Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-17-2018, 08:39 PM

Default Should we be fishing for Sturgeon in Alberta?

So, I'm not playing the devil's advocate but have a question....

In Alberta sturgeon fishing is closed and yet quite a few people still go fishing for them. The reason I am wondering about fishing for them is because in reading one of the Western Canadian Game Warden magazines it mentions that in the other western provinces with sturgeon closures they do not even allow people to rig up or target sturgeon.

So, why are alberta anglers fishing specifically for sturgeon while Alberta has a recovery program and there are no sturgeon licences issued? How are these sturgeon anglers truly helping the recovery program? Should sturgeon even be targeted?

Some may say catch and release is not that harmful to the fish but that is not the point. The point is sturgeon fishing is closed. It is not a catch and release season like Alberta has at certain waters for other fish species.

IMO we do need to show some constraint for the benefit of the fish, the recovery program and the possibility of having this fishery in the future. To me it seems sort of selfish of the anglers that specifically target sturgeon during this closure.
This is only my opinion but I think these questions could make for a good discussion on the forum. Not to divide us but to talk about it.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-17-2018, 09:02 PM

100% agree.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:14 PM

I agree too. The same can be said for bull trout.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:32 PM

Default Sturgeon

While fishing for sturgeon always catch more walleye and gold eye than sturgeon. Would be impossible to charge someone for fishing for sturgeon, they could just say they were targeting a different species. The only way to to it would be a total closure of the river and nobody wants that
Old 03-17-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggy View Post
While fishing for sturgeon always catch more walleye and gold eye than sturgeon. Would be impossible to charge someone for fishing for sturgeon, they could just say they were targeting a different species. The only way to to it would be a total closure of the river and nobody wants that

Maybe not really so. If that person is actually rigged up for sturgeon it would be obvious.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-17-2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Maybe not really so. If that person is actually rigged up for sturgeon it would be obvious.
Even if a angler wasnt rigged for sturgeon fishing, please explain how to avoid a sturgeon biting a pickeral rig or any other set up not meant for sturgeon?? It would have to be a total river closure to angling...
Old 03-19-2018, 07:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggy View Post
I find the opposite on the SK side of the North Sask river. I have caught more sturgeon on a pickerel rig when targeting walleye than I have walleye in the few outings I have made to the river.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:

In Alberta sturgeon fishing is closed and yet quite a few people still go fishing for them. The reason I am wondering about fishing for them is because in reading one of the Western Canadian Game Warden magazines it mentions that in the other western provinces with sturgeon closures they do not even allow people to rig up or target sturgeon.

So, why are alberta anglers fishing specifically for sturgeon while Alberta has a recovery program and there are no sturgeon licences issued? How are these sturgeon anglers truly helping the recovery program? Should sturgeon even be targeted?

Some may say catch and release is not that harmful to the fish but that is not the point. The point is sturgeon fishing is closed. It is not a catch and release season like Alberta has at certain waters for other fish species.

IMO we do need to show some constraint for the benefit of the fish, the recovery program and the possibility of having this fishery in the future. To me it seems sort of selfish of the anglers that specifically target sturgeon during this closure.
This is only my opinion but I think these questions could make for a good discussion on the forum. Not to divide us but to talk about it.

You’ve been brain washed on a few different levels.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:22 AM

Wow. Sort of insulted ROA. I have not been brainwashed. I merely posed the questions and gave my own opinion.

I know there are anglers that are involved in targeting and tagging the sturgeon. While these anglers most likely enjoy the opportunity their mandate is to tag the fish for reasons other than pleasure.

I know that some sturgeon are caught on pickerel rigs but typically those rigs are not attached to 30+ lb. lines resulting in the sturgeon breaking off. The sturgeon are considered incidental and not the targeted species. My questions regarded specifically targeting the sturgeon.

F-Train 22 and Wayne Christie at least offer suggestions like a fish handling requirement with a licence, fixed weight restrictions and break away weights. Wayne also mentioned that sturgeon fishing is not closed, just retention is. I wonder if Wayne Christie would maybe answer this. Were you coached on the handling of the sturgeon you tag by F&W? And Wayne, you mentioned the same fish caught 3 times in 2 days...In your opinion do you think this fish was at all stressed by the third time caught?

Like I said at the start.. I am not playing devil's advocate but merely posing some questions. Like I mentioned other provinces have a sterner approach to the recovery programs. And thanks to those that choose to respond to my post and are willing to have an open discussion. Even ROA.

Last edited by Red Bullets; 03-18-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Wow. Sort of insulted ROA. I have not been brainwashed. I merely posed the questions and gave my own opinion.

I know there are anglers that are involved in targeting and tagging the sturgeon. While these anglers most likely enjoy the opportunity their mandate is to tag the fish for reasons other than pleasure.

I know that some sturgeon are caught on pickerel rigs but typically those rigs are not attached to 30+ lb. lines resulting in the sturgeon breaking off. The sturgeon are considered incidental and not the targeted species. My questions regarded specifically targeting the sturgeon.

F-Train 22 and Wayne Christie at least offer suggestions like a fish handling requirement with a licence, fixed weight restrictions and break away weights. Wayne also mentioned that sturgeon fishing is not closed, just retention is. I wonder if Wayne Christie would maybe answer this. Were you coached on the handling of the sturgeon you tag by F&W? And Wayne, you mentioned the same fish caught 3 times in 2 days...In your opinion do you think this fish was at all stressed by the third time caught?

Like I said at the start.. I am not playing devil's advocate but merely posing some questions. Like I mentioned other provinces have a sterner approach to the recovery programs. And thanks to those that choose to respond to my post and are willing to have an open discussion. Even ROA.
I don't think you know what playing the devils advocate means.

Anyways I completely disagree. Better training, maybe a blurb in the regs on the importance of proper handling but that's it. Can't wait to go sturgeon fishing.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
I don't think you know what playing the devils advocate means.
I merely meant I am not trying to start arguments.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:51 PM

Were you coached on the handling of the sturgeon you tag by F&W? And Wayne, you mentioned the same fish caught 3 times in 2 days...In your opinion do you think this fish was at all stressed by the third time caught?
I handnt even seen a lake sturgeon outside of an aquarium before I moved to the hood, safe fish handling is pretty much a no brainer, for most people anyways. After my first few I was invited to join another forum member in his boat and he was happy to add a few pointers for sturgeon specifically. the research program participants are trained in safe handling methods by the biologists especially pertaining to tagging Lake Sturgeon, the first and foremost responsibility is the fish's safety and well being. I would love to see training to buy a fishing license, at the very least a short online course in fish ID and safe handling methods. Its sad how many times Ive been approached by other anglers who have no clue about the sturgeon, some even upset that they were being released instead of taking them home to eat. I believe anyone who purchases a fishing license has the responsibility to know what they are doing when it comes to the id and handling practices.
Sturgeon caught multiple times, and Ive handled several now, even after a short recovery period seem no worse for wear, and just as energetic the next time

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-18-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:

Sturgeon used to be very plentiful. Once it was said the bottom of the NSR under the high level bridge was packed with them.

Using a circle hook catching sturgeon won't hurt the population.

However a thought would be to hatchery raise a huge pile from each drainage and boost the population.

Nice to see more...however last i heard the population was stable.

If you want a faster harvest fishery that won't happen. They take too long to start spawning.

As the population increases expect more and more fisheries to move to catch and release or tags as harvest is not sustainable otherwise.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...back-1.3649674

http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/...-A-Oct2012.pdf
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 03-18-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:51 AM

Quote:
The point is sturgeon fishing is closed. It is not a catch and release season like Alberta has at certain waters for other fish species.
There's a difference between closed and C&R. Sturgeon is 100% C&R but you can still actively target them when the body of water is open for fishing.

The same rig-up at the confluence will catch you virtually every species of fish down there, and no I'm not talking about a pickerel rig, although that would work too for virtually all of the species.

Having the right gear and knowing how to handle the fish when caught is key to ensuring the fish will recover. They guys using light tackle and letting them flop all around the boat or in the mud are causing untold harm.

I fully do not support your idea to close the recreational sturgeon fishery. I could potentially support something else like mandating a cradle net for a boat if it was done properly. But to outright close it, no thanks. We're under enough pressure as a group that we don't need to self-restrict ourselves.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:

I agree with you and have personally chosen not to target sturgeon for this reason.

While catch and release can certainly keep more fish in a system compared to catch and keep it is not with out consequences.

There certainly is some mortality involved with catch and release but even more so might be the other possible effects.

Certainly more research would be need to know for sure what the effects are. One careful study, in Germany on pike from a lake, indicated that the pike that were caught and released had a 40% decreased growth rate. Now I don't know if that would be true for sturgeon or not but I can't help to think that if it is indeed true decreasing growth by 40% each season would indeed have a major effect on recover of a fishery.

Hence why I have personally chosen not to target them.