Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-18-2013, 10:59 AM

Default Why not a Canadian?

There is a huge demand for the products that both Brownells and Midway sell. I've always wondered why some company that's already Canada based doesn't buck up and set up something of the same business model. Everything that they sell except for some in house products are available from stand allow suppliers that should be able to sell in to Canada. If you look hard enough you can find anything and everything you want in this country, it's just spread over six different shops. At some point you have to decide what's a priority for you or get killed on the shipping from multi-dealers. Either of this companies would be a real plus, but I'd rather see some Canadian based company step up.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:18 PM

^^^^^^^^

Supply.....

Ask any Canadian retailer that when it comes to selling firearms related stuff, the market is there they cannot keep up with supply.

As big as it is in Canada it is waaaay bigger in the US for that reason the US eats the supply....

That's the crappy thing about it, in Canada we are small potatoes.

At one point the State of New York had more people than all if Canada....

LC
Old 03-18-2013, 12:24 PM

Old 03-19-2013, 06:52 PM

Wink

Go figure Cat, I'm about in the same boat,though got really dizzy standing up . LOL!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:16 PM

I would like to be able to order from a website that lets you know if the item is in stock and gives you a price. Its too bad somebody in Canada can't put something together, I was looking for a scope after two weeks of emails and phone calls I gave up on my first choice and ordered another product from someone else. After two days:

"Thank you for your order.
We have the scope that you ordered in transit from our supplier and it will be shipping to you next week.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions."

This was a success story compared to other Canadian web shopping I have attempted.

BTW Midway had both scope in stock 25% cheaper, add to cart and your done.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:40 PM

As a supplier of Gun related parts I have mixed feelings about Midway, my first feeling is "i don't like them " and not because they are competition but when i was trying to get my business going and get some more suppliers they messed me around for about 6 months on a dealer account , In the end they told me that Canada was such a small market that it was not really worth their while dealing with Canadians , now i could be wrong but i believe that they did stop dealing with all Canadians ,now they want to Open Store.... Oh well thats business . I know it will hurt my business for a while but it may also help. I work on low margins and do not gouge my customers so i hope to retain those customers on some level , hey if they can buy it for less and get the same product and service for less i won't blame them, because if Midway can offer something to me and if it is the same product and same service i will use them. Now Brownells for my sake i hope never come to Canada because that company has great service/ great product and a great attitude and they would really hurt my business . I am sure that those that have been a bit too heavy on the pencil and low on the service will suffer the most . So Midway welcome to Canada and treat the people good or they will be buying from me
Gary
Bighorn Sales
Old 03-19-2013, 08:07 PM

I on the other hand would love to see both MidwayCanada and Brownell's here. I did a search on Bighorn Sales and nothing came up. Gary what do you guys sell, I've never heard of you guys before.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It was new, and people flocked in to see what they had to offer. I have been in that store exactly once, during that first week, just like many people. How do you suppose the weekly sales compare to other stores in the chain now that the newness has worn off?
Sales per sq. ft it is still number one
Old 03-20-2013, 08:58 AM

Midway coming to Canada isn't that exciting really....it will just be one more place to find out that what you want is "out of stock" or "Not backorderable"...I have much better luck from independent Canadian businesses.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:43 AM

Default Midway Canada??

The only thing I see Midway bringing to Canada will be all the easy stuff. When it comes to Manufacturers getting the export permits to sell into Canada it will be a tough sell. Most US companies won't pay the $$$ or invest the time to get the export permit. When they can't keep up to the US market why would they. It is all about business with them. That being said this is driven by the US govt. I have a trucking company and they are actually setting up south of the border crossings, inspecting vehicles for " firearms related stuff" in the hands of Canadians that cannot be legally exported anymore without proper paperwork. With regards to Bighorn Sales, Gary Eakin is building me a gun right now. He is the Cdn Distr. for Pacific Tool and Gauge and Benchmark Barrels. Seems like he can get his hands on anything I asked for as well. I think, but dont quote me, he is carrying Nesika actions and also is a distributor for Dakota Arms. For what it is worth, all my experiences with Bighorn Sales have been very positive.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:04 PM

Any updates? Their site is still "coming soon"... According to the update on March 19.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter270win View Post
The only thing I see Midway bringing to Canada will be all the easy stuff. When it comes to Manufacturers getting the export permits to sell into Canada it will be a tough sell. Most US companies won't pay the $$$ or invest the time to get the export permit. When they can't keep up to the US market why would they. It is all about business with them. That being said this is driven by the US govt. I have a trucking company and they are actually setting up south of the border crossings, inspecting vehicles for " firearms related stuff" in the hands of Canadians that cannot be legally exported anymore without proper paperwork. With regards to Bighorn Sales, Gary Eakin is building me a gun right now. He is the Cdn Distr. for Pacific Tool and Gauge and Benchmark Barrels. Seems like he can get his hands on anything I asked for as well. I think, but dont quote me, he is carrying Nesika actions and also is a distributor for Dakota Arms. For what it is worth, all my experiences with Bighorn Sales have been very positive.
Most companies already have their permits in place. eg stuff that Brownell's ships to us. The only reason that MidwayUSA quit selling to us is because they screwed up and got caught and received a huge fine.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrabbit000 View Post
Most companies already have their permits in place. eg stuff that Brownell's ships to us. The only reason that MidwayUSA quit selling to us is because they screwed up and got caught and received a huge fine.
Can you clarify or lead me in the right direction on what they got caught with. Didn't know they got nailed for something.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
Can you clarify or lead me in the right direction on what they got caught with. Didn't know they got nailed for something.
The reason why MidwayUSA will not ship to Canada is they had to pay a major fine for shipping some ITAR controlled rifle scopes to Canada. Now they won't sell us anything.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:15 PM

are they still coming?
Old 04-27-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
What access?

Ruger told Canadian companies not to bother with 2013 import licenses because they have nothing to ship here due to not being able to meet the demand in the US.

Hornady is 1 year behind on their Ammo supply. They have gone to 3 shifts a day, 6 days a week, with day 7 cleaning the equipment. They still can't meet the demand

Kel Tec has a 6 year backlog for the KSG, Canadian companies have told people on their waitlists the gun is not coming, demand in the US is to high.

A company that makes underground plastic Cache containers for Ammo sold out of 1 years production in mere days.

Unless we start producing our own stuff here, I don't expect to be having any more access to anything.

Stores there are putting in Ammo orders 1 full year in advance and still not getting their full supply.
I thought there was a company in calgary that make ammo,hmmmm whats wrong with them.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:36 PM

I looked at some pricing and not a big savings if any, hmmmmmmm
Old 04-28-2013, 12:18 AM

It's more about getting stuff than saving money on unobtanium.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:42 AM

Savings will be minimal, business conditions in Canada are far different than Stateside. Different and needed inventory is what I'm hoping for.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-28-2013, 07:49 AM

Default Midway

Likely won't have the gun parts like barrels ,mauser custom parts etc.Harold
Old 04-28-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach123 View Post
I thought there was a company in calgary that make ammo,hmmmm whats wrong with them.
www.canadianbdx.com

Could you be referring to this company?
They manufacture bullets and commercially reload but do not produce brass as of yet. No store front the last time I dealt with them but are located in Black Diamond and have great plans for the future.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:14 PM

Another factor that might be keeping American products out of Canada that I don't think anyone mentioned yet is bilingual labeling requirements. I tried to find a Canadian source for Brownell's Oxpho Blue over the winter and failed. One of the shops I visited told me it couldn't be imported because they didn't want to bother with adding French to the packaging and instructions. I tried to confirm this by reading the applicable law but my eyes glazed over in a matter of seconds. So I don't know if it's true or just the guy in the store speculating.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinator View Post
Another factor that might be keeping American products out of Canada that I don't think anyone mentioned yet is bilingual labeling requirements. I tried to find a Canadian source for Brownell's Oxpho Blue over the winter and failed. One of the shops I visited told me it couldn't be imported because they didn't want to bother with adding French to the packaging and instructions. I tried to confirm this by reading the applicable law but my eyes glazed over in a matter of seconds. So I don't know if it's true or just the guy in the store speculating.
Probably just speculating. That same rumor was going round about Birchwood Casey's Tru-Oil. I EM'd them and got a responce within an hour or two....turns out...
It was a ban on some of the chemicals listed on the MSDS sheets that were used to make some of the products. The shipping of Tru-oil back into Canada would resume once again in Nov / 2012...and it did...easy to find once again.