Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-22-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
One of the main problem with Alberta is the allocation of funds. You hear so often that in order to get more funds for fish and wildlife in Alberta the licensing and tag costs need to be increased. Basically there is a users pay mentality. Meanwhile Saskatchewan collects way less money due to way fewer users by way of licensing and tags, but as a whole put a larger % of tax dollars towards managing fish and wildlife for the enjoyment of the people. To be clear I don’t have any data to support this, just seems a reasonable assumption based on population and license/tag prices and a comparison in what programs you see Saskatchewan implementing vs. Alberta.

It irks me to even think about some of the things that receive government funding in Alberta when fish and wildlife is so under funded. But just look at this years fishing regs and the government outright says they’re doing a fantastic job of fisheries management.
I have no issue with them raising our license fees. $28 is a ridiculously low price to pay for a years access to these resources.

Both SK and BC pay roughly $10 more per person. That would be around 3 million more for fisheries to spend in a year.

I'd say make it $50 but that would be a big jump and too many people would decide not to buy a license, need to raise it up a bit slower maybe with the aims of $50 5 or so years from now.