Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-05-2014, 10:09 PM
Banned

Default How Many Different Ways to Skin a Rat?

Just for fun and maybe give some of us rookies some ideas about skinning muskrats.

Being new at this game, I researched and tried numerous different methods to skin muskrats. This Spring I used vice grips to clamp one foot to the table and that worked pretty good. Yesterday, I tried putting the tail between my knees and do it that way. I found that method very clumsy and difficult.....thus the reason for me to ask about a disinfectant for cuts.

This summer I picked up a dog grooming apparatus at a yard sale for a couple of bucks and I decided to give it a try today. Well, I've found the method that I'll be using from now on and the easiest way for me by far. I attached a shoelace with a noose that I put a back foot into and let the rat hang there. The rat is secure, you can turn it like you want and once I determined the right height, it was very comfortable working that way. Once I'm done skinning I simply loosen the noose and drop the rat in the bucket....piece of cake! I figure that I was twice as fast today.

What's your method?

Last edited by HunterDave; 10-05-2014 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:15 PM

Dave I hang mine by a rope from the ceiling on the left hind leg. I use wire cutters first to cut all the tails off. I got quick enough to do a rat in 2 and a half minutes. I could do it faster but might make a hole. 2.5 minutes to me is decent time.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:30 PM
Banned

It took me an average of 11 minutes to skin/flesh/board a rat today working at a casual pace with a few breaks here and there. I'm not ready for anything quicker than that, but it's coming along. I should reach my 100th rat in a couple of days.....not in this season, in my entire life.....lol!
Old 10-06-2014, 08:20 AM

Default Skinning rats

I use the same sort of idea, but I hang from the ceiling with a small rope with a swivel on it. Big difference though is I put the noose on the tail. I make my hind leg to vent cuts first, the clip off all four feet. The rest is pretty standard from there.

Spruce
Old 10-06-2014, 10:51 AM

I lay mine on the table and cut around both hind legs. I cut from one leg to the other one both sides and then use my fingers to pry the skin loose and then pull to the head. I averaged a min or some times less depending on if the rat was shot or caged. Skinned fleshed and boarded in less then 4 min. Video or it didn't happen. I can post a video on YouTube and post the link here. It's too time consuming for.me to hang them.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:19 AM

I do like "coy coyote" basically.

I have a cable clamp mounted on my work bench which I use when skinning rats, mink, marten and smaller critters. Just clamp one hind foot then grab the other and stretch out and make your initial cut. Following the initial cut free the pelt from the hind legs and tail. Now remove the rat from the clamp and work your thumbs, or hand, up the back between the pelt and carcass to the head. Now grab the neck and shoulder with one and with the other work your fingers hand thumb between the pelt and carcass in the throat area. Then the pelt is worked down the belly pulling the front legs and finishing the pull in the groin area. Then the rat is placed back into the clamped, by a foot, and the head area skinned out as usual.

Once you get accustomed to this method it is very fast and efficient and generally prevents the spillage of innards, at least until nearly done.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy coyote View Post
I averaged a min or some times less depending on if the rat was shot or caged. Skinned fleshed and boarded in less then 4 min. Video or it didn't happen. I can post a video on YouTube and post the link here. It's too time consuming for.me to hang them.
Wow, that is super fast! I would love to see that on video.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Wow, that is super fast! I would love to see that on video.
That's the norm for rat skinners around here. 44 is super fast
Old 10-07-2014, 01:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy coyote View Post
That's the norm for rat skinners around here. 44 is super fast
Here's a 44 second muskrat skinning!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdacVdYtekg
Old 10-07-2014, 04:08 AM

I skin the exact same way. Try a few I guarantee you'll like it. I skinned for years with a clamp or with the legs tied up to the ceiling. But this spring I had lots of rats and hardly anytime to skin and board.