!! Where were you staying on the islands?
Old 06-20-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Who did you go with?
We were with Peregrine Lodge out of Naden Harbour - west of Masset. Very good lodge, we had good guides, great food and service. We fished last trip (late Aug) with this lodge in 2016 and I kept 4 springs and released 20. So the low number of salmon was unusual.

Quote:
Nice fish!!!
Where did you guys fish?
Our fishing was from in tight to about a mile out. We picked up one spring in 200 ft. and this one at 60. Fishing was very tough with an avg of 4 to 5 springs a day between 33 people. The lodge canvased other lodges on the northern end and they were all having the same results. The fish were either late or not there. Having the licence cut back from 2 a day and 4 in possession to 1 a day and 2 in possession makes me think that the run for that area will be low.

We had no issues for nice Halibut. I had a barn door on for quite a while until it spooled us out. Clearly an over and after fighting for an hour losing line and chasing it with the boat I am thinking that the next one like that I would ask for it to be cut loose to allow the focus back onto fish in the slot size.

Released fish - 2 pinks, several under Halibut, 3 lingcod, a number of yellow eye and rock fish

Quote:
I leave on Sunday for Sandpit Adventures.
One of the other guests on our trip had fished with this lodge and had very good things to say. I would be interested in hearing from you when you get back.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:58 PM
Banned

Thanks for the report.
Yes, I will do the same when I am back.
We will be fishing on the west side of the Islands. Just make that run through the channel each morning. It adds to the time spent traveling but the price is good.

Jamie