Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-19-2018, 10:07 PM

Default Sylvan NEWS - Fishing in Sylvan Lake: Species in need of Recovery!

Interesting article published today in our local paper, looks like some changes are necessary for Sylvan. This should get the A/O community debating the topic.

Not sure why Walleye's are a concern, need to read the 2018 reg's.

D.

Sylvan Lake News, Myra Nicks, Apr. 19, 2018 1:00 p.m.

Photo Submitted: Franco Commisso, an angler from Edmonton with a northern pike 31 pounds and 45.5” in Sylvan Lake in mid-March, just before regulations changed to help the pike population in the lake recover.

Fishing in Sylvan Lake: species in need of recovery this year.

Current concern for Sylvan Lake is overharvest of Walleye and Northern Pike.

With the ice deteriorating and the ice shacks removed, recreational fishing is closed until May 14. As anglers prepare for the coming spring and summer fishing season, Alberta Environment and Parks and the Fish and Wildlife Policy Branch took stock of the lake and made decisions on size limits.

Senior Fisheries Biologist, Jason Cooper, and Fisheries Scientist, Michael Sullivan provided some background on the fisheries management objectives for Sylvan Lake for this year.

According to a report used for a consultation process last year, the current concern for Sylvan Lake is the overharvest of Walleye and Northern Pike.

A Fish Sustainable Index Adult Density Score is given to each fish species to decide whether it has a low risk, moderate, high or very high risk to sustainability.

To monitor the status of fish in the lake, scientists set gill-nets. The catch rate or fish per net reveals whether abundance is high or low. The catch in 2017 for pike was less than 1 adult per net which, compared to a “good catch rate” of more than 10, which means the pike are considered a very high risk to sustainability.

“Our monitoring also showed that few young pike are present (another bad sign),” wrote Sullivan in an email.

After surveying anglers across Alberta to ask about objectives for specific lakes, Sullivan found that most Sylvan Lake anglers were more interested in a “fishery that provided some harvest as opposed to a trophy fishery.”

“The trade-off for allowing harvest is that fewer fish get to very large size, so…you can’t have your cake and eat it too. The choice is harvest or trophy. Anglers at Sylvan chose the harvest objective.”

According to Sullivan, the issue of size limits and protecting breeding fish is complex and Alberta’s regulations allowing the harvest of big fish certainly seems wrong at first glance.

Sullivan gave this example to explain:

“A big 100 cm pike might have 100,000 eggs, and a smaller 60 cm pike may only have 25,000 eggs. If you were managing your live-well in your boat and have caught one big female and one smaller female, you would certainly save more eggs by releasing the big one. Makes perfect sense for your personal catch ratio of one big and one small fish.

Now, however, imagine you are managing not just your personal catch, but you are a biologist managing the entire lake’s fishery. That catch ratio is not one big fish to one small fish. At Alberta lakes, biologists analyze the catch of hundreds and thousands of anglers.

For every big female fish caught by anglers, there are typically 20 smaller females caught. For pike, that one big fish might have 100,000 eggs, but the 20-small fish would have, in total, 20 x 25,000 eggs or 1/2 million eggs.

Releasing the numerous small breeders and harvesting the one older fish puts many more eggs back into the lake (typically 5 times more eggs at most Alberta lakes). If anglers want to harvest a fish, it makes sense to keep the harvest of eggs low, and that means releasing the numerous small spawning-sized fish.”

“As you see, there is quite a difference between managing your catch and managing the entire lake.”
So how does the size limit or regulations tie into the reality of a fish population and the desired outcome? For Sylvan Lake it means temporary harvest restrictions, which translates to catch-and-release for a few years for the fish species at high risk.

“When Sylvan recovers (e.g., when the density rises from one fish to at least 10 fish per net) we will implement a different regulation, either a size limit or a tag system, depending on the fishing pressure,” wrote Sullivan.

Alberta’s biologists are responsible for ensuring fish populations are allowed to flourish and provide benefits for future fishermen. They use modern scientific knowledge and are highly trained in the complexities of fisheries management.

At most lakes, there are far more small fish than big fish. Typically, in Alberta, 20 anglers will each catch a small spawning-sized pike, and only one angler will catch a big pike.

Regulations’ requiring those 20 small spawners to be released saves many more eggs than releasing the one big fish. In the past 20 years, Alberta’s size limits on pike and walleye have changed fisheries from collapsed to healthier and more sustainable fisheries. However, there are some fisheries where further changes are required to address concerns, such as the case for Sylvan Lake.

“The catch-and-release regulation at Sylvan Lake is not to promote “trophy” fishing. It is to reduce the kill of fish until the population recovers,” wrote Sullivan.

What this means is anglers are asked not to do anything that would cause harm to the fish including holding the fish out of water, fishing in deep water or use techniques like certain hooks that can contribute to a damaged fish.

Sullivan encourages anglers to become better and more ethical fishers:

“There are lots and lots of great websites, articles and information out there on good fish release practices. Read up, learn what might work best for the way you fish.”

Myra Nicks with Michael Sullivan and Jason Cooper

Link to actual News Paper Article:

ttps://www.sylvanlakenews.com/news/fishing-in-sylvan-lake-species-at-risk-this-year/

Old 04-19-2018, 10:20 PM

Thanks for posting.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:22 PM

Here you go .... Sylvan Fish Keep limits:

Rules & Regulations are from Alberta Sustainable Resource Development

Burbot 2 - but limit 0 from Feb. 1 to Mar. 31.

Lake Whitefish 5

Northern Pike 0 - Catch & Release ONLY

Walleye 0 - Catch & Release ONLY

Yellow Perch 5

Link to Reg's ....

http://www.albertafishingguide.com/l...ke#regulations

No excuses for not knowing .... this will keep the LEO's busy this year.

Edit: Add the following .... Sylvan is open from May 15 to Oct. 31 and Dec. 11 to Mar. 31

Except for the portion of lake southwest of a line drawn from the northwestern most tip of the landfill pier in Sylvan Lake Provincial Park located at NW 33-38-1-W5M due northwest to the point on the shoreline
where the boundary between the town of Sylvan Lake and the Summer Village of Norglenwold meet the lake at NE 32-38-1-W5, including all tributary streams ... which is open from July 1 to Oct. 31 and Dec. 11 to Mar. 31.

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 04-19-2018 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:35 AM

That pike is not from Sylvan lol... Not even close
Old 04-20-2018, 06:19 AM

Default Sylvan NEWS - Fishing in Sylvan Lake: Species in need of Recovery!

Not sure where they get that walleye are over harvested... never has been a keep limit on them... maybe they should change that around a little since you can’t keep them off your hook in the summer! Great post though, makes ya think! I always thought that throwing back the big ones and keeping the smaller ones was good for everything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2018, 08:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutmathews View Post
Not sure where they get that walleye are over harvested... never has been a keep limit on them... maybe they should change that around a little since you can’t keep them off your hook in the summer! Great post though, makes ya think! I always thought that throwing back the big ones and keeping the smaller ones was good for everything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With today's biologists, having a zero retention on walleye is the in thing to do. This way they can overpopulate the lake to promote a more effective winterkill and control the population. It makes the granola eating vegans happy that the fish die of natural causes rather than being eaten by savages.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchthefisher View Post
I agree, that background does not match a single portion of that lake.

Also I don't where they are putting their gill nets but the walleye population in Sylvan has exploded in the last 10 years. I don't know a spot on that lake you cant find walleye. If anything those fish are becoming stunted, the average size is maybe 12-15 inches. With the increase in the walleye population the shiner and perch populations have declined rapidly. I think a walleye tag draw in Sylvan would benefit the walleye population, while increasing the forage and perch pops. Here is one of the numerous triple headers....to prove a point.

As well I have noticed that population of pike is healthy and there are some great trophies. I am strong believer of releasing big females of all species.

That being said enjoy a few great sylvan pike from this past year. Please excuse the blood in the one picture.. its from me not the fish. I got chomped removing the lure, you could take less damage from a paper shredder.

-J.Paul Getty
Old 04-20-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
What?? Don't you recognize that treeless area taken near the beach at the town site. All the person did was white out the town...

Nothing like checking your sources huh. CNP, we need your fake news pic added here
Old 04-20-2018, 11:45 AM

Yeah that pic is a prairie lake not sylvan, the bios need to actually look at lake populations and speak to fishermen before they change limits. A slot limit on pike perhaps and they probably could clean a few walleye out of there would benefit both fishermen and fish populations.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:04 PM

"anglers were more interested in a “fishery that provided some harvest as opposed to a trophy fishery.”

I am shocked. Just shocked.

J
Old 04-20-2018, 04:44 PM

So far some interesting comments was hoping most members would support sustaining the fishery by proper catch-and-release practices and reduce the kill of fish until the population recovers.

I don't target Pike nor keep any, the Mrs. doesn't care for them and I can't eat fish due to my allergies.

I support what the Fisheries Biologist and Fisheries Scientist state in the article, over the past 5 years I can say I haven't seen all that many Sylvan Pike while staring down the hole. As a matter of fact, last fall or at first ice I only seen & caught 1 Pike while fishin the Norglenwold Lighthouse area. In comparison when I was out on Gull/Sandy Point at first ice, I had all kinds of Pike attacking Vibro and/or my W/W's. I would like to see Zero Limits on Pike and Walleye for at least another 5 years. Let the kids have fun and promote proper C&R practices at Sylvan.

D.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:14 PM

Default bucket brigades

Those bucket brigades at sunbreaker cove are just one problem, to many taking on a c and r lake and little enforcement, some undercover enforcement at sunrise and sunset would be great too.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Old 04-20-2018, 06:05 PM

And in other news...... carp are now in blind man river. Bye bye whitefish and perch.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:30 PM

Global news today. Finding carp in blind man river.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
So far some interesting comments was hoping most members would support sustaining the fishery by proper catch-and-release practices and reduce the kill of fish until the population recovers.

I don't target Pike nor keep any, the Mrs. doesn't care for them and I can't eat fish due to my allergies.

I support what the Fisheries Biologist and Fisheries Scientist state in the article, over the past 5 years I can say I haven't seen all that many Sylvan Pike while staring down the hole. As a matter of fact, last fall or at first ice I only seen & caught 1 Pike while fishin the Norglenwold Lighthouse area. In comparison when I was out on Gull/Sandy Point at first ice, I had all kinds of Pike attacking Vibro and/or my W/W's. I would like to see Zero Limits on Pike and Walleye for at least another 5 years. Let the kids have fun and promote proper C&R practices at Sylvan.

D.
I'm with you for the C&R on pike Zip. I do like to eat pike but in all my catches at Sylvan I didn't keep one. Most of the pike where pretty large too and incidental catches while fishing for whites. I did see a couple last year when I fished and a couple more in the fall and there were all good size. One pushing 20 lbs for sure. But, anyone could easily tell they were disappearing and ole Molly was quickly becoming a legend.

3 over 63 was just ridiculous, not sustainable, and put the big girls at constant risk. When I first answered that one-sided survey I put in a lot of comments on Sylvan that I would prefer a trophy pike fishery. I think it has the forage to support it. What is unfortunate is the majority does not want that. So while I agree to close it for recovery before they are indeed all gone, I would rather it came back at something different to protect the huge pike it has left. But, if it comes as 1 over 63 cm or something like that... might as well keep it open now. Special lakes should have special regs - more adapted to that lake.

As for the walleye, Sylvan is not on the tag list yet. I suspect it will be shortly. I'm not sure what they are waiting for as it sounds like harvest is very possible already. When I'm fishing whites in the fall I see a lot of boats anchored up hammering walleye after walleye.

There are a lot of members on here claiming that the walleye will destroy a lake. We now have a 2nd looking glass at Sylvan to see if that will happen. Especially if they are slow to allow any harvest on wallies.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
For Sylvan Lake it means temporary harvest restrictions, which translates to catch-and-release for a few years for the fish species at high risk.
Just be prepared, it starts with 0 limit on walleye harvest like what happened to Crawling Valley Res. They said couple years to recover, well it's been somewhere around 15+ years already maybe 20+. and now 0 limit on pike. There are large numbers of smaller pike 3lb. & under in CVR and it's share of big'uns. Guess Sylvan needs to recover. I'm ok with zero retention but I hope not 15+ yrs. sheeesh. Look out Sylvan here it comes. Just a thought to ponder
Old 04-21-2018, 10:47 AM

I know 2 different lakes to compare but end result could be similar. As long as there are still fish to catch for the sport fisherman I'm in
Old 04-21-2018, 02:26 PM

The whole reason the jacks are in trouble is because the lakes full of stunted walleye. Every trip last year all we caught where piles of 1# walleye. Fishery management in this province is perplexing!
Old 04-21-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Just be prepared, it starts with 0 limit on walleye harvest like what happened to Crawling Valley Res. They said couple years to recover, well it's been somewhere around 15+ years already maybe 20+. and now 0 limit on pike. There are large numbers of smaller pike 3lb. & under in CVR and it's share of big'uns. Guess Sylvan needs to recover. I'm ok with zero retention but I hope not 15+ yrs. sheeesh. Look out Sylvan here it comes. Just a thought to ponder
25 years ago biologist jim stilfox said it would be 3 generations until harvest at crawling valley that's 21 years . we are well over that time from the first stocking of this lake. the lakes with zero walleye retention will never be opened under the current criteria . the sad part is the walleye out compete and eat the rest of the fish in the lake into what they call a collapsed fishery , then they close retention on the rest of the fish species .
Old 04-21-2018, 10:03 PM

Two words...

Slot Size

That is all.

Cheers,

Scott

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2018, 10:19 PM

There are people (high up) at F&W who do not want any harvest because they might have to enforce it and thus all the southern reservoirs are going catch and release. Crawling Valley classified as having dangerously low levels of walleye and pike is so laughable that it isn't worth discussing. You cannot drag a walleye spinner in CV at 20 feet deep during the summer anywhere in the lake without a hit every 15 minutes. The main problem with catching walleye at that time is you might get bit off by a big pike. So much bs.