Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz View Post
Fellas. Is the OP not talking about an antique firearm ?? If so, then what's the problem?
The enfield in 38s&w is not an antique no matter how old the pistol is. The 7.5 Swiss could be if his gun is old enough. If he is on his land and shooting an antique 7.5swiss he is not going to jail.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukongold View Post
Most jurisdictions have a law that you cannot discharge a firearm within one kilometre of another residence. If you are on private property and your residence is on that property, why could one not discharge a handgun legally in a remote area. For one, the liklihood of getting caught is zero, and whose interest would it be in to prosecute under these circumstances?

There are two types of lawyers: ones who know the law and the ones who know the judge.
In Alberta is it not 200 meters?
Old 03-14-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
In Alberta is it not 200 meters?
200 yards or 183 meters. And it is a Federal law. So at any location in Canada where there is not a provincial or municipal law in place to further restrict firearm usage then the 200 yard rule applies.

Example

Edmonton has a municipal bylaw for no discharge of firearm within city limits. This municipal bylaw trumps the 200 yard rule.

In Leduc County (rural) there are no county rules so the 200 yard rule applies. In Stratcona County the county Bylaw trumps the 200 yard rule in certain areas.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Why???? Post 74 is incorrect.
...and I'm still waiting for anybody to cite the applicable section of either the Firearms Act and/or CC that proves post #74 is incorrect.
ie;you are shooting your pistol from your back deck at targets in your backyard,the very same targets that you regularly,legally and safely plink with your .22LR on any given day.
RCMP show up to investigate noise complaint from new city transplant yuppy neighbors.Whats the charge??
"Common knowledge" that pistols are restricted to approved range use only doesn't cut it.If it's against the law,then there must be a law,yes?
And fire away...
Old 03-15-2017, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
You can only discharge restricted firearms where you are allowed by law to do so..... that pretty much means a CFO vetted and certified range.
I'm surprised this wasn't covered in your CFSC(R) course.
If anyone thinks that ranchers & farmers, many , many miles from a CFO approved range, are going to make the trip to shoot their restricted firearms, & make the long trip home again, then you're " Delusional". This goes on all the time & the RCMP, know it does, and look the other way. They know that those country folk are 99% not a threat to public safety, hell they probably even visit them occasionally to pop off a few rounds. I know this for a fact, as a retired RCMP told me so. I guess it's like, you can do whatever, Just don't get caught, -- we live in Canada/ everything's illegal. The only ones that won't move to somehow make it legal for hunting or wilderness use are the Politicians, because it buys them votes, duping people into thinking their safer if we RPAL holders leave them locked up in our safes. The wolves guarding the sheep.-----BS. People aren't so smart ,falling for that crap.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titegroup View Post
If anyone thinks that ranchers & farmers, many , many miles from a CFO approved range, are going to make the trip to shoot their restricted firearms, & make the long trip home again, then you're " Delusional". This goes on all the time & the RCMP, know it does, and look the other way. They know that those country folk are 99% not a threat to public safety, hell they probably even visit them occasionally to pop off a few rounds. I know this for a fact, as a retired RCMP told me so. I guess it's like, you can do whatever, Just don't get caught, -- we live in Canada/ everything's illegal. The only ones that won't move to somehow make it legal for hunting or wilderness use are the Politicians, because it buys them votes, duping people into thinking their safer if we RPAL holders leave them locked up in our safes. The wolves guarding the sheep.-----BS. People aren't so smart ,falling for that crap.
This is the biggest pile of garbage in this whole thread from the RCMP knowing
People shoot restricted and do nothing to the politicians not making wilderness carry legal to the fact that the firearms laws not being changed somehow is the hinge point on whether or not people get elected .

RCMP will not chase down a " maybe he's shooting" just in they might be able to convict someone any sooner than they will a bootlegger .
people can get a wilderness carry permit easier today than they could 20 years ago .

As for elections hinging on a firearms issue , well just because WE think it is important not everyone else does.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 03-15-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
This is the biggest pile of garbage in this whole thread from the RCMP knowing
People shoot restricted and do nothing to the politicians not making wilderness carry legal to the fact that the firearms laws not breing changed somehow is the hinge point on whether or not people get elected .

RCMP will not chase down a " maybe he's shooting" just in they might be able to convict someone any sooner than they will a bootlegger .
people can get a wilderness carry permit easier today than they could 20 years ago .

As for elections hinging on a firearms issue , well just because WE think it is important not everyone else does.
Cat
Sometimes it's tough" Cat" interpreting your posts, you might need spell check--LOL. But I do agree with you, the elections don't hinge on the firearm laws, and it might be easier to get a wilderness carry permit today, but only if it pertains to your employment( which I believe discriminates against the rest of RPAL holders). Trudope can legalize a drug which messes with your mind, ( recreational marijuana use) but won't legalize recreational use( other than at a cfo approved range) for RPAL holders---meaning wilderness carry. Of course - he has shares in the medical marijuana grow business, does that surprise anyone? Double standard Lib's, *****.

Last edited by catnthehat; 03-15-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:12 PM

The current Government (nor the last several actually)
Had nothing to do with restricted firearms not being allowed to be discharged unless at an approved range .if you are so adement that this is wrong just go ahead and do whatever you want , it will make as much difference as complaining about it on this forum anyway .
Cat
Old 03-15-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Why???? Post 74 is incorrect.
You may feel it is incorrect and that's your right but you need to post sections of the firearms act that support what you are saying. Yes ranges need to be CFO certified, and ranges that are certified for the use of restricted firearms are subject to more stringent regulations than non-restricted only. And restricteds are subject to CFO approval for licensing, possession and transport.

We are not talking about those things.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
The current Government (nor the last several actually)
Had nothing to do with restricted firearms not being allowed to be discharged unless at an approved range .if you are so adement that this is wrong just go ahead and do whatever you want , it will make as much difference as complaining about it on this forum anyway .
Cat
I prefer to abide by the rules as I value the " PRIVILAGE" of owning & using my Firearms. But I disagree that the Fed's have nothing to do Reg: where to discharge Firearms. It's a Federal Law( get it) enacted by the Gov't ( did you get that), & the CFO is appointed by either provincial or Federal authorities, ( hope you got all that). Yep, complaining won't do a thing to change any of it, cause we'll all be long dead before anything ever transpires regarding this matter.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:34 PM

You were insinuating that Trudeau was the cause of our restricted jaws and neither he nor the last many Prime Ministers in the last many years did not make those laws
You are arguing just argue so continue if you want to, even though I own restricted firearms your rants and complaints are hardly something I am worried about .....
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 03-15-2017 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
You were insinuating that Trudeau was the cause of our restricted jaws and neither he nor the last many Prime Ministers in the last many years did not make those laws
You are arguing just to argue so continue if you want to, even though I own restricted firearms your rants and complaints are hardly something I am worried about .....
Cat
Don't assume things I didn't say , I did not say Trudope enacted these laws nor Harper, they were signed into law by the Fed's.---- not by the Three Stooges. They also have the ability to look at & revise some parts of them, if they choose, but they are at the bottom of their priority list I'm sure. You're spelling gets worse the more riled you get.----

Last edited by catnthehat; 03-15-2017 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:50 PM
Banned

Soooo, what are you guys arguing about?
Old 03-15-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titegroup View Post
Don't assume things I didn't say , I did not say Trudope enacted these laws nor Harper, they were signed into law by the Fed's.---- not by the Three Stooges. They also have the ability to look at & revise some parts of them, if they choose, but they are at the bottom of their priority list I'm sure. You're spelling gets worse the more riled you get.----
Not riled up at all you are the one that mentioned our current Government is responsible for the laws and frankly as Gitrdun stated I have no idea what you seem to be Trying argue about , except for maybe trying to tell everyone there is no law which states we cannot shoot restricted firearms anywhere but a non approved range -
If you people are so right and everyone else is so wrong why don't you test the law yourself and let us know how you make out
I personally don't care .
Cat
Old 03-15-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Soooo, what are you guys arguing about?
I'm not trying to argue about anything, this is supposed to be constructive conversation. But as anyone can see , it's a losing effort--- so, over & out, all have a good night.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
200 yards or 183 meters. And it is a Federal law. So at any location in Canada where there is not a provincial or municipal law in place to further restrict firearm usage then the 200 yard rule applies.

Example

Edmonton has a municipal bylaw for no discharge of firearm within city limits. This municipal bylaw trumps the 200 yard rule.

In Leduc County (rural) there are no county rules so the 200 yard rule applies. In Stratcona County the county Bylaw trumps the 200 yard rule in certain areas.
Could you show me the federal legislation for the 200 yards? The only place I have ever seen that is in the Alberta regs.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:01 AM

Example

Does Edmonton restrict bows as well? Or can I hunt coyotes with a bow in a golf course?
Old 03-16-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little red riding hood View Post
Example

Does Edmonton restrict bows as well? Or can I hunt coyotes with a bow in a golf course?
Not sure, but I know if the golf course in Edmonton wants to discharge a firearm for pest/bird control then they need to apply for exemption with the municipal bylaw office
Old 03-16-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBomber View Post
Could you show me the federal legislation for the 200 yards? The only place I have ever seen that is in the Alberta regs.
You are correct, it is provincial legislation, thanks for pointing out my error.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:37 PM

Saskatchewan is 500 Meters

It is a violation to: hunt within 500 metres of a building, stockade or corral occupied by people or livestock without the consent of the owner or occupant in charge.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:59 PM

Why can I shoot powerful 308 rifle on a farm but can't shoot 9 mm pistol ?
Old 03-16-2017, 09:19 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry View Post
The law says so.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-16-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Saskatchewan is 500 Meters

It is a violation to: hunt within 500 metres of a building, stockade or corral occupied by people or livestock without the consent of the owner or occupant in charge.
City bylaws will state different.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:24 PM

Ok. No plinking on the farm with a handgun.

But hunting moose with one is still ok? I just have to have my WIN card on me at all times, right?

Good. Whew. Glad that got cleared up

Oh btw.

I was 15. I bought a 357, but father had to register it in his name.

I took it to the farm. Shot balloons, targets etc.

Two RCMP show up. I holstered the revolver. They asked how I was doing. Then, one walked back to his car, opened the trunk and brought out the exact same revolver, except the hammer was bobbed. S&W mod 586 Distinguished Combat Magnum.

We shot for 15 min, they let me shoot some ".38 +P rounds of theirs. Then I climbed onto a "kinda borrowed" motorbike, they got in their car and we all left. Zero issue. Different time, different place, same rules.

If I did that now, the world would implode. Sad
Old 03-16-2017, 10:46 PM

Yeah, it's a different world alright. We used to shoot gophers out of the old International farm truck 45 years ago too, when we were moving the sprinklers. The world might implode from shooting from a vehicle now too.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-17-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Yeah, it's a different world alright. We used to shoot gophers out of the old International farm truck 45 years ago too, when we were moving the sprinklers. The world might implode from shooting from a vehicle now too.
When did the world stop shooting gophers out of truck windows ?
Old 03-17-2017, 07:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
Well our dear leaders believe it is unsafe to do so. Or something like that.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It has nothing to do with safety, it's all about control.
Bingo!!
Old 03-17-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry View Post
Do not attempt to apply rational thought to Canadian gun laws. Most are irrational and arbitrary
Old 03-17-2017, 09:48 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
Southern Alberta drive by....pull up to gopher field, shoot, wait, shoot again and mosey on down the cow trail...great afternoon

Closed Thread