Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-21-2018, 03:26 PM

Default the bugs end of june, first week july - LaRonge

Looking at fishing last week of june or 1st week july lakes west of LaRonge, SK, Besnard or Pinehouse. What can I expect for bugs? Tolerable, Bad, Swarms? Is it blackflies, mosquitoes, horseflies, all above? First time up there, just looking to be preapared.

thanks.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:42 PM

the mosquitos in the evening will be bad, i remember a few years ago at Buffalo Narrows we would have our bunnyhugs on around the fire with the hoods tight around our face as the mosquitos would eat us alive.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:00 PM

Obviously depending on the weather but i would think june would
Be better then july. We went last year early july and the horse flies/mosquitos were insane. You may be suprised to find that the pike fishing is really good mid august around there because the weed beds are developed and hold really nice pike. And bugs are wwwaaayyy better, as is weather.

But if youre looking for wallys then the time frame youre talking about is better.

Good luck
Old 04-21-2018, 04:01 PM

I would plan on lots of Mosquitos and maybe some flies. I think flies are a more common problem later in the year.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:45 PM

Thanks guys. So, is there a mosquito-free time when the fishing is decent. Are the first 2 weeks of June prime for this reason?
Old 04-22-2018, 02:53 PM

Early June is prime but some lakes have areas closed off for spawning like Besnard. I always found the first week in July good and the bugs tolerable if it's been a cool spring like we have been having.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alder View Post
Thanks guys. So, is there a mosquito-free time when the fishing is decent. Are the first 2 weeks of June prime for this reason?
Short answer: No bug free time from ice-off to July. First 2 weeks are prime time because of mind-bending spectacular fishing.

I have spent a couple weeks a year for the last 10 years at Besnard spanning from the last week of May to the first couple weeks of July.

The best fishing is from ice-off to first week of July, especially if walleye is your quarry. This has nothing to do with the insects.

Like all things, the nuisance insects depends on the weather, but the skeeters are always bad in the evening.

2 out of the past 10 years, the black flies were very bad. It was quite rainy after a dry winter though---this created breeding pockets.

Last year, it was very rainy, followed by warmth. Repellent was mandatory from sunrise to 9am, then around 6pm to dark (about 1am). Some people may not need it, but I am particularly delicious to insects.

Horseflies require warm weather to be really active. They were bad 2 years ago, but that is the only solid memory I have of them.

1 out of the past 10 years, the insects were on for 24/hours. It was a week of perfect weather for them. Daily rainshowers with overnight lows of around 8C and daytime highs around 20C. This was a perfect storm for both blackflies and skeeters.

In short, the reason why the first 2 weeks of June are prime is because the fishing is almost unbelievable---blindly trolling crankbaits can produce 20-30 walleye per hour. If you use a fly rod, you can haul 30-40 pike in a 3 hour session (and yes, at this time of year, I will outfish my father-in-law about 3-to-1 with a fly rod). I have never experienced this kind of fishing in Alberta (or anywhere else, for that matter). Good luck.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy1979 View Post
Early June is prime but some lakes have areas closed off for spawning like Besnard. I always found the first week in July good and the bugs tolerable if it's been a cool spring like we have been having.
Besnard is open from 15 May. The area under the bridge connecting the 2 lakes is always closed. Within 200m of the river feeding Besnard is also always closed. It is a big frickin' lake though. These closures do not impact fishing at all.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:20 PM

I think the bugs were at their peak July long last year.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
Besnard is open from 15 May. The area under the bridge connecting the 2 lakes is always closed. Within 200m of the river feeding Besnard is also always closed. It is a big frickin' lake though. These closures do not impact fishing at all.
i agree its a big lake, the areas closed are where alot of the fish are spawning, that's all i'm saying.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:41 PM

I wouldn't plan your trip around mosquitos, I would just plan on them being there. Long sleeve shirts and pants and lots of good spray. The thermacell products help too and if you use them and spray should stay well protected.

A screen tent can also be nice if you want something to sit outside in without having to be doused in spray etc.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:11 PM

Thanks guys. This is all very, very helpful.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:59 PM

Bring good bug dope, bring a couple Thermocells.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:08 PM

Thermocells and Deepwoods off. If the horse flies are out, bring a suture kit as they take a chunk out of your flesh!!
Old 04-22-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
i agree its a big lake, the areas closed are where alot of the fish are spawning, that's all i'm saying.
My bad. I totally agreed with what you were saying, just meant to add on to it. The spawning areas are a LOONNGGGG way from the boat launches (except for the little connector gap under the bridge). I never travel that far east myself. I have already wrecked 2 propellers in the water that I should really know.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:09 AM

Horse flies usually are bad the first week of July. As for other bugs it was so wet up there last year depending on the weather it could snow ball and be off the charts this year.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
My bad. I totally agreed with what you were saying, just meant to add on to it. The spawning areas are a LOONNGGGG way from the boat launches (except for the little connector gap under the bridge). I never travel that far east myself. I have already wrecked 2 propellers in the water that I should really know.
ya there are definitely alot of hidden islands etc.... in that lake. I usually go right up to the north end, seem to have good luck there or right in front of Collins camp.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:55 PM

oops.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-24-2018, 06:16 AM

Quote:
ya there are definitely alot of hidden islands etc.... in that lake. I usually go right up to the north end, seem to have good luck there or right in front of Collins camp.
Did you stay at Collins camp? How is it?
Old 04-24-2018, 02:49 PM

I was up there when they had the fires 3 years ago, the horse flys would bite you through your cloths and leave a hole in your shirt. You cant make this stuff up lol

defn pack long sleeve shirts and pants of a heavy material. hoddies and jeans or rain gear should keep them out lol

those buggers were tough too, you could give them a good whack and they'd just shake it off and give you the 'come at me bro' look
Old 05-03-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Did you stay at Collins camp? How is it?
Collins camp is awesome, real nice people, the cabins are in good shape and nice lodge.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:16 PM

The bugs in La Ronge are bad in January. June, July, August, September are unbearable! Just hope it's windy!

BW
Old 05-04-2018, 05:14 AM
Banned

Default Mosquitos

Quote:
Originally Posted by alder View Post

I doubt
Old 05-04-2018, 08:21 AM

the first two weeks of june are prime as its just after ice out so the lakers are easy to target and the walleye coming in to the spawn.